Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

'15 CTT water running onto rt. ankle in semi hard right turns.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '15 CTT water running onto rt. ankle in semi hard right turns.

Recently I have had water running onto the top of my right foot at the ankle when making right turns (except when going very gently). A passenger told me this week that the same thing was happening in the passenger footwell. Sometimes the water is VERY hot. It seems like a tablespoon or two. I'll also sometimes see a few water drops on the floor of the garage just inside the front of the drivers door. There will at times also be condensation along the bottom or at the corners of the inside of the windshield. It doesn't happen on every turn so it seems that it needs to build up. Also, it went from never having happened to startling me around a month ago when it nearly scalded my foot while accelerating onto a right turn onramp.

Could this be condensation building up from somewhere and not draining properly? I'm in So CA where it has been warm w/AC running.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 08-01-2018, 05:49 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

In the Cayenne, there are 8 primary sources of unauthorized water in the cockpit, at last count. As a 2015 model, I suspect you still have warranty. Use it if you have it. Some listed have happened to me. Kind of in order of most likely to least likely, generally speaking, sort of....:

1., 2. Driver and/or passenger cowl drains are clogged. Check out DIY section
3. HVAC condensate drain clogged up. Affects passenger sided floor only. Multiple threads on easy clean out from the passenger side.
4., 5. Driver and/or passenger front sunroof drains get clogged with debris, or the driver's drain into the cowl gets pinched against a wire loom in the cowl. The drain line runs down the respective side's A-pillar. If interrupted by line break or overflow, water ends up in the floor of the respective side
6., 7. Rear passenger sunroof drains. Can get clogged but there is history with the drain line disconnecting from the sunroof or splitting. If the water does not make it all the way back to the drains in the rear as designed, it typically flows down the c-pillar on to the respective floor or sometimes into the spare tire compartment
8. Rear AC unit condensate drain. Not many installed so not many stories for this one.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Hi Bill,

The water is clear and hot? Very odd. If it was a leaking heater core - I'd expect it to be orange color. And have some odor to it.

You may want to familiarize yourself with:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-diy-224/

Specifically - several articles there:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...clean-out.html - since it's happening on both sides - it's unlikely that it's the HVAC drain, but that's worth checking anyway while you're in the area.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...vac-drain.html - This covers cleaning the HVAC drain. It's worth doing.

And the final one - the result of having water sit in the footwells: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-moisture.html

That may not happen immediately. Chances are - if it's been wet for a while - it will happen, so when you start experiencing oddball electrical problems - that's the DIY you need to read. The foam padding under the carpets is amazingly thick in spots - up to almost 3 inches. It can hold a LOT of water for a LONG time before it ever becomes wet at the top of the carpet. I do the cowl drain cleanout annually after my oak trees stop shedding their fuzzy pollen strings. Ditto on the HVAC drain - usually when I'm changing the HVAC filter (I have allergies - so this is an annual thing - filter is cheap, job is pretty easy, so I just do it.) Since I've started that routine I no longer have surprise floods.

One thing that should be done promptly is to get as much water out of the footwells as possible - that involves prying the edge of the carpet up from under the door-sill and under the dead-pedal/kickplate in the footwell, and propping it up with something while you use old towels and squeezing of the foam rubber to get as much water out as possible. Done promptly will greatly lessen the potential for wiring damage, or black-mold buildup in the foam. Some people prop it up, use the towels, then put a dehumidifier in the back of the car and leave it running for a day or two.

Of course, since you're probably still under warranty - you could just drop it off at the dealer and say "Fix this.."
Old 08-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks JR and Don. I appreciate the detailed help.

Yes, its clear but can be different temps. A couple of times it was extremely hot but not scalding. I can't think that it can be anything other than AC condensation that is not draining. I haven't used the heater since this started but lots of AC. I need a service so I'm taking your advice and bringing it it to the dealer. I haven't used

Regards,
Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

my cayenne has a sloshing sound on the lower part of the driver's side doors. I'm planning on cleaning the cowl drains, the ac condenser line, and looking at the sunroof drains. My vehicle has the sport design package, so I do not have direct access to the 3 rocker panel drains on each side of the vehicle. This is due to the side skirts. Does anyone know how to remove these to gain access to the drain plugs? My old cayenne was easy as it did not have side skirts. Any help would be appreciated. I've searched everywhere!~!!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:48 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 8202632
my cayenne has a sloshing sound on the lower part of the driver's side doors. I'm planning on cleaning the cowl drains, the ac condenser line, and looking at the sunroof drains. My vehicle has the sport design package, so I do not have direct access to the 3 rocker panel drains on each side of the vehicle. This is due to the side skirts. Does anyone know how to remove these to gain access to the drain plugs? My old cayenne was easy as it did not have side skirts. Any help would be appreciated. I've searched everywhere!~!!
I've had that issue on the passenger side recently. I took some photos and have not gotten around to writing up a DIY. Send me an email and I'll send you a few pictures. My email is my RL username at gmail
Old 10-24-2018, 04:20 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Interesting, I had the same issue. I am in Northern California and without rain, its a little hard to confirm. However, I did find that I had the same thing just after I had filled up the car and cleaned the windscreen! A little while later going around a right turn and I ended up with a cup full of water on my foot!

Didnt seem to be the sunroof and already cleaned out the drains in the wheel wells, so suspected it was something blocking the drain from the windscreen. Tried the pouring water trick and check where it comes out. Pouring on the driver side resulted in the water seemingly coming out the left hand side! Very odd. A little hunting around and cleaning out of the upper drains and I could then see that water was pouring out the driver side again. Seems to be a few drain points under the car from water poured on the windscreen, so suspect one or more had become blocked. No resulting water dumped on my foot since - so suspect its the drains from the windscreen to the top of the firewall section and maybe a build up of leaves / crud caused it.

Of course, heading into the rainy season, so I guess I will find out soon enough.

Quick Reply: '15 CTT water running onto rt. ankle in semi hard right turns.