Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

When to replace battery - any signs prior to failure?

Old 08-18-2018, 12:32 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts
Default When to replace battery - any signs prior to failure?

When to replace the battery - any signs prior to failure?
We have a 2013 diesel that spends most of the time off-road - long distances from paved roads.
Have y'all noted any behaviors prior to the battery needing replacement? --- Thanks!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I just did mine. I’m in mild weather socal and it would just crank a little slow from dead cold on my diesel. Being 5+ years old i just swapped it. I’m sure it had another year in it tho.

I replaced mine with a very fresh date autozone platinum h8 agm. Physically it was identical to the factory battery same markings and all.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:14 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

FWIW - on my 2013 Carrera S the voltage started reading high -- in the mid to upper 14-teens ... only had the Cayenne a year and don't know yet.....
Old 08-18-2018, 04:50 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Hey Richard, you should find someone or a shop with a Midtronics battery tester to check your battery's health to help you decide whether to replace or not.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:43 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer your question, yes, several listers here have reported electrical/electronics issues, IIRC, before their batteries gave up the ghost. After reading their posts, I went ahead and had a local indy P shop swap out the original Varta battery in my wife's '14 S with a fresh Bosch model from Pep Boys. I figured better safe than sorry and PB even gave me back my core charge when I handed the Varta over even though I didn't have a receipt. I thought that was quite cool!

TXCOMT
Old 08-21-2018, 09:27 AM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I changed mine as a preventive maintenance too. It is pretty easy to do it on your schedule, when you want. It is a real pain in the *** to do when it fails. You need the drivers seat electric motors to work. I bought the battery, and triple square socket at pep boys. The DIY on here somewhere is really accurate and helpful. I used the battery from my computer backup battery to power the car during the swap. I paid about 200 for the Bosch battery and socket and it took me about an hour. Any battery failure would have cost MUCH more time and money.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:25 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
We have a 2013 diesel that spends most of the time off-road - long distances from paved roads.
If this is true and you're on the original battery (is the carpet under your drivers seat cut?) replace it now - your battery is likely six years old and is already on borrowed time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When to replace battery - any signs prior to failure?