Sponsored by:

Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:42 AM
RickGrimes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs

So further to my tyre question in another recent post, the dealer mentioned a couple of other things and I'd like ur opinion on Porsche parts V pattern

Spark plugs
Porsche dealer €535 fitted
Pattern €150 + installation

Lower o/s ball joint €935 fitted
Pattern €120 + fitting

If I go for good quality pattern parts is it just a short term saving?

My other option is to get OE parts from the UK (which is about 25% cheaper than Ireland) and have my local Indy fit them at significantly lower labour rates

What ya'll think?
Old 03-12-2017, 04:19 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

There are parts sources in the US (rockauto.com) that offer two ot three or even four different versions of many parts and often one of them is identified as being made by the same vendor as the original part. If you can find parts made by the original manufacturer (like Hitachi alternators on many 955/957 and possibly other years), you can get the same performance as the original part without any added cost of being run through the Porsche organization. Occasionally, you even see an improved version of the original part... like BMW window lift mechanisms with ball bearings in critical locations where the original part had no ball bearings. Cheap alternative parts that aren't made as well as the originals aren't a great idea, but it's difficult to know the quality of the replacements unless the site you buy from has reviews of the part and whether it was a direct replacement or not. The ball joint replacement cost seems very excessive, especially if that is for just 1 ball joint replacement... if it was for replacing 2 ball joints it would be a little expensive. The other thing about non-Porsche parts is that some, like ball-joints are less likely to be problematic because ball joints are relatively generic. Spark plugs are similar... no reason to use any good-quality spark plug as a replacement. But there are some items, more complex parts specific to the Cayenne that can be problematic... body panels not made by the original manufacturer, for example, are notorious (across all brands, not just Porsche) for being "close" to the right size, shape, etc. but requiring a lot more work to fit than a Porsche replacement part. So when it comes to parts, use some discretion, but common parts like ball joints and spark plugs... should be no issues as long as the parts are made well.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:15 PM
RickGrimes
Intermediate

Thanks for that

I should have titled the piece OEM v Pattern

As you have said it's fine to use pattern if they are of good quality. It's hard to know about the quality unless people have reviewed them.

I suppose my hesitation was because I felt some parts could only be provided or approved for use by Porsche. For example A40 approved engine oil. I'm also keen on using Porsche oil filters despite many good oil filters out there. That's just my thing for that part in any car I have ever owned tho.

However the price for 1 lower control arm is mental and I will be searching out a pattern part.

Can I assume the Bosch spark plugs will be a fine replacement for the OEM ones too?

RG
Old 03-12-2017, 10:51 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Pelican Parts (pelicanparts.com and rockauto.com) and a couple of other places that discount Porsche factory parts may have helpful info on them even if you don't order from them. Both Rock Auto and Pelican parts identify (08 Cayenne S V-8, you can check other years/models on either site)

Spark Plug - Bosch FGR-5-NQE-04

As the OEM spark plug, Pelican sells the Bosch plug for $6.75 each or they will sell you the same plug, still a Bosch part, but sourced from Porsche for $20.50 each... more than 3 times the cost of the "bare" part. Rock Auto is often the cheapest source for a part in the US if they have what you want (can be limited on Cayennes, but they have a fair selection of sensors, relays, fuel filler door relay, etc.). Pelican is another site that is good about identifying the OEM part sold directly by the manufacturer rather than going through Porsche's parts-markup-mill. For your control arm... Pelican Parts identifies TRW as Porsche's OEM supplier for control arms ('08 957 S, some other year or model could have a different supplier) and they list the Porsche right lower control arm for $451 versus $230.25 for the TRW part. So very close to half the cost of the Porsche lower control arm. Pelican lists a SECOND lower control arm wih a different Porsche part number and different price and it offers THAT different lower control arm (same side as the one above, left lower) for about $350 from Porsche or $200 from TRW which is listed as the OEM for that item also. So you may want to look at these web sites to see what acceptable alternatives you can find. With the old filter being just a replacement filter element with everything else taken care of in the design of the cannister and engine fitting so using non-Porsche oil filter, as long as it is a good filter will work the same for any reasonably well-made brand. Pelican, again, lists the Porsche OEM filter supplier as Mahle and sells the Mahle filter for $16 vs a little more than $20 for the Porsche oil filter. But Rock Auto lists a Mahle/Clevite oil filter as the OEM replacement for just $11.76. So Pelican Parts beat Rock Auto on Bosch spark plug cost while Rock Auto beat Pelican on the Mahle oil filter price. You may even find that adding international shipping to an order for spare parts STILL saves you money over parts you source closer to home (lots of variables there, I know, like whether you would pay import/customs duty on the US purchases that could erase some of the savings. I just looked for ball joints again and see that the photo of the TRW and Porsche control arms include bushings at the pivot AND the ball joint pre-installed. So if you are going to replace the control arm, you wouldn't need a separate ball joint... unless the ball joint you want is for a different control arm that you are not replacing. Anyway... lots of helpful parts info on those websites even if you decide to order the parts from somewhere else.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

So there are really 3 different versions of any given part... the one sold by the vehicle manufacturer... Porsche in this case. Then there is the same part made by the same company Porsche purchased the part from in the first place, but that part has never been in Porsche's hands. Then there are third party companies who replicate parts either from drawings (digital files) or from scanning the part from a vehicle in question and using that data to manufacture their version of the part. The third category is the one to worry about the most. Their part could be worse than the original or not fit as well as the original... or it could be completely fine. In some cases, these third parties identify design deficiencies and improve the part making their inexpensive replacement potentially better than the original... but without a number of people trying these improved parts and leaving reviews, it's difficult to know if the "improved" or "replica" part is as good as or better than (or worse than) the original. Car manufacturers actually minimize the number of parts they manufacture themselves... much easier/cheaper to purchase something from a company that specializes in manufacturing that sort of part than it is to make it yourself.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:10 PM
RickGrimes
Intermediate

Thanks Scoot

That's a lot of really helpful information. It's hilarious how many car brands charge a premium on products knowing that a bunch of people will pay the extra just for the convenience factor.

Cheers

RG
Old 03-13-2017, 05:37 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

I don't think most people know you can get $20 Porsche or BMW spark plugs for less than $7 elsewhere... I think most people assume dealers charge reasonable/responsible prices for replacement parts. It doesn't sound that bad for ONE spark plug, but multiply by 8 and you're talking about paying $100 too much for spark plugs from a dealer. I'm not even sure most people realize that car manufacturers buy "assemblies" from third parties, things that could be used in other models or even in other brands of car. I suspect people think a mainstream car like a US Ford has 85% Ford-made parts when it probably has 30% Ford-made parts. And that a Porsche might have 95% Porsche-made parts... they just don't realize how many parts come from "outside" and can be purchased "outside" also! But the research on parts can tell you a lot about whether the Bosch or TRW or Mahle part is a fine alternative to the "Porsche" original or not.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs