Used Cayenne purchase help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 04:11 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Used Cayenne purchase help

Hi All,

Just beginning to research purchase of a Cayenne for the wife. I am trying to stay around $40k and miles under 40k. Initial targets seems to be a 2014 S. Can I do better? What are some of the must have options? We typically lease an SUV for her but this will be our first "keeper" SUV and I would really like to make sure we tick all the right boxes. I would love a GTS but then I think mileage becomes a concern. We plan to keep the car for about 6-7yrs and drive it approx 12k/mi a year. Is it safe to assume I will want to dump the car around 100k miles?

Is CPO necessary on these cars? I am usually comfortable with things out of warranty providing the model is not prone to failure.

Are these traded like 911s where the good ones are sold at Porsche dealerships or private sale while the ones too avoid are usually on used-car lots? How can I find a well priced but clean example?

If there is a buying guide that someone can link me to, that would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:27 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 158 Posts

Best bet is to buy one from a dealer and buy CPO. Repairs are expensive, so you want to put payng for them off as long as you can. As far as must haves for me are heated and cooled seats, lane change assist, entry and drive, and the Bose audio (not because it is good, but is acceptable compared to base which is really lousy). There are plenty of wants, but most of my wants are hard to find. Be patient, and you will find what you are looking for. Some dealers will negotiate, and some have a "take it or leave it" style. Porsche makes it easy to seek CPO cars, because they have a great portal. Just put in your zip and how far out you want to look. I personally would look nationwide. A PPI and trucking are well worth finding the right car. Pricing is different by region, so some areas of the country are cheaper than others. Also, salespeople will video the car for you.

Here is the link for your search: https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/
Old 08-12-2018, 04:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor
If there is a buying guide that someone can link me to, that would be appreciated. Thank you.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html Right at the top of the forum..
Old 08-12-2018, 04:57 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I have read through this and it seems to me much of the issues raised are catastrophic but not typical.

Is the beige dash glare class action real? I chuckled.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I have read through this and it seems to me much of the issues raised are catastrophic but not typical.

Yes it was. Right now the closest to "typical" is probably the transfer case issues.. and it probably won't lessen until all the Cayennes have new cases with correct venting.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:58 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Yes it was. Right now the closest to "typical" is probably the transfer case issues.. and it probably won't lessen until all the Cayennes have new cases with correct venting.
If the transfer case has been replaced (under warrenty or not), does the replacement unit have a different design to prevent future failure?

I suppose I need to buy a CPO if the replacement has not been completed or purchase a car that has this addressed.

Are there years where failure is less prevelent? I just went through this with my 997.2 purchase re: bore scoring and IMS/RMS. Sheesh.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:56 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I have the beige dash and the reflection is non existent for me. I don't look at the windshield, I look through it.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:20 AM
deilenberger
Banned

If the transfer case has been replaced (under warrenty or not), does the replacement unit have a different design to prevent future failure?

I suppose I need to buy a CPO if the replacement has not been completed or purchase a car that has this addressed.

Are there years where failure is less prevelent? I just went through this with my 997.2 purchase re: bore scoring and IMS/RMS. Sheesh.
People have had multiple cases replaced. From the photos of a torn-down case that was causing problems - it's failure appeared to be caused by moisture getting into the case and causing the clutch disks to rust. Once they rust they get sticky and the case no longer transfers power smoothly under conditions where the clutch is slipped. That can then cause chain stretch in the case - adding additional klunking to the symptoms. Porsche did add a remove vent kit to the later replacement cases - probably within the past 2 years or so. The original design of the case was with a vent right on top with a rubber "birds-mouth" closure. The problem was - Porsche also added an air-scoop under the transfer case to blow air at the clutch area of it, I suspect due to heating issues. The scoop was probably effective for air - but also much more effective if you ran through water over about 8" deep (or splashed through a big puddle) - when that happened the scoop picked up lots of water, tossed it at the output CV joint for the forward axle, which then spun it up so it ended up right where the vent for the case was located. Porsche addressed this with the vent kit and a deflector for the water that kept it away from the CV joint.

So - long story short - one with a vent kit and the deflector is more likely to be troublefree - and you can help it along by doing regular oil changes (most of us have settled on 10-20,000 mile intervals) with the correct fluid. That helps keep the inside of the case water free.

CPO is always a good idea and I can't think of anyone who got a CPO car who regretted getting CPO.(probably is someone somewhere though.. so expect to hear from them..)
Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 AM
slickrick68
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would opt for the facelift if possible. There are deals out there, but the good ones move fast. I was fortunate enough to pick up a 2016 S for under $50k this year and still under a factory warranty. Love the car!

Quick Reply: Used Cayenne purchase help