Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to replace throttle body for a 2005 Cayenne base

Old 06-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need to replace throttle body for a 2005 Cayenne base

Dealer wanted $550 for the part and $800 for labor.
I thought that was a little high.
Pelican had several throttle bodys listed ranging from ~$400 - ~$1200 and none of them matched the Cayenne.
So I came across parts geek which has a Bosch listed for a Cayenne base for like $180.

Any reason not to shop from there? If so what's the best alternative?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:46 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

no they are fine. We sell the same thing for 188.14 it is a bosch part and good. It is easy to replace yourself so no reason to take it to the dealer.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:48 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

948 605 115 03 if you want to compare prices, bosch number is 0 280 750 114
Old 06-29-2017, 01:00 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

I just placed the order and cleared my calendar for the long weekend to do this, thank you
Old 06-29-2017, 01:11 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

it will actually be fun to do and you can clean up the engine covers at the same time.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:01 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Throttle body is super easy... what makes you think yours is bad? Just be careful and deliberate with the plastic vacuum lines, etc., or else you will be ordering those too.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:48 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt O.
what makes you think yours is bad?
The dealer said they tried to clean it but the mechanism doesn't properly open/close so it needs to be replaced.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:45 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Does the throttle have a slight "stick" when you first press on it? If so, the problem is sticky buildup inside the diameter of the throttle body. When the butterfly closes, the edges "sticky" goo and don't want to release well. This is EMMINENTLY cleanable... I've done it on several vehicles with over 100,000 miles... takes minutes. You have to be able to reach the edges of the butterfly and clean those, and also clean the throttle body bore where the butterfly edges touch. Anything will work for cleaning... brake cleaner or isoproply alcohol both work great. Don't pour it in. Apply to a microfiber cleaning cloth that doesn't shed fibers and wipe surfaces clean. There's not much in the throttle body to fail... just a pivot, the butter fly valve and the body itself (casting or plastic), an external link that connects to the throttle (or an electrical wire connection to a servo motor that opens/closes the butterfly). If it has the electric servo... that's really about the only thing you might have trouble with causing the throttle to perhaps not open or close when you want it to (delays in responding). And they (throttle body assembly) really are easy to access and replace in most vehicles... $800 for labor is criminal for that small of an amount of work.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:01 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
Does the throttle have a slight "stick" when you first press on it?

... $800 for labor is criminal for that small of an amount of work.
I'm not sure, it's my Xs car. She says it just stops while driving and the dealer said the culprit was the throttle body.

When she told me I opined that $800 sounded high and this confirms that suspicion, thanks
Old 06-30-2017, 02:46 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

This sounds more like a guess at what was wrong other than the real solution. If the car completely stops, it could be caused by many things other than the throttle body... including the fuel pump stopping after it gets warm. When she said it "stops" does she mean the engine turned off, or that the engine kept idling, but lost speed down to a crawl? If the engine kept running but only at "idle" speed, that could indicate that the throttle butterfly was closing while she had the accelerator depressed... THAT sort of problem would point at the throttle body. If the engine completely turns off (loss of power brake boost and loss of power steering), that indicates you are losing spark or fuel completely and those wouldn't have anything to do with the throttle body. If communications aren't good with the ex, you may need to drive the vehicle yourself to determine the actual problem. I assume she was doing SOMETHING that would get the car running again after it "stopped"? And was not in need of a tow? So the car will still start and drive now? At least until the problem happens again?
Old 06-30-2017, 03:37 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
This sounds more like a guess at what was wrong other than the real solution.

When she said it "stops" does she mean the engine turned off, or that the engine kept idling, but lost speed down to a crawl?

And was not in need of a tow? So the car will still start and drive now? At least until the problem happens again?
A guess is kind of correct, the dealer said it could be a number of things but that the TB is definitely bad, needs to be replaced anyway, and is the likely cause.

I'll interview myself and drive if I have to in order to get more detail other than just "stopping"
Old 07-03-2017, 09:24 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

The pictures of the throttle body in this article don't match up with what I'm seeing under my hood.
I suspect this article was written for a V8 and mine's a (2005) V6 (base).
Anyone know where the throttle body is on a V6? I searched online but only saw pictures of the part itself.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:12 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

The location shouldn't be much different. The Throttle Body allows air into the intake manifold on top of the engine. Throttle bodies are either on top of the intake manifold or close to the intake manifold with some sort of tube or plenum carrying the air to the top of the intake manifold. It sounds like the V-8s have electronic (servo motor) control of the butterfly so if that's the case for the V-6 also, there won't be a throttle "cable"... you'll have throttle electrical wires instead. The throttle body may be covered up by a big plastic trim panel on top of the engine that has to be removed to access the throttle body.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:28 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

If it helps any V6 owners do this, I took a few pictures of the location of the 2005 Cayenne Base V6 throttle body. Everything should be self explanatory
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
chitin (01-09-2021)
Old 07-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

She said "stopping" meant the engine had lost power.
Since I replaced the throttle body the problem has been solved and the CEL codes cleared themselves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to replace throttle body for a 2005 Cayenne base