Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

957 open headlights or how to clean them inside?

Old 08-21-2017, 01:57 PM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2017, 03:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
My Home Depot sells the really strong rare earth magnets in different sizes.

Suncoast sells pre-cut headlight clearbra protection film kits.
I'd have to look at the ones Suncoast sells. Most that are pre-cut "headlight protection" are very thick clear-bra and a PITA to put on since they can't be easily stretched like the thin 10-mil clear-bra can be.

I suspect if you Google around - you'll probably find a place that does vehicle wraps (and commercial wraps - advertising) in your area. The one near me had a computer generated pattern for the Cayenne headlight that fit it exactly. He cut out a pair in about 30 seconds from some thin normal clear-bra. It took him about a minute per side to fit them perfectly - no bubbles, no marks - they're invisible to the eye, but if you gently touch the edge of the headlight you can just feel the outer margin of the film. Cost was around $40 or something close to that. Then he liked the Porsche enough that he did some trimming on the body clear-bra that wasn't perfectly installed.. for free. Did a very nice job.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:40 AM
Paolo Rindone
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

any news or pictures after take it off the glass of the 957 headlights?
I have exactly the same problem.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,134 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo Rindone
Hi,

any news or pictures after take it off the glass of the 957 headlights?
I have exactly the same problem.
I did the headlights on my 957 Turbo S to remove the foggy film on the inside directly in-front of the main Xenon lamp. When I did my widebody build, since the car got a fresh repaint and looked brand new, I purchased new headlight housings from Suncoast so they would also be new. Afterwards, I used the alcohol swishing method inside the old headlights and it completely removed the fog from inside - wish I had tried this before buying the new lights as it would have saved me a couple thousand dollars. I put the other housings up for sale - the Passenger side sold, but I still have the Driver's side available.

If you zoom in on these pictures, you can see the fog on both headlights (more visible in the first pic than the 2nd one)

Here are pictures of the Driver's side headlight after the alcohol swish and thoroughly drying

If anyone needs a new headlight housing (minus the bulb and ballast, which I moved over to the new housings), this one is for sale for $650 + shipping and PP fees.

Here's the process I used - get some 91% rubbing alcohol and a hypodermic needle. Remove the headlight from the car and pop off the back caps, then introduce enough of the alcohol in a direction that keeps it away from the electrical components. You need enough where when holding the light lens down you'll be able to swish it around on the inside of the lens. Once you've done that for a while, make sure you haven't picked up any debris from inside the light assembly that is sitting on the lens and then turn it upside (lens at the top now), shake the alcohol out, and let it dry that way for a day or so. If you let it dry lens down any remaining alcohol will run back onto the lens and make a stain. Once it's dry inside that inside haze will be gone.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For the cloudy haze on the interior of the lenses on my 957, I used the magnet method and it worked perfectly. Home-Depot sells 1/2" wide ceramic magnets that will fit through the aperture of the high beam halogen bulb (see photo).

1) Remove headlight assembly using provided tool in tool kit
2) Remove headlight harness connector by pushing down on lever and wiggling the connector outwards. Be patient as this may take some time to remove.
3) Place headlight assembly on a bench (on a towel) and remove service cover for high beam bulb. Turn bulb holder counterclockwise and remove bulb assembly from aperture; taking care not to touch bulb with your fingers.
4) Using cotton material (old t-shirt works best), wrap the attracting side of both magnets and tie a small bundle in back of each magnet using a twist tie wire. Trim excess wire so that it will not scratch the lense when dropping it inside. The magnet used on the exterior is wrapped so as to avoid scratching the exterior of the lense while swiping.
5) Soak one of the magnets in 70% Isopropyl alcohol and invert the lense downwards while dropping the soaked magnet into the assembly. Using the other wrapped magnet, place it on the exterior portion of the lense so that it attracts the soaked magnet. Once they've mated, swipe in a side-to-side and up-down motion to remove the haze. You will notice a black residue that will accumulate onto the cotton material.
6) Remove magnet from assembly and replace cotton wrap with a new one. Clean again. Keep repeating this process until the cotton material no longer shows dirt & grime.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Paolo Rindone
7th Gear

Many thanks!
Works for me also and i save 2500EUR
Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 PM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
For the cloudy haze on the interior of the lenses on my 957, I used the magnet method and it worked perfectly. Home-Depot sells 1/2" wide ceramic magnets that will fit through the aperture of the high beam halogen bulb (see photo).

1) Remove headlight assembly using provided tool in tool kit
2) Remove headlight harness connector by pushing down on lever and wiggling the connector outwards. Be patient as this may take some time to remove.
3) Place headlight assembly on a bench (on a towel) and remove service cover for high beam bulb. Turn bulb holder counterclockwise and remove bulb assembly from aperture; taking care not to touch bulb with your fingers.
4) Using cotton material (old t-shirt works best), wrap the attracting side of both magnets and tie a small bundle in back of each magnet using a twist tie wire. Trim excess wire so that it will not scratch the lense when dropping it inside. The magnet used on the exterior is wrapped so as to avoid scratching the exterior of the lense while swiping.
5) Soak one of the magnets in 70% Isopropyl alcohol and invert the lense downwards while dropping the soaked magnet into the assembly. Using the other wrapped magnet, place it on the exterior portion of the lense so that it attracts the soaked magnet. Once they've mated, swipe in a side-to-side and up-down motion to remove the haze. You will notice a black residue that will accumulate onto the cotton material.
6) Remove magnet from assembly and replace cotton wrap with a new one. Clean again. Keep repeating this process until the cotton material no longer shows dirt & grime.
Thank you for this write up! Pardon the stupid question, but do you leave something attached to the magnet in order to get them out of the housing, or is it easy enough to shake it out once you are done?
Old 09-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Ex968racer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a needle an thread to stitch the cloth closed to prevent the magnet from scratching anything and left a long piece of thread attached so I could pull it back out.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:11 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jd_gts
Thank you for this write up! Pardon the stupid question, but do you leave something attached to the magnet in order to get them out of the housing, or is it easy enough to shake it out once you are done?
I simply inverted the lens and the magnet finds its way back through the high beam bulb aperture. Remember to keep changing the cloth repeatedly and reapplying the alcohol, otherwise you will get hazy swipe marks that will only be visible in direct sunlight.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I attempted this last night with glass towel, hanger wire and some isopropyl alcohol. It turned out great! I may go in with a fresh rag at a later date to clean them up a bit more, but they are fine for now. I am highly impressed with how easy it was to remove the headlights! Thanks OP for the great write up!

JD

Before

After

Last edited by Jd_gts; 09-06-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:37 AM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! This is awesome! I am doing this ASAP! Thanks, all!
Old 11-06-2023, 07:59 PM
ThomasGS4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Attempting this one tonight on the '09 CTTS, wish me luck!
Old 11-07-2023, 12:42 PM
ThomasGS4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Following up - the lights cleaned up nicely, however I am having some issues with the driver's side headlight now.

I'm now receiving the resident "check dipped beam" warning and the Xenon bulb is not turning on, the cornering lamps are no longer functioning however the high beam works. Off to check and clean the connectors.

Last edited by ThomasGS4; 11-07-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:17 AM
Dhsg
Banned

Originally Posted by Turbo Alex
Hi, is there any possibility to open the headlights on the 957 TTS or to remove the lamps so I can get access to the inside of the glass to clean the headlights from the inside. Both of my headlights are covered by a dirt/dust on the inside. From the outside it looks like a milky layer. I went to the Porsche dealer and we removed both headlights and tried to clean the glass from the inside. The biggest problem is to get access to clean the glass from the inside. Does anyone know how to open the headlights or how to remove the inside lens so it will be possible to get access to the inside?

Big thx,
Alex
I’ll rather give my mechanic guy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 957 open headlights or how to clean them inside?