Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Feeling defeated today- new Cayenne got smashed in today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:41 AM
mchopra
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeling defeated today- new Cayenne got smashed in today!

I was diving home from work yesterday and someone rear ended my car. This is not a new car, it is a 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS that was just delivered to me last week. I don't even have it registered as yet, or have plates on the car. There was traffic on the highway and I was stationary and the distracted driver in his Mercedes ran right into the car. The trunk is caved in, the rear bumper cover is destroyed and the rear exhaust is damaged. The car is under warranty but now I can't extend the manufacturer warranty, if I wanted to, and worse, when I try and sell it, it will be listed as being damaged. I looked for this car for 6 months and feel really deflated now. Now I need time away from the office to get it repaired, and have to probably drive a Chevy as a rental car. Any advice would be appreciated.

Manny

2013 Cayenne GTS
2006 911 C4S
Old 04-28-2018, 08:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Sorry to hear. I hope injuries.

Include your location in your avatar, so members can recommend good repair facilities. Depending on your state laws, and negotiating style, you can also pursue a Diminished Value Claim.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:11 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts

I am so sorry to hear that. As LexVan recommended, find a great repair place, so that your car will be repaired as if nothing ever happened. Make sure and ask for diminished value from the other driver's car's insurance company. I went through this when a kid backed into my wife's Panamera. It is a pain in the rear, but you need to be made whole. If the insurance company says, "it's our job to restore your car to what it was prior to the accident," let them know that includes the value. I did not do this, because I finally settled with the insurance company, but a plaintiff lawyer told me if the insurance company would not pay diminished value, file suit against the driver of the other car. He told me that you can even have a lawyer write them a letter informing them that you intend to sue unless they pay the diminished value. Suing an insurance company is tough, because they have deep pockets. When you file suit against the other car owner, they contact their insurance company and raise hell about not taking care of them when they have been paying premiums. I am so sorry this happened to you. It's a bummer for sure, and it would bother me a lot.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:38 AM
mchopra
AutoX

Thanks for the advice. I service my Porsche’s at the dealership, and will get it repaired at the dealership body shop in Cincinnati Ohio.

I am am going to consult my attorney to send the letter to the insurance company requesting the diminished value of the car, is this an arbitrary number, the car loses value but how is this calculated.

Thanjs

manny
Old 04-28-2018, 02:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Can we assume the police were involved? If not - chances are it will never appear on Carfax or AutoCheck. They both get their info from "Public Records" - ie - police reports. They do not receive info from the insurance companies, or repair shops. We traded in an '03 BMW 525i that had been in a similar accident (doofus lady driving a truck ran into the back, that was the 2nd time she did that in one day..) and lots of minor fender benders that required bodywork. The CarFax came back spotless. Go figure. That was even after the police had been involved on the rear-ender.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:30 PM
mchopra
AutoX

Yes the police cited the guy but it does not make me whole again. The value of the car has dropped when I try to sell it. Also I can’t extend my warranty now. It’s not fair!
Old 04-28-2018, 03:35 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by mchopra
Yes the police cited the guy but it does not make me whole again. The value of the car has dropped when I try to sell it. Also I can’t extend my warranty now. It’s not fair!
It probably isn't "fair" - but there are avenues to make you "whole" - that were outlined above. And who told you that you can't extend your warranty? And what sort of warranty extension would you be seeking? If the work is done right - the vehicle should pass any needed warranty inspection, and if it wasn't done via a Porsche body shop - if it's a Porsche warranty - chances are they'd never know. Start reading up on "diminished value" - insurance companies really hate this sort of thing, but they have been known to cough up significant $$ if they are really pursued by the person claiming it.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:58 PM
mchopra
AutoX

Thanks and good point. It’s the annoyance of the process, new car with tags on it, searched for the car for 3-4 month, found it with a factory warranty, and now off to the body shop. Hopefully Porsche will honor the work that they do if we extend the warranty. Now a rental car for 2-3 weeks, my attorney said he will call the insurance company on Monday regarding the diminished value of the car.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:08 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry to hear. I just crashed my 2011 CS. I was just sick about it. The feeling does wear off!!!
Old 04-29-2018, 05:10 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Sorry to hear

Mchopra

sorry to hear. Hope you were not injured. I’m dealing with very similar situation. My 16 CTTS hit at dealership while work for transfer case was being completed. Search (Bad Day) on rennlist. I had owned car less than a week and had temporary tags on as well. I would hold their insurance company to nothing less than perfect repair. I’ve taken mine to Porsche certified repair facility. Drove an armada for nearly six weeks. I’ve had insurance pay for recoating and film on vehicle. Awaiting DV number. I got a second opinion regarding DV as first was a total joke. DV Laws differ by state. Shoot me a PM if I you want any more suggestions from me. I feel your pain.

Radctt1
Old 04-30-2018, 12:11 AM
mchopra
AutoX

Wow that’s a lot of damage. I thought that the car rental would be an equivalent car to what was damaged? Is that what I should ask for?

6 weeks is a long time in the shop, did they have problems getting parts?

Did the other persons insurance cover all car repairs, car rental for 6 weeks and the Diminished value claim? Was the driver personally responsible for anything beyond the deductible?

manny
Old 04-30-2018, 04:13 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I would be devastated.

If I was to rebuild the rear end, I would facelift the rear end of the car. Looks much better and now you can do it basicly at close to nothing (just tell the shop to order the FL parts instead of the original ones):

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...t-project.html

Email me if you need any help with parts.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:19 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Can we assume the police were involved? If not - chances are it will never appear on Carfax or AutoCheck. They both get their info from "Public Records" - ie - police reports. They do not receive info from the insurance companies, or repair shops. We traded in an '03 BMW 525i that had been in a similar accident (doofus lady driving a truck ran into the back, that was the 2nd time she did that in one day..) and lots of minor fender benders that required bodywork. The CarFax came back spotless. Go figure. That was even after the police had been involved on the rear-ender.
I don't think this is correct. I've had a case where police were NOT called and it still appeared on my Carfax. I believe as soon as an insurance company makes a payment it's recorded and shared among companies. Had a case where a deer ran into the drivers door and cause a dent. Was going to get it repaired at a body shop, insurance company sent a check, but I then decided to just use a dent wizard guy so I wouldn't have to worry about paint match. i was cheaper than my deductible. So I sent the check back and cancelled the claim. Years later when I traded in the car the "accident" should up on Carfax. I was pissed.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:14 AM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am very sorry to hear about your Cayenne.
My wife worked for an third party administrator for a few years, and she dealt with insurance companies every day. She would always tell me "The squeaky wheel gets the oil." Stay on top of the insurance company and don't settle for the first quote they give you. Get your data together when you talk to them, so you are armed with information when you counter their estimate. As everyone knows, insurance companies are out to make money, and they will short change you at every possible chance they get. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2018, 12:37 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

talk to your insurance about diminished value compensation. When my 911 was damaged insurance didn't have an issue when I presented the case and they file it against the other insurance - remember, insurance works for you! you just might need to put up a bit of a fight.

phil.

Quick Reply: Feeling defeated today- new Cayenne got smashed in today!