Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Passenger space on rear seat in Cayenne + Hybrid or diesel issues? + must have option

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Passenger space on rear seat in Cayenne + Hybrid or diesel issues? + must have option

Hi Everyone,

We are thinking of getting a 2013-2015/16 Hybrid or diesel to replace our five series. Any issues or must have options I should consider? Also, what sort of real world economy can I expect? for say the hybrid and the 3.0 diesel?

Finally - how roomy is the back seat? We have two teenagers and a grandma to transport so will the kids be moaning about elbow room or are they going to have a nice journey?

Any and all comments very welcome.

Regards,

David
Old 08-24-2018, 03:51 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Caveman
Hi Everyone,

We are thinking of getting a 2013-2015/16 Hybrid or diesel to replace our five series. Any issues or must have options I should consider? Also, what sort of real world economy can I expect? for say the hybrid and the 3.0 diesel?

Finally - how roomy is the back seat? We have two teenagers and a grandma to transport so will the kids be moaning about elbow room or are they going to have a nice journey?

Any and all comments very welcome.

Regards,

David
i have a 2011 turbo and I've had two babyseats and... "heavyset" adult in the back so there is quite a bit of room, more than a Camry at least.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:42 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Boxsternewbie,

That helps as I know baby seats (mine are teenagers now) take a fair bit of room plus the "fat bloke" as we like to say in the UK.

Cheers,

David
Old 08-24-2018, 05:14 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

There is good room for two teens or adults in the back. I wouldn't want to go 3 wide across the back unless they were smaller kids. I find the back seat a little bit uncomfortable due to the seat itself. It may just be personal preference but, to me it's not as comfortable as a 5er. Full disclosure: I've never ridden back there, just sat there while cleaning the car while appreciating how much more comfortable the 14 way seats are than the back seat.

I have a diesel and average around 31-32 mpg on the highway and anywhere from 23-29 mixed use depending on how much stop and go and how much of a hooligan I'm being.

Having just gone through the shopping process myself I would say option wise you want premium or premium plus and bose at a minimum. Air suspension is good to have but, not a must have. It can be a bit difficult to find in the diesel as well. That said being able to drop the height of the vehicle might be nice depending on how spry granny is. I originally thought I wanted the pano roof but, in the end I'm kind of glad I don't have it, mostly because I hear it can transfer a lot of heat. So personal preference on that one. Roof rails and towing package if you think you need them. The towing package can be added after the fact but, it's not very easy or cheap and to my knowledge the roof rails are not able to be added after the fact. If you are an apple person you might want to look for a 15+ with car play. Coming from BMW the media integration is not as user friendly.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:31 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Thanks hotrod; very useful. Grandma is pretty small and the kids are eleven and fourteen and fairly slim so we are reasonably OK for now; I am thinking of the future. I am not sure that we have premium and premium plus options here in the UK. Do people upgrade speakers, etc. if they don't have the Bose option?

Cheers,

David
Old 08-25-2018, 05:54 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2016 ehybrid (purchased end-Mar 2016), and over 30Kmi, lifetime fuel economy is ~46 MPG. This includes multiple roadtrips, but mostly driving in EV mode around town. We maybe visit the gas station once every 1300mi based on our driving pattern. However, what that has meant is frequent "short trips" on the ICE, which means more frequent oil changes due to gasoline contamination in the oil. See thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-e-hybrid.html

Because of this, i change the oil every 5Kmi. However, this can vary entirely based on your driving habits. If you sustain engine oil temps above 220F for 30min once or twice a week, you shouldn't have this issue.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:36 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

If you haven't - you might want to read: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html - If you have, nevermind..
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

I have the Pano room. With the shade closed there's no significant amount of heat radiating down from it. I'm pretty tall and would likely feel it otherwise. And this being in the relatively sunny and hot summer climate of the US mid-Atlantic. I wouldn't let that discourage a purchase. That and I'm not sure it'd be sunny enough in the UK to have this ever really be an issue, right?

It is nice having the air suspension. Switch to the low position (not loading) does lower the entry height a fair bit. Not quite as low as a sedan, but lots closer than you'd expect from an SUV.

I have a '17 GTS (V6, twin turbo, 'petrol', 440hp) and driving like a hooligan (as is my preference) often sees 15mpg. If consumption is an issue then diesel owners report significantly better figures. Never really heard much about hybrid consumption, if only because that probably appeals to a different demographic than likely found here on the forums.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:34 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts

Just my two cents. My wife wanted a Panamera, and when she heard that they made a hybrid....her mind was made up. We have had some issues with it. Three warranty claims later no more problems, but each time was a pain, and took a while for dealer to figure it out. I wouldn't buy another one. I bought the diesel Cayenne, and I am very happy with it. One warranty claim for cabin vibration, and ir was fixed. I get decent mileage for a heavy SUV (lot of in town driving)....about 25 on average. Only have had one long trip when I bough it and drove home. It was about 400 miles, and when I pulled into the driveway, I still had a half a tank left.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:57 PM
rwagz
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Just my two cents. My wife wanted a Panamera, and when she heard that they made a hybrid....her mind was made up. We have had some issues with it. Three warranty claims later no more problems, but each time was a pain, and took a while for dealer to figure it out. I wouldn't buy another one. I bought the diesel Cayenne, and I am very happy with it. One warranty claim for cabin vibration, and ir was fixed. I get decent mileage for a heavy SUV (lot of in town driving)....about 25 on average. Only have had one long trip when I bough it and drove home. It was about 400 miles, and when I pulled into the driveway, I still had a half a tank left.
Would you please tell me more about your cabin vibration issue? I'm noticing it on mine but am not sure if it is normal or excessive. What did they fix?

Quick Reply: Passenger space on rear seat in Cayenne + Hybrid or diesel issues? + must have option