Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

"Compatible" washer fluid? (Bear with me!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:09 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

I love when our car gets serviced at the dealer because it gets topped up with Porsche windshield fluid. The soap in it works well and it smells nice too. The price of an oil change or other service at the dealer makes this the most expensive washer fluid in the world! If you’re frugal or just saving up to buy me a gift, Einszett Kristal Kar concentrated windshield wiper fluid is the same formula. It has water softeners so no need to use distilled water in areas with high mineral counts in the water. For winter use get the all-season formula which just uses some methyl alcohol in the concentrated. Or do what I do in winter with the Porsche stuff or Kristal Kar, mix it with the cheap gas station stuff (methyl alcohol). All washer fluids commonly sold on the market whether liquid concentrate or dissolvable crystals/powers are compatible with methyl alcohol.

It’s common for drug smugglers to fill the bottom 1/4th of a washer tank with water then float a cooked layer of thick oily cocaine hydrochloride (to make crack cocaine) on top. If the authorities search the car and even operate the windshield squinters only pure water will come out leaving the contraband safely floating on top. Do you have any relatives in the business? Maybe they left some junk in your washer reservoir, the washer soap would turn it into the thick gel you experienced.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:40 PM
Dkayak
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer uses the ordinary blue stuff on all makes —- VW, Audi, MB, and Porsche. I buy the Walmart blue stuff that’s rated to -25 F. No problems. The Porsche factory suds clean well but leave soap dried all over the place. No thanks.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:12 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Dkayak, if there is a noticeable dried soap residue left on the car, then the washer concentrate is being mixed to strong.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:50 AM
Dkayak
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shipped from the factory leaving soapy residue. I’m happy with the blue stuff. It’s done the job or me for 45 years at low cost and with no mixing. The dealer tops me off with it too.

Last edited by Dkayak; 02-09-2018 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-15-2018, 11:50 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just what I need, something else in the 955 to be paranoid about. I'm prepping for a 1200 mile winter trip and was just about to buy a gallon of the Rain-X stuff; now I'm frozen with fear.

Quick Reply: "Compatible" washer fluid? (Bear with me!)