Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

anyone towing an RV (travel trailer)?

Old 07-09-2018, 03:01 PM
terrellswansonmd
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone towing an RV (travel trailer)?

We just bought a 32 ft travel trailer that weights 6,700 (which includes the tongue) and the RV center didn't seem to even second guess our 2014 Cayenne GTS as the tow vehicle. I've only seen 1 mention here of pulling an RV in all the threads I've searched and it was with the older gen Cayenne. Anyone with any experience pulling a heavier RV with a new Cayenne? We had a brake controller installed and a sway-bar, and we have air suspension. After hooking up the car and RV were perfectly level. I towed it across town and power was definitely not an issue, nor the brakes. The only nerve-wracking part was anytime any car passed me...it definitely pushed and pulled us within our lane. But I don't know if that's normal? I'm gonna be really pissed if I trade it in to buy the new Ram and I get the same sensation on the highway with it! We've had our baby for 4.5 years and I want to keep it for 4.5 years more!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:10 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I haven't towed one with it yet but, that is one of the main reasons we got the CD. There's a couple of guys on the airstream forums that use the cayenne/touareg/Q7 to tow with and at least one guy on youtube. They regard these guys pretty highly for getting your tow setup sorted out. http://www.canamrv.ca/
Old 07-09-2018, 06:42 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a 24' race trailer, loaded it weighed about 9K lbs. I towed it with F250, single axle. When big trucks passed me, the trailer would sway. I've talked to many people about towing, and unless you have a fifth wheel, the trailer will sway. It is just the mass of passing car and the wind it creates vs.a huge bread box. My fear, for you, would be an emergency stop. The bigger the tow vehicle, the better the stopping power. I've learned that the hard way, as I skidded through an intersection on hwy 27 during an awful rain storm going to Sebring for a race. Thank goodness there was no one going through the intersection.

By the way, get a weight distribution hitch to help minimize the swaying.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:47 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm in the process of shopping for a travel trailer, and I've been reading many forums for months concerning towing. Excessive trailer sway is usually an indication of an improperly set up of WDH or improper weight distribution with too much or too little weight on the tongue. Would you mind sharing the make and model of the trailer as well as the sway bar you're using?

Last edited by GrandPaJohn; 07-10-2018 at 02:36 AM. Reason: correction
Old 07-10-2018, 05:57 PM
terrellswansonmd
2nd Gear

We bought a Grand Design Imagine 2800bh, 32 ft just over 6,000 dry weight. I don't know the make of the sway bar though (the TT is parked at a storage facility).

After all the research and humbug I just signed for a 2019 Ram 1500. After 4.5 years we will say goodbye to our beloved Cayenne GTS. She's been through so much with us Even though I'm almost 100% confident it would've been fine and safe, if something did happen to my family in the Cayenne I would feel so guilty, even if it would've happened regardless if our tow vehicle was the Cayenne or a Ram.

Well I can't cry too much...a brand new GT3 will arrive in November It would've been really cool to tow that with the Cayenne to the track (just b/c I can) and then track both! lol
Old 07-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Sweendk
4th Gear

So, for next Cayenne owner considering towing..

We tow a 25' Airstream with a 2016 Cayenne S. It does just fine. I think we have similar engines (400+ lb-ft). Turbochargers make all the difference!

I finally learned to drive with my right foot, and the transmission shifts as required (in Sport). We Recently returned from a 4,500 swing through Arizona, Utah and Colorado. It will far exceed posted speed limits even over mountain passes. The big brakes are wonderful. Sway is almost non-existent with the Blue Ox hitch and the car's stability controls (OK, I learned to tow with an old VW bus..)

At least with the Ram you won't have to constantly tell people 'Yes, I really tow with this thing..ha!"

I know you'll enjoy the GT3!

Kirk
PS: ditto for the AirForum Cayenne thread.. a lot of good info!
Old 07-10-2018, 09:49 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweendk
So, for next Cayenne owner considering towing..

We tow a 25' Airstream with a 2016 Cayenne S. It does just fine. I think we have similar engines (400+ lb-ft). Turbochargers make all the difference!

I finally learned to drive with my right foot, and the transmission shifts as required (in Sport). We Recently returned from a 4,500 swing through Arizona, Utah and Colorado. It will far exceed posted speed limits even over mountain passes. The big brakes are wonderful. Sway is almost non-existent with the Blue Ox hitch and the car's stability controls (OK, I learned to tow with an old VW bus..)

At least with the Ram you won't have to constantly tell people 'Yes, I really tow with this thing..ha!"

I know you'll enjoy the GT3!

Kirk
PS: ditto for the AirForum Cayenne thread.. a lot of good info!
How the hell did you tow with an old VW bus? That think could hardly get itself up a 5% grade in 4th gear. (I learned to drive stick on an old bus)
Old 07-12-2018, 11:56 AM
Sweendk
4th Gear

VW bus?
Not a stock engine: 1775cc, '041' heads, 2bbl Weber... I towed a beetle, filled to the brim, across Kansas with it. Coming out of overpasses (into the cross winds) was a real challenge...ha!

In the Cayenne, the only sway, serious enough to cause me to slow down, also occurred in Kansas (after a significant rain/hail event.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone towing an RV (travel trailer)?