Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

787 mile range! Amazing.
Love it!
Thanks for the update
Old 08-25-2018, 06:05 PM
Hawkpilot6060
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just got the oil change in 1,000 miles light, so will be doing it in a month or so. I ordered a Blackstone oil kit as I want to check the oil and see how it is.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:11 PM
Hawkpilot6060
Instructor

Added a turbo diesel sticker and it actually looks great at the top of the rear window. Not too loud and looks good from a ways back.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Hawkpilot6060
Instructor

Installed some LED fog lights in both our family cars. They were cheap, but work fine. $23.00 for 2 pair. Pics below.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Hawkpilot6060
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hawkpilot6060

Installed some LED fog lights in both our family cars. They were cheap, but work fine. $23.00 for 2 pair. Pics below.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

This is nice provided you NEVER want to use the fog lamps for fog. I guess the blue tinge looks pretty. A fog lamp should have a very sharp low top cutoff line. A fog lamp may be yellow or even orange in color.

Why? Blue light scatters more when it hits fog (water particles) - and the scatter will cause your irises to close down to try to compensate, resulting in less vision - not more. The sharp cutoff is for exactly the same reason. A beam like the one on the left side of the garage door (the CREE LED) is diffuse and much too high and tall to be an effective fog pattern. It will also cause glare from the reflections on the fog - again - causing your rods and cones in the eye to retract and give you less vision.

Engineers designed the fog lights. From the pattern of the original light on the left - pretty darn good engineers.

The only way I see it could be improved would be if it had yellow filtering in the lens. Dunno if you're old enough to remember when fog lights WERE yellow or orange colored - it was primarily styling that made them change. It's easy to demonstrate why they were yellow to yourself: At night, look at a blue neon sign, then look at a red neon sign. Notice the halo effect around the blue neon? That's light scatter. It doesn't even have to be foggy to see this. (Budweiser neon beer signs are great to see this.. they have blue and red neon in one sign.)

I don't want to pee on your parade (I know it's a new Cayenne/toy and I fully understand adding personalized touches to it) - but this enhancement - is actually detracting from the functionality of your vehicle. If like many people - you like to run fog lights as decoration even during the day - then it's probably fine for that purpose, but please turn them off if you ever happen to find yourself driving in actual fog. It will be much safer that way.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:15 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Science proves that roughly 5700k is the best light, not yellow. Quickie google search https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...low-Fog-Lights

casey
Old 09-07-2018, 09:42 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

...so thanks Nalley BMW in Decatur, GA.
I went to the Porsche dealership to register my cayenne for Car Connect and touch base with Braman Porsche for service. I guess my CPO goes until December 2022, and the drivetrain until dec 2024! So, that was good to hear. Saw a sweet Cayenne S by KPBI, and a really sweet GTS.
I'd keep checking on that CPO. According to the Porsche website, it's not valid if you bought it from a non-Porsche dealer. That doesn't count the diesel warranty, which is the extra 2 years and out to 100K miles, regardless of where you got it. CPOs are now unlimited and, apparently, tacked on to the courtesy warranty, but if yours was a previous CPO and traded to that dealer, I suspect PCNA will somehow find out about it and void it.

Originally Posted by Porsche CPO website
If this vehicle is traded to a non-authorized Porsche dealer or broker for resale purposes, the Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is void.
As for those other cars, I think your definition of sweet may be vastly different from mine (and, I suspect, many others here). Ghastly comes to mind for me. And WFT for that squatting GTS.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Science proves that roughly 5700k is the best light, not yellow. Quickie google search https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...low-Fog-Lights

casey
The first message there makes a claim that yellow isn't better (but also probably not worse) - but that's later debated in another response - and backed up by info from an acquaintance of mine - Daniel Stern, who is a noted lighting expert:

Originally Posted by audiwhateverzine
While scientifically speaking your theory is partially true, it is not the whole truth, blue is actually harder to focus on than yellow because of where our eyes focus it when focusing all light, because we have more receptors in the green/yellow spectrum as you noted, our eyes can make a sharper image with light in that range. Think about it in terms of dpi for a camera, you have twice the dpi in the yellow/green spectrum as you do in the blue. This is why blue light causes glare or an inability of our eyes to focus. See the following website for reference. Keep your fogs yellow if you want. Honestly one more reason I think the yellow fogs work is because aside from the fact that the fogs are lower on the car and focused down toward the road, the yellow light is different than the diffused blue ambient light already in the fog (at least during partial sunlight) and gives you some definition between where your fogs are pointing helping you focus better and judge distances.
And he nicely gave a link to Daniel Stern's lighting website - where he has a LOT to say on the subject - with details explaining his opinions: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ght_color.html (which in general are that yellow light is superior,) and he references several studies done on the subject as to why. It's not just the eyes sensitivity to the light color - it's how the eye reacts to the color - it changes depending on what color it's exposed to. Good reading in Stern's article.

One other factor no one mentioned - using fogs at night when it isn't foggy has a secondary effect on your vision. You look where there is light. Having a bright light source that falls close to the vehicle at night will draw at least some of your attention away from viewing far ahead of the vehicle. The bright light source also causes your iris to close down, and the rods and cones to adjust for daylight light levels. The near distraction lessens the amount of time you have to respond to something. While the close-up (fog) lights may illuminate a deer on the side of the road - by the time they do - it's too late to avoid the deer. Seeing the reflection of a deers eyes some distance away gives one time to react and perhaps avoid a deer/vehicle encounter. Unfortunately, your eye doesn't immediately change sensitivity - it takes seconds to do so (think of driving into a dark tunnel) so even if you do manage to look forward further - it will take some seconds before you have optimal vision at a distance.

And we seem to be drifting off topic here - but it's a topic I have an interest in (retired physicist/engineer type). I'll try to contain myself.
The following users liked this post:
RhinoComp (03-23-2024)
Old 09-08-2018, 12:19 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

You obviously know more than I! I’ll take your word!

Casey
Old 09-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Hawkpilot6060
Instructor

Topped of with diesel and filled up my fuel tanks with generator gas as Florence is inbound. Averaged 29 mpg @ $3.15 a gallon for diesel right now.

Was around 620 miles or so.

Florence, heading west at 6 mph.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Hawkpilot6060
Instructor

45K mile oil change complete, sample in the mail to Blackstone. 8.1 qts of 5W-30 synthetic at $13.00 a qt. $153.77 total at a local Firestone that is a great shop. Actual mileage is 45,122 as of today.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Hawkpilot6060
Instructor

Default 45K oil change

45K mile oil change complete, sample in the mail to Blackstone. 8.1 qts of 5W-30 synthetic at $13.00 a qt. $153.77 total at a local Firestone that is a great shop. Actual mileage is 45,122 as of today.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:07 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Does the oil the Firestone place use low ash oil? It should be Mobil 1 ESP to have the low ash to prevent your diesel particulate filter from getting clogged. Check it out please.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:14 PM
Hawkpilot6060
Instructor

Default 45K blackstone oil report

Blackstone oil report results are not the best, hoping it is due to not being changed at 40,000 miles. Next report in 5K miles will be telling.

Last edited by Hawkpilot6060; 09-27-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Picture

Quick Reply: Picked up my new/used 958.2