Sponsored By:

Roof Rack Or Rails - Permanent Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 01:43 AM
Christobol
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rack Or Rails - Permanent Install

Has anyone taken this route? I am getting a bare roof '14 disel (picking it up in 3 weeks), and wish it had a roof frack. I found that both Yakima and Thule offer custom permanent installs as an option, but I couldn't get a good answer on the total weight they can each handle. Has anyone gone this route?

Or has anyone seen the interior of their factory installed roof after the headliner has been removed? I'd like to duplicate that, I'd make any kind of matching support structors inside my company's shop. I just wanted as much input as possible before proceeding.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:45 AM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Christobol
Has anyone taken this route? I am getting a bare roof '14 disel (picking it up in 3 weeks), and wish it had a roof frack. I found that both Yakima and Thule offer custom permanent installs as an option, but I couldn't get a good answer on the total weight they can each handle. Has anyone gone this route? Or has anyone seen the interior of their factory installed roof after the headliner has been removed? I'd like to duplicate that, I'd make any kind of matching support structors inside my company's shop. I just wanted as much input as possible before proceeding.
​​​​​​.

Plenty of threads on this to peruse. Here's one that was active last month, but there are others if you search:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...base-roof.html

Old 06-25-2018, 01:07 AM
Christobol
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trio
​​​​​​.

Plenty of threads on this to peruse. Here's one that was active last month, but there are others if you search:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...base-roof.html

Thanks for the off topic response. I worded my question carefully as I've read every thread I can find on here and other Porsche sites, and while custom builds have been mentioned, no one has actually done it. I found that Yakima and Thule have shops that will do custom mounts but I don't know that anyone has tried them. Others have mentioned seeing their factory roof rails from the inside, but never posted pictures, and I was hoping to duplicate what they did as all of the posts I've found discuss the severe weight limitations from the hook on racks.

Last edited by Christobol; 06-25-2018 at 02:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Or Rails - Permanent Install