Cayenne Diesel purchase advice with check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:40 AM
hulubei
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Diesel purchase advice with check engine light

Hi,
I'm about to buy a CD from 2012 with around 115.000 miles on it.
The biggest concern after not owing a VAG like diesel car for ages is that, the owner, by itself, said that the car from time to time gets the engine light on because of bad diesel.
He said something about a sensor that is getting clogged but he doesn't know to much about cars. My assumption is that actually the diesel filter might be triggering this.
I have to say that I'm in Romania, where as part of EU, the diesel quality is very tough controlled but sometimes you can still get water in it from the station itself.
Could be actually an easy fix like a new diesel filter or might be something that from time to time do a bad readout like a sensor and this means that the particulate filter, catalyst and other might be in trouble too.
I would keep this car for 3-4 more years, around 10.000 miles per year and don't want to pay for nothing repairs, of course. The owner is the second owner, having the car for a year and less than 10.000 miles.
What are your advice on this?
Old 09-05-2017, 11:11 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

The advice is to buy an OBDII scanner for $40 and know the code(s). Then you google the code(s) for problem(s).

It will be the best value for money spent.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Get the codes scanned. You don't want to assume. could be something as simple as the ad-blue heater - which is a larger job to fix, for a simple part. or the particulate filter. or the cats. or or or.... need the codes to find out.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:45 PM
hulubei
Track Day

Any ELM327 scanner will do the job? Asking this because last cars were BMW and Jaguar and neither of them do much or at all with the ELM. Is Porsche more on the generic scanners for most of the errors?
I was asking you also to try to seek the answer: the bad diesel with water in it might trigger the check engine light.
I'm also hoping if I do the trip (300 miles to the owner), to have the car with the errors not deleted. If there is something that appears from time to time and the owner has a friend with a scan tool, could also clear fault codes while waiting for me to arrive.

By the way, for sure is something that was discussed over and over but asking one more time: what to look after, other than the oil leakage under between engine and transmission? Any know repetitive fault of CD especially for high mileage ones?
Old 09-05-2017, 06:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by hulubei
By the way, for sure is something that was discussed over and over but asking one more time: what to look after, other than the oil leakage under between engine and transmission? Any know repetitive fault of CD especially for high mileage ones?
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html
Old 09-06-2017, 03:59 AM
hulubei
Track Day

Thank you all.
That thread was already read and most related topics in fist 5 pages related to CD.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel purchase advice with check engine light