Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Apple Car Play for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 04:15 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Still putting together the How-To, but I wanted to show just a little of the functionality so I took a few videos. I apologize for the vertical orientation, but all I had to work with was an iPad. Also, the scrolling bars on the screen is an effect of the refresh of the camera, and you cannot normally see that. Also, I just put a 'glass' screen protector on the PCM, so it's a bit reflective in the video. I have yet to drive around in bright sunlight, so we'll see how that works out.

Music (Navigation and Accessing Factory Settings) - Watch your volume!

Receiving a Text and Reading it (you'll notice the notification won't accept a touch, but the app icon will. Not sure if that's a bug. Never used CarPlay before, so not sure how it should function)

Siri Navigation (I don't have the voice control button from the factory, but I can initiate Siri with "Hey Siri" like here, or I can touch and hold the home button on the screen or on my iPhone, or I can push the PHONE button on the PCM)

Just Some Random Stuff (Several minutes just going through the apps, switching between the factory system and CarPlay, and showing that the swipe-to-scroll kinda works, but luckily the right-hand **** scrolls through long lists)

I've got a cable on order from China to see if it will allow me to use the factory USB port in the center console, but it may be a few more weeks, so I'm going to do the write-up without it, and then update it if the new cable works-out. Hopefully I'll have something ready to post this week.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:34 AM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you get the Porsche logo on the carplay screen?

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
Still putting together the How-To, but I wanted to show just a little of the functionality so I took a few videos. I apologize for the vertical orientation, but all I had to work with was an iPad. Also, the scrolling bars on the screen is an effect of the refresh of the camera, and you cannot normally see that. Also, I just put a 'glass' screen protector on the PCM, so it's a bit reflective in the video. I have yet to drive around in bright sunlight, so we'll see how that works out.

Music (Navigation and Accessing Factory Settings) - Watch your volume!

Receiving a Text and Reading it (you'll notice the notification won't accept a touch, but the app icon will. Not sure if that's a bug. Never used CarPlay before, so not sure how it should function)

Siri Navigation (I don't have the voice control button from the factory, but I can initiate Siri with "Hey Siri" like here, or I can touch and hold the home button on the screen or on my iPhone, or I can push the PHONE button on the PCM)

Just Some Random Stuff (Several minutes just going through the apps, switching between the factory system and CarPlay, and showing that the swipe-to-scroll kinda works, but luckily the right-hand **** scrolls through long lists)

I've got a cable on order from China to see if it will allow me to use the factory USB port in the center console, but it may be a few more weeks, so I'm going to do the write-up without it, and then update it if the new cable works-out. Hopefully I'll have something ready to post this week.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:38 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

That's how it came from the vendor. That icon takes you to the little menu for the system that 'runs' the CarPlay box. That's how you access items on a thumb drive or SD card, and also how you change some of the settings.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:41 PM
AllroadRSC5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone find a kit that allows for piggyback with the XM/Sirius PCB?
Old 06-30-2018, 12:00 AM
DanishAmerican
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AllroadRSC5
Anyone find a kit that allows for piggyback with the XM/Sirius PCB?
https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto
Old 06-30-2018, 01:09 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DanishAmerican
Anyone installed this kit on the PCM 3.1 with software version 4.76 ?
Also please , Anyone did not use the XM option " not installing the board " while the PCM originally was provisioned to use it. ?
Old 06-30-2018, 02:50 PM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, our test car for CarPlay is V4.76.

Thanks
Nick

Originally Posted by marinerbc
Anyone installed this kit on the PCM 3.1 with software version 4.76 ?
Also please , Anyone did not use the XM option " not installing the board " while the PCM originally was provisioned to use it. ?
Old 06-30-2018, 05:50 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizard263789
Yes, our test car for CarPlay is V4.76.

Thanks
Nick
Thank you kindly for the quick reply, i think it is the latest SW version for the 958.2 pre 2017/18 MY , mine is Jan/2016 built
can not wait to install this kit but between work , my remote location and the world cup games i am way behind
and honestly my main reason as of why this particular kit? because of your support, professionalism and hard work .....truly one of a kind
Old 06-30-2018, 06:59 PM
DanishAmerican
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me just chip in to let everyone know that my installer in Philly https://www.perzanautoradio.com was thoroughly impressed with the kit and documentation we received from Nick. He’s very professional and super responsive.

And here a month later, I still love CarPlay in

my 2014 911. The screen looks beautiful and crisp, and it’s also impressive how the standard buttons work with CarPlay, without taking you back to the standard PCM functions. It really feels like it’s built in. I actually like it better than the standard system in my wife’s Macan!

Some cool examples:
- The middle “PHONE" button bring up Siri
- The phone pickup button takes you to the Phone app
- The phone icons for pick up and hang up works with CarPlay calls
- The map button and navi buttons take you to the Maps app
- The < and > buttons can repeat and skip music tracks
- The ⤺ button works within CarPlay, for example navigating through the music app
- The map switches to night mode when appropriate

Enjoy everyone
Old 07-01-2018, 09:22 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts

I watched the video
, and it is quite impressive. I would like to have car play, but I am not sure how badly. It would also be nice if they had a US distributor.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:13 AM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I watched the video https://youtu.be/RF_kbvtX2XQ, and it is quite impressive. I would like to have car play, but I am not sure how badly. It would also be nice if they had a US distributor.

I do agree with DanishAmerican post, can not wait to have his experience with Nick's kit
For the install Not sure if that would help, up here on the pacific NW was planning on working with Bill http://ballardcustomaudio.com/ in \ Seattle, however i came across what is to me the best in the business near by in Vancouver BC
Old 08-18-2018, 10:45 PM
AllroadRSC5
Rennlist Member

The aliexpress link now goes to a CarPlay box, vendor states the PCM doesn’t need to be opened and satellite radio will still work. Anyone tried this “updated” kit? https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328205...4722b4aa4f4a5d
Old 08-19-2018, 04:03 AM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

For info.

The ONLY way CarPlay can be added is by opening the PCM, the PCM simply doesn't have the relevant external inputs to avoid opening it. In fact the only way of adding any type of high resolution kit or kit that needs to access the PCM keys is by opening the PCM.

What can be done without opening the PCM is an 'Apple TV' type mirroring (as the PCM has a composite input) but due to the input being composite the screen quality is quite poor and bear in mind that no button key input or touchscreen input is possible.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by AllroadRSC5

The aliexpress link now goes to a CarPlay box, vendor states the PCM doesn’t need to be opened and satellite radio will still work. Anyone tried this “updated” kit? https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328205...4722b4aa4f4a5d

Last edited by wizard263789; 08-19-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:55 AM
AllroadRSC5
Rennlist Member

Well that negates the sellers claims, “box doesn’t need to be opened but touchscreen, dash and steering controls continue to work”
Old 10-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a couple of threads on this, and wanted to give people a heads up that Nick from NM Automotive (the UK one) is offering a group buy currently. Here's a link to the thread on the 991 forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post15340129

I've gone ahead and purchased it for my 2011 Cayenne Turbo that had the PCM3.1. If anyone else is interested - jump in!

His username on here is wizard263789

"2 units 5% off each unit
3 units 10% off each unit
5 or more units 15% off each unit
Plus the shipping, obviously if we shipped to a single address there is the ability to save significantly on the shipping."

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play for PCM 3.1