Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

After removing the DPF/SCR... if it matters, you'll also end up with a bit of diesel smoke, and the diesel smell from the exhaust. It does sound pretty good though, for a low-revving V6.

(This one has a tune on it) -
Old 03-09-2018, 05:09 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 324 Posts

I do like the way that sounds. It just has a Rawtek exhaust?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

His username on clubtouareg is tdimark69 , and his signature states he's got a gutted/painted muffler as well as the Rawtek downpipe. Not sure if that video was just the downpipe, or with the downpipe and the gutted muffler.

This one says it's a downpipe and the stock muffler, and from his build thread, he said: "So i have about 200kms on the exhaust and tune now...and let me start by saying OMG. This is not the same machine its so much better. It no longer falls on its face around 80-100km+ now it pulls and keeps pulling. Sound with stock muffler is super tame inside and not bad outside either.
The throttle response is much much better, more power everywhere..."
Old 03-13-2018, 10:55 AM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Got lucky and helped a friend last night load a Malone Stage 2 tune into his CD and then drive it. The process to load the tune is easy, you read the stock tune with a tuner box you buy from Malone called a Flashzilla. You then email the stock tune to Malone and they build the tuned file for you, which you upload into the Flashzilla. Then you use the Flashzilla to upload the tuned file to the Cayenne's ECU. The Flashzilla can also read and erase check engine lights/codes.
Process for uploading the tune took longer than I expected and while it was happening all sorts of dash warning lights come on and go off, with bells and chimes. A little disconcerting! All was well tho in the end.
Onto the drive, the motor feels like a huge weight has been lifted off its shoulders. It revs much more easily, smoothness is the same, I didn't notice any more diesel clatter than before. You need much smaller throttle openings to acheive the same speed. When you get heavy into the throttle, the truck moves, now! Hard to quantify the gains without putting it on a dyno, but the butt dyno says the gains over stock are substantial.
Definitely a well done package, Porsche should've tuned them like this from the factory.

Food for thought, gonna be hard to not pull the trigger on it...
Can you elaborate on your comment of "you need much smaller throttle openings to achieve the same speed?" I put BS on wife's few days ago. Big difference, but it still feels laggy in first gear. I'm looking for replicate throttle response in the gears as close to Carrera as possible.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:22 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

If that's your goal, you're going to fail. No way will a turbo diesel have the same throttle response as the Carrera. What I meant is that it makes so much more power that you don't have to give it as much throttle to achieve the same acceleration.

Felt like there was some throttle lag in first gear at times still, putting it in sport mode basically erased that.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:07 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
If that's your goal, you're going to fail. No way will a turbo diesel have the same throttle response as the Carrera. What I meant is that it makes so much more power that you don't have to give it as much throttle to achieve the same acceleration.

Felt like there was some throttle lag in first gear at times still, putting it in sport mode basically erased that.
Thanks, but disagree. The cayenne gts has very strong and immediate throttle response. Even the v6 in upper rpm mimicks my 997 throttle behavior. Agree it won't ever be the same, but seeking the similar DNA.

Anyone in dallas have Malone?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:27 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheconvert
Thanks, but disagree. The cayenne gts has very strong and immediate throttle response. Even the v6 in upper rpm mimicks my 997 throttle behavior. Agree it won't ever be the same, but seeking the similar DNA.

Anyone in dallas have Malone?
Believe current V6 is a TT vs a single T in diesel. Not sure how an apples to apples comparison can be made with completely different engine designs. Any turbo motor in boost will have decent response. Lag happens when you are out of boost.

Last edited by chsu74; 03-13-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:30 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Previous Cayenne GTS was a NA V8, so not a fair comparison to a single turbo V6 diesel. Any turbo motor is going to have softer throttle response compared to a NA motor. Some it is due to the e-throttle and transmission programming but most of it is simply NA vs turbo.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:30 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Will the Malone Stage 2 tune on a 2015 Diesel with the fix pass California Emissions?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:26 PM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
Will the Malone Stage 2 tune on a 2015 Diesel with the fix pass California Emissions?
I'm not saying it's impossible, but if you go to a CARB cert shop that follows the law, they will certainly fail you. They should run a checksum on the ECU and compare it with the master file submitted by Porsche, which will show the calibrations are different.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:34 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Um? I find that highly unlikely. Have you confirmed that the smog shops in california have the porsche master file? Where'd they get it from? Do they even have the ability to read it from the car? As far as I know, tey can only read readiness monitors...
Old 02-12-2019, 12:15 PM
b-man
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a Bluespark tuning box on a 2016 Cayenne Diesel for a while. I drove it pretty hard and ended up needing a new EGR valve. I don't know if that was because of the tuning box, but I am guessing it was.

I removed the tuning box and have not used it since the EGR was replaced. It's a shame because I really liked the difference it made.

b-man
Old 02-12-2019, 02:03 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

If I go with the Malone at some point I am doing the full the ABC delete. Thankfully my state doesn't do emission testing on diesels only a safety inspection. I don't really mind the DPF as I'd like to not be rolling coal everywhere I go but, I'm really not a fan of the EGR system. My gut feeling is the engine will be much happier with out that crap pumping into the intake tract. Now the great debate of doing it sooner or waiting till the warranty has expired...
Old 02-12-2019, 02:27 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ I would do it sooner than later if emissions is not an issue. You can use better oil for the truck and vehicle will last longer while giving you more MPG.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:00 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

HotRod2448

What is the "full ABC delete?"
I'm interested.
Love to wake up the Diesel.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?