Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Same fluid for both front and rear differential?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 01:56 PM
John212
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Same fluid for both front and rear differential?

Hi, I have 2012 CTT with PVT+, I found a thread here referencing this fluid, below. Can I use this for both the rear and the front differentials, or only the rear? If I need something else for the front, what should I buy? A link would be helpful. Thank you!

Here's the fluid I bought:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...command=lookup

Thank you!
Old 05-01-2018, 12:23 AM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm curious about this too. I got a pail of stock 997 transmission fluid, Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75W-90. I already used some of it on the 997 and the Audi (it's also manual). It's a GL4/GL5 fluid. Can I use it on the transmission, front and rear diffs? It's not suitable for limited slip diffs but I don't have one in any of the cars. I know the transfer case has its own separate fluid and I got that covered.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:31 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

You should use what the factory specifies, and it's not the same fluid for the front and rear differentials.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:03 AM
John212
Advanced

Yes that is the purpose of my post, I am not able to locate the factory spec for the front differential fluid, would be grateful if anyone knows the answer. On Pelican it shows many that apprear identical as being for both front and back. On Rennlist I have read all the threads I could find and only the part number for the PVT+ is called out.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:08 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You should download the PET:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...originalparts/

The part number from the above for the front axle differential is this:
000 043 205 30

It's any old 75w-90 gear/trans oil.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:22 PM
John212
Advanced

Thank you - this is really helpful. On the other hand this suggests that I can use the same fluid that I bought for the rear PTV+ differential? I couldn't see PTV+ referenced in this parts catalog so I wasn't able to double check that the rear fluid I bought was correct, I chose it based on this thread here where CarGuyNVA said "Just wanted to note here in this DIY that the updated part # for the genuine Porsche diff fluid for PTV+ equipped Cayennes is 000-043-300-37.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-and-rear.html
Old 05-01-2018, 09:34 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by John212
Thank you - this is really helpful. On the other hand this suggests that I can use the same fluid that I bought for the rear PTV+ differential? I couldn't see PTV+ referenced in this parts catalog so I wasn't able to double check that the rear fluid I bought was correct, I chose it based on this thread here where CarGuyNVA said "Just wanted to note here in this DIY that the updated part # for the genuine Porsche diff fluid for PTV+ equipped Cayennes is 000-043-300-37.

Yep, that’s the latest part # for the correct factory fluid specific to the PTV+ rear diff, which is synthetic and contains the special friction modifier. I believe that fluid is specific to the PTV+ rear diff only, and the standard rear diff as well as the front diff uses a different fluid. I’ll try to verify that with my P dealer service folks this Friday when my CTT is in there for it’s 2-year brake fluid flush/refill. For your PTV+ rear diff, insist on that part # (I’ve heard of some dealers using something else). The fluid change on mine a couple months ago did wonders for the PTV+ unit....nice and smooth always.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:58 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure where you are seeing something "suggesting" the rear locking differential uses the same fluid as the front. PTV+ is known in the parts catalog as option I1Y1 "rear locking differential". So on Illustration 305-50 (pg 540) of the parts catalog you will find the proper oil listed as 000 043 300 37. Hope that helps!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:48 AM
John212
Advanced

I think I was thrown off when you said that you could use "any old 75w-90 gear/trans oil" - maybe I took that literally. However, I did try to research the products that come up under the two different part numbers, and naively, I really can't see any discernible difference (listed below for reference) - I even went to the manufacturer's website. I bought enough of the PTV+ oil for both the front and rear... I guess I should only do the rear this time and buy the different oil to do the front in the future, but part of me wonders if it would really make a difference if I put the same fluid in the front as well.. it seems if one of the differentials is picky it would be the rear.

On another note, I followed a recommendation to do this on another thread where somebody just bought a used 958CTT with 30k miles and got advice on what work he should complete. I am in the same boat and thus planned this project. But I now notice that the service schedule doesn't call for this work until 16 years of 160k miles.... so now that we've gotten to the bottom of what oil to use, I am wondering whether this is even needed
Old 05-02-2018, 02:50 AM
John212
Advanced

Sorry I forgot to post the two oils that show up for these part numbers at Pelican:

Front: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...9&KeepHeader=Y

Rear with PTV+: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...3-300-37-M1410

Both are nearly identical looking 75W-90 fluids
Old 05-02-2018, 02:52 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think I was thrown off when you said that you could use "any old 75w-90 gear/trans oil" - maybe I took that literally. However, I did try to research the products that come up under the two different part numbers, and naively, I really can't see any discernible difference (listed below for reference) - I even went to the manufacturer's website. I bought enough of the PTV+ oil for both the front and rear... I guess I should only do the rear this time and buy the different oil to do the front in the future, but part of me wonders if it would really make a difference if I put the same fluid in the front as well.. it seems if one of the differentials is picky it would be the rear.

On another note, I followed a recommendation to do this on another thread where somebody just bought a used 958CTT with 30k miles and got advice on what work he should complete. I am in the same boat and thus planned this project. But I now notice that the service schedule doesn't call for this work until 16 years of 160k miles.... so now that we've gotten to the bottom of what oil to use, I am wondering whether this is even needed
At 30K, your front differential will likely not need new oil. But at 30K, I would definitely do the rear differential. While it depends how you drive, at 20K miles the rear differential fluid will likely be black and full of particles. Well worth the 1.4 liters needed to change it out on an earlier interval than 160K miles to prevent its failure which does happen.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:26 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So just to confirm are these the correct fluid part#'s for the PTV+ Cayenne?

REAR: 000 043 300 37
FRONT: 000 043 205 30
Old 05-02-2018, 06:31 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

But I now notice that the service schedule doesn't call for this work until 16 years of 160k miles.... so now that we've gotten to the bottom of what oil to use, I am wondering whether this is even needed
Senior tech at one of the P dealers I use says for the PTV+ rear diff (and the transfer case) fluids, ignore the manufacturer recommended service interval and change the fluids every 20k. I’m a believer....my CTT had only 68k miles when I had the PTV+ fluid replaced a couple months ago. Completely alleviated a slight chatter it had at low speed left turns. Smooth as can be after the fluid swap.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:02 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Great info, thx all!
Old 11-19-2018, 07:49 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

All
About to change TC fluid and front and rear differential fluid on my 2013 Cayenne Turbo with PTV plus. Going to use Porsche fluid for front and rear. My question is, what are the filling capacities for the front and rear diffs? I read that the front is under one liter. I read differing capacities for the rear. Some places say .8 liter for the rear while other places say 1.4 liters for the rear. I read that with the PTV you have to fill then rotate wheels to get the full 1.4 liters in? Advice please.

Quick Reply: Same fluid for both front and rear differential?