Sponsored By:

Bose Stereo Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bose Stereo Issues

Looking to see if someone may have some insight on some stereo issues I'm having with my '11 S. Driving a pretty smooth road I drive on every day, I heard a crackling & pop noise from the left rear of the car and the stereo cut out all speakers. The subwoofer was still working. Shut the car off, pull the key a couple times and still the same when parked. Leave the car for ~ 45 mins, come back out and it's on again. Drive a little bit, and the crackle comes from the right rear before it cut out, but comes back on shortly after. After that it was in and out randomly with no other noises (that I heard) and intermittently dropping volume down when it was on.

Does this sound like an amplifier issue? Maybe a loose connection? I haven't seen any other issues with the Bose system posted for the 958 in my searching.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:06 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Does sound like an amp issue either with the amp overheating and cutting out or with it having a bad ground. The clue is that you say the subwoofer continues to work. That means the optical signals involved with the Bose system are still leaving the PCM. The main amp drives the regular speakers and the subwoofer has its own amp, at least that's how the Bose systems in the 997 work and I'm assuming the Cayenne I'd designed the same way.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Agree with Petza. Sounds like an issue with the amp, like if a solder joint on the board has gone bad.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:42 PM
captain911
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Radio Issues - I Think

Hello All,

Anyone experience the following in their P!G?
- Buzzing in the rear speakers
- No sound at all at times
- Sound only out of the front passenger side speaker
- Volume control not working on occasion in conjunction with above

Assuming it's the amp. The PCM appears to be working fine.

Nothing like another trip back to the dealer. Wearing out this CPO.

Thanks for any input.

Tim
Old 02-08-2018, 01:14 PM
GTS407
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have experienced total lack of sound for a short time, less than 5 min, and strange buzzing sound when on a AM station . I also found this irradiating buzz on my 2015 Macan which I traded.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:16 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

After working decently well for a couple days, today it cut out completely and never came back. No subwoofer this time. PCM also started giving issues, it first wouldn't change source to bluetooth audio, then it would briefly and go back to FM, multiple times. I then switched to CD and it wouldn't let me change from that. Using the "tuner" button did nothing, and bringing up the "source" menu would let me select what I wanted, but would not switch.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:20 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Sounds like you're having similar issues to what I'm experiencing. Sound cut out but subwoofer worked, later sound came back but would cut out intermittently. Today I lost all sound and the woofer.

At least you have CPO and can take it to a dealership. I'll be driving with no radio until Saturday or Sunday when I can pull the amplifier out and see if I can fix it.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by projekt-h
After working decently well for a couple days, today it cut out completely and never came back. No subwoofer this time. PCM also started giving issues, it first wouldn't change source to bluetooth audio, then it would briefly and go back to FM, multiple times. I then switched to CD and it wouldn't let me change from that. Using the "tuner" button did nothing, and bringing up the "source" menu would let me select what I wanted, but would not switch.
Checked under your carpeting for any dampness? Odd electrical problems in a Cayenne often end up involving corroded wiring under the carpeting. FWIW - the subwoofer is no longer in the optical loop exactly. It gets it's signal (analog probably) from the main amplifier, the main amp gets it's signal from the optical loop.

Some diagrams that may be of use:

Overall Bose amplifier diagram

Larger view of the amplifier connections.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Petza914
Does sound like an amp issue either with the amp overheating and cutting out or with it having a bad ground. The clue is that you say the subwoofer continues to work. That means the optical signals involved with the Bose system are still leaving the PCM. The main amp drives the regular speakers and the subwoofer has its own amp, at least that's how the Bose systems in the 997 work and I'm assuming the Cayenne I'd designed the same way.
Some part of the main amp is still working since the amp is the only place the optical signal goes. The subwoofer amp is driven by an analog signal out of the main amplifier.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Really starting to sound like a PCM problem. There are places that repair them - you don't even want to think about getting a new one - $$$$. And not sure if used can be interchanged between VIN#'s. Some devices like this are coded to the VIN# and the options on the car. Perhaps a dealer can change it with a PIWIS - but possibly not if it was done as an antitheft move (instead of the old "code" system the Germans used to love.) There were some plug and play Android systems on the Facebook Cayenne group. Only problem I saw was the one shown was fugly, and about $2k.

First thing though - pull up the front passenger's seat carpeting and check for moisture. All those wires between stuff run through there somewhere.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:53 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Checked under your carpeting for any dampness? Odd electrical problems in a Cayenne often end up involving corroded wiring under the carpeting. FWIW - the subwoofer is no longer in the optical loop exactly. It gets it's signal (analog probably) from the main amplifier, the main amp gets it's signal from the optical loop.

Some diagrams that may be of use:

Overall Bose amplifier diagram

Larger view of the amplifier connections.

(diagrams removed for space-saving in the post)

Good luck. Let us know how it works out!
The day I got it back from the dealer, I checked to see if the carpets were damp (cowl drain paranoia, since I never got to clean those as intended in the fall) when I put my weathertech liners in and didn't notice anything. I also haven't noticed any moisture/frost accumulation on the windows that would indicate dampness inside.

Thanks a huge amount for those diagrams, that will be an immense help. Tomorrow night or Saturday I will be pulling the amplifier out and seeing if perhaps something went wrong that I can repair, or have a local electronics shop repair.

I'll be sure to keep the thread updated, as it seems that some others are experiencing stereo troubles. Might be able to come up with a "fix" rather than needing to purchase a new amplifier.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

The day I got it back from the dealer, I checked to see if the carpets were damp (cowl drain paranoia, since I never got to clean those as intended in the fall) when I put my weathertech liners in and didn't notice anything. I also haven't noticed any moisture/frost accumulation on the windows that would indicate dampness inside.

Thanks a huge amount for those diagrams, that will be an immense help. Tomorrow night or Saturday I will be pulling the amplifier out and seeing if perhaps something went wrong that I can repair, or have a local electronics shop repair.

I'll be sure to keep the thread updated, as it seems that some others are experiencing stereo troubles. Might be able to come up with a "fix" rather than needing to purchase a new amplifier.
Despite not seeing any topside indications of water in the footwells - I'd still check, since there is about 1.5" of open-cell foam rubber under the carpeting. By the time the moisture comes to the surface and is visible - you've got 2" of water in the footwell and the cables have been long submerged. There is a small pull up piece in the carpeting on the passenger's side right near the door sill. This is to check for the VIN# stamped into the floorpan. It can also be used as a crude way to check for moisture. Pull it open, stick some fingers in and try to feel down and toward the center of the car. On the drivers side there is a similar carpeted hatch that covers the main ground connection from the battery (it goes to a stud welded to the chassis) - it's right in front of the seat pedestal. Same sort of check.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2018, 10:33 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Despite not seeing any topside indications of water in the footwells - I'd still check, since there is about 1.5" of open-cell foam rubber under the carpeting. By the time the moisture comes to the surface and is visible - you've got 2" of water in the footwell and the cables have been long submerged. There is a small pull up piece in the carpeting on the passenger's side right near the door sill. This is to check for the VIN# stamped into the floorpan. It can also be used as a crude way to check for moisture. Pull it open, stick some fingers in and try to feel down and toward the center of the car. On the drivers side there is a similar carpeted hatch that covers the main ground connection from the battery (it goes to a stud welded to the chassis) - it's right in front of the seat pedestal. Same sort of check.

Good luck!
Good to know, I'll make sure to check those tomorrow! Thank you!
Old 02-09-2018, 11:05 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

I had this exact issue and it was the amp - replaced under CPO and no problems since. I was worried that maybe it got wet or something but no evidence of that - tech said sometimes they just go bad. It was an easy fix for them.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:09 AM
captain911
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Hopefully I have the same issue leftlane had and don't have any issues in the future once replaced.

Quick Reply: Bose Stereo Issues