Sponsored By:

Are All Non OEM Wheels No Good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:55 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Are All Non OEM Wheels No Good?

I have looked for 20 inch wheels for my 2015 Cayenne. The 18's just don't quite look like I like. I have seen some nice 20's that are not OEM. They do specify Cayenne or Q7. They all have a return policy, so if they are out of round, don't fit properly, I can send them back. Anybody out there have experience with non oem wheels that have been good? OEM's are just ridiculously expensive.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:36 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

There are some aftermarket wheels that are extremely high quality, but they also come with a decent price tag too. Many of these particular wheel manufacturers are also OEM suppliers.

Budget priced aftermarket wheels are mostly just that....budget quality wheels (as with anything, there are exceptions).

I prefer to stick to OEM offerings myself. Porsche has set specific specs for their wheels in every detail, so you just have no worries of course...and their offerings look great to me. They also help maintain the overall value of the vehicle. Often times with vehicles like Porsche, when you go to trade them in with aftermarket wheels, dealers will ask if you still have the OEM wheels.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:33 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Yes they will. Nothing like buying a Porsche with the OEM wheels as wheels are like shoes. A different pair for every person.

I would have kept my OEM wheels but they had curb rash repairs and the job wasn't done to my standards. Purchase the car that way. I love my 103's and am hoping that when I go to see or trade it doesn't negatively affect my sales price.

I think if you want an aftermarket wheel set, get a well know brand that's lightweight.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:46 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I have looked for 20 inch wheels for my 2015 Cayenne. The 18's just don't quite look like I like. I have seen some nice 20's that are not OEM. They do specify Cayenne or Q7. They all have a return policy, so if they are out of round, don't fit properly, I can send them back. Anybody out there have experience with non oem wheels that have been good? OEM's are just ridiculously expensive.
2014 CTTS. OEM 21" wheels with PZero (now with Michelin Latitude 3s).

My winter wheel/tire combo is 19" OZ wheels and Bridgestone Blizzaks. Have run it for 2 winters with 20-25K miles on it w/o any problems.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Many aftermarket wheels are better than OEM - both lighter and stronger if made from good quality US for gongs. Companies like HRE, Forgeline, etc but if you don't like the cost of OEM wheels, you're certainly not going yo like the sticker on them either.

If you want yo step up to OEM 21" size, I'll be selling my 957 Turbo S wheels shortly with the Pirelli tires on them, center caps and TPMS sensors. 2 tires are worn but the other 2 are great. $2,500

I had to step up to 22"x"12"s for my widebody project.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:58 PM
FunVr6
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat as you are, looking to upgrade to 20 inch for summer. Been researching several manufacturers. I'm in love with the RS Spyder but they are out of my price range. The limited info I can suggest at this point from early research is to make sure the wheels you're looking at have the required load bearing for SUVs. SUVs are heavy, especially ours and the they should be quality wheels that can support the load of the SUV. Hit me up if you find anything interesting and I'll do the same if I do. As of now I've been looking at OZ wheels and some others that members recommended in my post I created asking for similar advice..check it out.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:58 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
There are some aftermarket wheels that are extremely high quality, but they also come with a decent price tag too. Many of these particular wheel manufacturers are also OEM suppliers.

Budget priced aftermarket wheels are mostly just that....budget quality wheels (as with anything, there are exceptions).

I prefer to stick to OEM offerings myself. Porsche has set specific specs for their wheels in every detail, so you just have no worries of course...and their offerings look great to me. They also help maintain the overall value of the vehicle. Often times with vehicles like Porsche, when you go to trade them in with aftermarket wheels, dealers will ask if you still have the OEM wheels.
I 100% agree. There are some high quality aftermarket wheels out there but many are overpriced junk. Porsche OEM wheels are VERY high quality. A large percentage of the non factory wheels I've came across are either much heavier than stock, much weaker than stock or will cause more vibration than stock. I would do everything in my power to keep the OEM wheels.

Quick Reply: Are All Non OEM Wheels No Good?