Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Air Suspension stuck in low level: "not possible" going up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 02:30 PM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to get it back on the PIWIS as we noticed the deviation aspect as well, but then the laptop died.

Anyone else's vehicle have this issue:

If I am hovering around outside the car but I do not enter, (car unlocked) it detects the entry & drive (key) and then auto dumps all of the air out to loading level. You can hear it hear it "pssshhhhh" for a few minutes and the compressor noise. It does this for awhile and is very audible. When I get into the car to start it, it's at loading level. Then moves up to low level 1 after driving. It usually gives me the not possible message for awhile as if there is not enough air or too difficult for the compressor to fill it up.

Anyone else's car dump all the air out just by being in proximity?
Old 11-27-2017, 04:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanomite
I need to get it back on the PIWIS as we noticed the deviation aspect as well, but then the laptop died.

Anyone else's vehicle have this issue:

If I am hovering around outside the car but I do not enter, (car unlocked) it detects the entry & drive (key) and then auto dumps all of the air out to loading level. You can hear it hear it "pssshhhhh" for a few minutes and the compressor noise. It does this for awhile and is very audible. When I get into the car to start it, it's at loading level. Then moves up to low level 1 after driving. It usually gives me the not possible message for awhile as if there is not enough air or too difficult for the compressor to fill it up.

Anyone else's car dump all the air out just by being in proximity?
Nope. The only scenario I can imagine this happening is if you put the car at load level and then stored the car settings to the key by locking it with the key. Maybe that might do it? I'll have to play with this a bit.. and see what I can find out.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Any update??
Old 12-21-2017, 01:28 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
My dealer stated the front right air spring was leaking internally causing it to constantly (although somewhat slowly) lose pressure and pump up again. I'm not quite buying it yet as I've watched it somehow choose to pump that corner up high, let it out fast, and then pump up again to the level selected. Many times it holds its air just fine, over night even. In my mind, this seems more like an electrical signal issue - perhaps the level sensor for that strut is going bad. I'm going to try that first before letting the dealer replace a likely-good $3200 strut assembly.

FYI, the Durametric doesn't give enough information outside of error codes related to the air suspension to be useful. I haven't found a place to read the level sensor values as I could on my 04.
FWIW I have seen quite a few passenger front (not sure why its the passenger front but it always is) air springs leaking. I have disassembled these and never been able to see the leak with my own eyes but the issue is always corrected with a new air bellows. Just because it will air up doesn't mean there isn't a small leak. The leaks are very small and they seem only to leak at certain positions or pressures. Its not like you have a giant glaring hole that you would see from a mile away. The only thing that can cause a drop in height is a loss of air.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darien Nunn
Any update??
Sorry, been out of town for a week. Went on vacation to Mexico to escape my German problems. I love this car and the air ride, but i've only had this car 3 months and already looking at a major repair.

Unfortunately, I have gotten a red Chassis System Failure at least 3 times now. The car only wants to stay in low-level mode. I am pretty sure my front passenger strut is leaking air. It sits lower than the other side and I can hear a pretty audible pshhhhh noise as if its deflating sometimes. I think my compressor is OK, but it is probably working hard to air up the front passenger strut. It is taking longer now. Hopefully that it won't need to be replaced as well.

I am going to try take it into the shop for a diagnosis next week. Seems driveable in low-level mode but I'm not pushing it.

I have access to a fully equipped tuning shop with lifts and some knowledgeable mechanic buddies. I'm no mechanic, I know just enough to get myself in trouble. Knowing how much the parts and repair might cost, is replacing or rebuilding the front strut and/or the compressor something we could do? Is it all mechanical or any electrical/software recalibration needed? Anyone have a link to repair manual of sorts?
Old 12-23-2017, 05:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 426 Posts

I have access to a fully equipped tuning shop with lifts and some knowledgeable mechanic buddies.
Your shop can do the proper nitrogen filling of the air suspension system?

I went through the same situation and from my experience it sounds like your pump has failed, or at least the internal venting valves which means a new pump is needed.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My dealer stated the front right air spring was leaking internally causing it to constantly (although somewhat slowly) lose pressure and pump up again. I'm not quite buying it yet as I've watched it somehow choose to pump that corner up high, let it out fast, and then pump up again to the level selected. Many times it holds its air just fine, over night even. In my mind, this seems more like an electrical signal issue - perhaps the level sensor for that strut is going bad. I'm going to try that first before letting the dealer replace a likely-good $3200 strut assembly.

FYI, the Durametric doesn't give enough information outside of error codes related to the air suspension to be useful. I haven't found a place to read the level sensor values as I could on my 04.
Can you please elaborate where $3200 number came from?

https://www.porschepartsnow.com/v-20...and-components
I see Air Spring listed at $655

and level sensors are $180
https://www.porschepartsnow.com/v-20...nsion-mounting

this place sells remanufactured units:
https://www.suncoreindustries.com/Po...014-parts.aspx

http://www.airbagit.com/Porsche-Air-...tems-s/110.htm

Last edited by Kirill; 12-27-2017 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TheUnscented (08-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

I’ve been searching for a fix. Can you elaborate on your past issues and what fixed the problem? Do you have the same air system?

Originally Posted by garrett376
Your shop can do the proper nitrogen filling of the air suspension system?

I went through the same situation and from my experience it sounds like your pump has failed, or at least the internal venting valves which means a new pump is needed.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:25 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirill
Can you please elaborate where $3200 number came from?<br /><br /><a href="https://www.porschepartsnow.com/v-2014-porsche-cayenne--gts--4-8l-v8-gas/front-suspension--shocks-and-components">https://www.porschepartsnow.com/v-2014-porsche-cayenne--gts--4-8l-v8-gas/front-suspension--shocks-and-components</a><br />I see Air Spring listed at $655<br /><br />and level sensors are $180<br /><a href="https://www.porschepartsnow.com/v-2014-porsche-cayenne--gts--4-8l-v8-gas/front-suspension--suspension-mounting">https://www.porschepartsnow.com/v-2014-porsche-cayenne--gts--4-8l-v8-gas/front-suspension--suspension-mounting</a><br /><br />this place sells remanufactured units:<br /><a href="https://www.suncoreindustries.com/Porsche-Cayenne-2014-parts.aspx">https://www.suncoreindustries.com/Porsche-Cayenne-2014-parts.aspx</a>
$3200 was the number my dealer gave me, presumably to replace the entire strut assembly instead of just the air spring.
I've received another quote from an independent for $1200, broken down to $300 in labor, $800 in parts and the rest in shop fees and tax. I've seen the air spring as low as $550 from Porsche parts places online, and 3 hrs labor seems like something I can knock out on a Saturday afternoon. (already replaced both fronts in an 04 turbo)
Where I run into trouble is the nitrogen charging. I obviously can't do that in my garage, though this thing has been leaking and reinflating itself for a couple of months now, getting worse in the cold. it's certainly taking air from atmosphere to keep the system working and may be fine to reinstate and get it to a shop for nitrogen recharge.
The following users liked this post:
TheUnscented (08-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2017, 10:01 PM
Kirill
Racer

$3200 was the number my dealer gave me, presumably to replace the entire strut assembly instead of just the air spring.
I've received another quote from an independent for $1200, broken down to $300 in labor, $800 in parts and the rest in shop fees and tax. I've seen the air spring as low as $550 from Porsche parts places online, and 3 hrs labor seems like something I can knock out on a Saturday afternoon. (already replaced both fronts in an 04 turbo)
Where I run into trouble is the nitrogen charging. I obviously can't do that in my garage, though this thing has been leaking and reinflating itself for a couple of months now, getting worse in the cold. it's certainly taking air from atmosphere to keep the system working and may be fine to reinstate and get it to a shop for nitrogen recharge.
I think for 3200$ they would just take a guess and replace, compressor, air spring, level sensor and still make nice margin. AKA this number is pulled out of ...

I say - buy parts online - bring it to indy and pay 300$

But I am curious on Nitrogen fill process
In theory you can get gas tank - http://www.airgas.com/p/NI%20UHP15A
pressure reducer
fill adapter, i believe Porsche PN T10157 it's VW V03839037QA - probably can get at VW dealer, should cost about 10$ https://www.online-teile.com/volkswa...ml?language=en
May be you will need PIWIS to initiate fill sequence
Probably 100-200$ in supplies, https://www.prestacycle.com/product/...tem-more-info/

or may be VW dealer can do it for less $$$

If you going to indy\dealer - ask them if there is some moisture absorbent in the system that can be replaced, you may have air in the system - and with air, you get moisture - if you're going to get it refilled with nitrogen - good idea to replace whatever they do for moisture absorbent.

Did you try spraying things with soapy water to see if you can find a leak?

Last edited by Kirill; 12-25-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:38 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Sorry, been out of town for a week. Went on vacation to Mexico to escape my German problems. I love this car and the air ride, but i've only had this car 3 months and already looking at a major repair.

Unfortunately, I have gotten a red Chassis System Failure at least 3 times now. The car only wants to stay in low-level mode. I am pretty sure my front passenger strut is leaking air. It sits lower than the other side and I can hear a pretty audible pshhhhh noise as if its deflating sometimes. I think my compressor is OK, but it is probably working hard to air up the front passenger strut. It is taking longer now. Hopefully that it won't need to be replaced as well.

I am going to try take it into the shop for a diagnosis next week. Seems driveable in low-level mode but I'm not pushing it.

I have access to a fully equipped tuning shop with lifts and some knowledgeable mechanic buddies. I'm no mechanic, I know just enough to get myself in trouble. Knowing how much the parts and repair might cost, is replacing or rebuilding the front strut and/or the compressor something we could do? Is it all mechanical or any electrical/software recalibration needed? Anyone have a link to repair manual of sorts?
It is possible to damage the compressor if it keeps running on due to the leak. Not real common but I have seen it and the pump is another couple grand so why risk it. The mechanical repair itself isn't all that hard. Pull the strut assembly, replace the air bellows and reinstall. The gotcha is refilling the system. You will need a commercially available nitrogen tank with a regulator. Then the factory Porsche line and adapter to connect to the pressure accumulator under the car on the drivers side. Then you'll need either the factory PIWIS 3 tester or some kind of equivalent to get the air suspension control unit to do the filling procedure. If I were you I would buy the parts online and take them to the dealer for installation. Dealer parts prices are absurd.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:50 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by PTEC
FWIW I have seen quite a few passenger front (not sure why its the passenger front but it always is) air springs leaking. I have disassembled these and never been able to see the leak with my own eyes but the issue is always corrected with a new air bellows. Just because it will air up doesn't mean there isn't a small leak. The leaks are very small and they seem only to leak at certain positions or pressures. Its not like you have a giant glaring hole that you would see from a mile away. The only thing that can cause a drop in height is a loss of air.
I had passenger front dropping to the floor progressively faster until it was replaced. Of course, it also resulted in pump replacement and two other air struts replaced, which I'm not sure needed to be replaced.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:56 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I had passenger front dropping to the floor progressively faster until it was replaced. Of course, it also resulted in pump replacement and two other air struts replaced, which I'm not sure needed to be replaced.
I would suspect they replaced both front air bellows just to make sure the drivers side one didn't develop a leak in the near future and you found yourself back with almost the same problem. I would assume this was all under warranty?
Old 12-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Kirill
Racer

Do you know if pressure release valve is part of air spring? Could the leak be the release valve not closing completely?
Old 12-27-2017, 01:14 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

I would suspect they replaced both front air bellows just to make sure the drivers side one didn't develop a leak in the near future and you found yourself back with almost the same problem. I would assume this was all under warranty?
They replaced both fronts and one rear that developed a leak during calibration, plus the pump. They replaced entire struts, not just springs, because according to them it came down to almost the same money due to less labor. It was not under warranty :-(

Quick Reply: Air Suspension stuck in low level: "not possible" going up.