Sponsored by:

Cayenne towing....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:54 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Cayenne towing....

Been kicking around the thought of picking up a Cayenne. Likely around a 2005-2008 model. I've been holding off due to the fact I already have too many cars. I like to be able to tow when I need to, so I had wanted to keep my Suburban...

However I just looked up the Cayenne towing capacity.... 7,716 is what I found.... is this for real??? My 1999 1500 Suburban is only rated for 6k. That would mean on paper the Cayenne is rated for 1,716 MORE pounds of towing capacity than my 1/2 ton truck?? If this is legit I'm blown away, and my Suburban's days are numbered.

Can anyone with experience chime in and say they really push these things with campers or other larger towing jobs, and tell me how well it really does?

Is that an hard extreme limit, or is that underrated? ( I know the Suburbans can tow well over their "rated limit", but wondering on the Cayenne)

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:35 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

I tow everything with my 06, CTTS. Boats, utility trailers, large generators and my bobcat. The generator and bobcat come in at 7500-7600 lbs. Some more info here. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ith-a-car.html
These thing tow surprisingly well, especially with air suspension.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2017, 07:45 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I own a 2010 VW Touareg TDI. Before transitioning to full track transportation/support I towed a very heavy double axle trailer and race car. With the tire rack, and storage box, I calculate the weight at pretty close to 7000 lbs. The VW functioned flawlessly. I am such a fan of this vehicle that I am going to buy a Cayenne diesel once VW buys back my Touareg. It's really a lovely powertrain/chassis.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:23 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The tow ratings for the Cayenne and its cousin the Touareg are for real. I have seen many on the ClubTouareg forum who have towed right up to and over the 7,716 limit with trailers of all shapes and sizes.

I haven't come across a dedicated towing thread on this forum, yet, as I have not searched either, but the Touareg site has one: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...ler-57125.html
Old 03-30-2017, 12:43 PM
JaredT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your Suburban is a 350, you will LOVE towing with the Cayenne. The short distance from the rear axle to the hitch reduces the wag greatly. Buy a Turbo with the factory hitch. The leveling and stiffening of the air suspension when the trailer wiring is connected is awesome. It also changes the Trans shift points.

I should have loaded this car backwards to even out the weight, but I had to load it on the side of the hwy after it broke down. I towed it for over 600 miles. At 65MPH, I got 12.5 MPG. At 95MPH not so much... It is very easy to get going way faster than you should when towing.

Note how nice and level the Cayenne is even though the trailer is loaded poorly. You are forced to have the car all the way to the front on the trailer.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:05 PM
dytryn
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I regularly tow my 3,400 lb M3 plus wheels and gear with my '13 CDD and average over 20 mpg. As noted above, the air suspension is amazing.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:22 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Went from an 04 suburban 1500 to an 04 cayenne turbo. The cayenne is the superior car in every way except for interior cargo space and maintenance cost. It tows much better due to the air ride, bigger brakes, more horsepower and torque, two additional forward gears with manual lockout ability, etc etc
Old 03-30-2017, 02:38 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Awesome! I'm sold. Guess what I'm getting this year! So, do all of them come with the air suspension, or only ones with towing package? What do I need to look for? Can a non towing package one be converted to do the stiffening, levering, and shift point change?

I mainly want towing for a camper down the road, but I was looking at 1/2 ton towable anyway so this would fit the bill nicely!

Thanks for the great responses and input! Just like over on the 944 side, it's the people here and the community at large that have given me Porsche Passion. Best group of car people on the net!
Old 03-30-2017, 03:57 PM
JaredT
Intermediate

All Turbos have air suspension, it was an option for other models. My wife's CTT did not have the tow package. I was able to source the hitch, bumper foam, wire, and tow module from a junkyard. It took about 2 hours to install, fairly simple and much better than having to hack wires with an aftermarket setup.

For the air suspension, while shopping look for the right hand switch shown in this pic. Left side is Transfer Case and Right side is Air Suspension.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:31 PM
alex.rhodes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What all is included in the trailer prep package? I need to get a hitch installed on my 08 CS and it says it has the prep package. Can I just get a hitch, or should I just get the factory tow package?

Alex
Old 03-30-2017, 05:35 PM
JaredT
Intermediate

I don't know for an 08, but on the 04 it was wired to just by the CD changer in the rear right waiting for a Towing module to be plugged in. I needed to get the tow module, which connects by the CD changer, then the wire that goes out to the 7 pole trailer connector. If you do any DIY, it is an easy job. No drilling, cutting, or splicing.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my hitch, wiring, and module from an eBay junker for a 955. I had thought I could reuse the foam that is in the bumper but after reading this thread, it sounds like they are different?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:36 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Drive a diesel and you will be impressed at how responsive it is. In addition if you get a diesel you will still have the tow rating, off-road capability with air suspension and amazing fuel range. The most we have gotten with our diesel is 765 miles indicated to a tank. Took a photo of the 765 on the dash and included it in the article we wrote about our 6,500 mile trip. On another trip - 5,500 mile trek north of the Arctic Circle, it started without any issue after being cold soaked to -36F overnight without being plugged in - plugins were not available. The diesels low end torque is very useful. There is a link to the article in the 'Meet Otis' thread below.

--------------------------------
Rennlist 'Meet Otis' post. Much more to post as time permits.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...meet-otis.html
Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 4,939 Likes on 1,911 Posts

Does the towing module standard on a Cayenne with the towing package act as a brake controller as well?

If not, is there a specific brake controller recommended for easy and safe instillation on a Cayenne?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I tow everything with my 06, CTTS. Boats, utility trailers, large generators and my bobcat. The generator and bobcat come in at 7500-7600 lbs. Some more info here. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ith-a-car.html
These thing tow surprisingly well, especially with air suspension.
Strong.

Quick Reply: Cayenne towing....