Sponsored By:

Whistling noise 2013 958

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Michael Matteson
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistling noise 2013 958

My Cayenne has developed a whistling noise in the cabin which is related to fan or vehicle speed. The noise occurs at high fan speeds or vehicle speed above 35 mph when it is windy or at higher speeds even with no wind (even with the fans turned OFF). I replaced the cabin air filter with a WIX filter and it did not eliminate the noise. I am thinking it has something to do with the heat A/C ducting. Does anyone know if removing the driver side ducting is DIY? Or should I be looking elsewhere beside the ducting for a solution?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Hi Michael, welcome to the Cayenne forum. I'm moving your posting to the 958 subforum since as you know - that's what you own.

As far as your problem - I think we need a bit more info on where the noise appears to be coming from... One test you could try for the AC ducting is simply turning off the fan, and then turning off each outlet with the rotary dial on the outlet. If one makes a difference - that might help us narrow down where the issue starts from. Also it isn't clear if you can make the noise happen when the vehicle is stationary by simply turning up the fan to max...

One other oddball thing you might try - assuming you have folding mirrors - when you hear the whistle - fold the mirrors in and see if the noise changes.. There have been some reports of whistling mirrors.

Meanwhile, hang on while I move the thread..
Old 03-14-2018, 04:23 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Common sources of whistles you hear inside the car:

Bearings in fan motor for heat/air conditioning
Weatherstripping around a window or door, may have been damaged by someone trying to break into the car
Sunroof seal releases at some point with wind coming from right direction and at the right speed, if the place where the seal isn't tight is small enough, you can get a whistle that is darn near impossible to localize, sounds like it's coming from everywhere.

To help localize the sound, having a passenger who can check where the sound is coming from while you are driving to replicate the whistle... very helpful... if it doesn't seem to be coming from the front, the passenger can get in the back seat or even in the cargo area to see if the sound can be localized better.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:25 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

It also helps if the passenger can press on the windows/doors while there's noise to see if it changes.

As for DIY, you can remove anything if you're so inclined. The vents on the front are held in place with four clips. They're accessible from in-between the vent slats. They're small rectangular tabs. Use a small screwdriver to pull the tabs inward toward the center of the vent. That'll pull their spring part inward, away from the dash opening. You can do one side and then the other of a vent. Pull inward, pull the vent toward you and have the tabs rest on the dash opening. Repeat on the other side of the same vent. It'll then come forward and you'll see the four spring clips; two on each side. Re-install is just push the vent back into the opening until the tabs catch.

It's possible that something has fallen into a vent and is causing noise. One option for diagnosing this is by using an inexpensive
USB endoscope USB endoscope
gizmo. Poke it down in there to see if there's any obstructions.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
As for DIY, you can remove anything if you're so inclined. The vents on the front are held in place with four clips. They're accessible from in-between the vent slats. They're small rectangular tabs. Use a small screwdriver to pull the tabs inward toward the center of the vent. That'll pull their spring part inward, away from the dash opening. You can do one side and then the other of a vent. Pull inward, pull the vent toward you and have the tabs rest on the dash opening. Repeat on the other side of the same vent. It'll then come forward and you'll see the four spring clips; two on each side. Re-install is just push the vent back into the opening until the tabs catch.
The video for the phone mount shows you what wkearney described above, if that helps.. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/958PMK.html
Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 PM
Michael Matteson
8th Gear

Today I tried to replicate the whistling while the car was parked. Unable to replicate it by opening closing vents or varying fan speed. Whistling is coming from from dash area and is probably vent-related. I will try to look in the dash vents and see if I can find anything obstructing airflow.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:25 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

When you hear the noise try changing the mode on the a/c to recirc mode.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:31 AM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine has started doing something similar too. It hasn't been bad enough to chase yet. But there is a tiny whistle sometimes...I have been meaning to turn the "air panel" off in the PCM when I hear the noise, but never seem to have the whistle and time at the same time.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:59 PM
Michael Matteson
8th Gear

Originally Posted by PTEC
When you hear the noise try changing the mode on the a/c to recirc mode.
Tried the recirc mode today when I heard the whistling noise, recirc mode made no difference, still hear whistling. It is very low volume, with the radio playing at a normal volume the noise cannot be heard. Still need to make time to investigate the possibility of something in the vent(s).
Old 04-01-2018, 12:17 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Run the system with the cabin filter removed and see if it's still there.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:09 PM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Matteson
Tried the recirc mode today when I heard the whistling noise, recirc mode made no difference, still hear whistling. It is very low volume, with the radio playing at a normal volume the noise cannot be heard. Still need to make time to investigate the possibility of something in the vent(s).
Mine does exactly the same thing. It did it before the dealer replaced the cabin air filter and it still does it. There is no chance anything fell into my vents. I really dont know why it started about a year or so ago.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:56 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a whistle that turned out to be the seal around the sunroof. I cleaned everything I could reach having to do with the sunroof opening and used rubber rejuvenator on rubber parts/seals and never had the problem again. My whistle required wind blowing at the car from a specific direction AND speeds above 35-40 mph. (raise back of sunroof to clean rear edges and back of sunroof track area, then open the sunroof normally to clean the front area.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:36 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a whistling too, and I've isolated it to the windshield defroster area/fans. Not sure if that area can be accessed from the top of the dash or whether the entire dash needs to come off.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:58 PM
800DGM
1st Gear

Default Whistling noise ventilation - Cayenne 958

Hello! I have a 958 diesel made in 2012. In the last few weeks I have noticed this annoying noise / whistle coming from the area where the dashboard intersects with the windshield. The sound appears at a speed starting with 120km / h, and at over 150km / h it becomes very pronounced and annoying. It's a sound similar to that when driving with the window slightly open, to which is added a whistle. After various tests with the adjustment of the vents, the direction of the air, etc., I discovered that I can attenuate this noise when I completely turn off the ventilation system or when I activate the recirculation of the air inside the car. When I do this, it sounds like I'm closing a window at high speed. Another interesting thing is that this noise almost disappears when I run in the rain at the speed mentioned above. I made a software diagnosis of the air conditioning system and did not identify any problems. However, I suspect the fan probably no longer controls the outside airflow. Until I get back in service, I hope to find out more about this issue. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2023, 12:38 PM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Bump on this thread

my whistling sound occurs at higher driving speeds and is caused by air coming through vent - whistling stops if I turn on re circulation mode. Whistling also occurs if HVAC fan is on a higher speed.

Is this normal?

Quick Reply: Whistling noise 2013 958