Sponsored by:

Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 AM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Brake Job

Just to relay experience. I replaced pads, sensors and rotors over a 2 week period driving the week in between. Fronts went without a hitch. Left rear the sensor to car connection plug was frozen. Cut one off upstream from donor Cayenne and spliced it in. At right rear we couldn't get upper caliper bolt off. Impact wrench. 3' breaker bar with floor jack. Nada. Sprayed on more Kroil and tried the next weekend. Couldn't get to it with impact twister/5# hammer. It finally came out with just the man powered breaker bar. Well, there was that 5# hammer invoked too. Anyway, all is well now. Can't believe Kroil was the difference. It may have been a different angle with the breaker bar and that hammer. But my advice would be to use a penetrating oil a week in advance. I had MAPP torch in standby too but thankfully didn't need. Oh, and right rear has the parking brake. Had a hard time getting the old rotor off. Used the hammer on that too.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:40 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for posting your experience. I have a box full of rear brake parts sitting in the garage. Need to set aside some time and get that job done soon.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:40 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jfort
Just to relay experience. I replaced pads, sensors and rotors over a 2 week period driving the week in between. Fronts went without a hitch. Left rear the sensor to car connection plug was frozen. Cut one off upstream from donor Cayenne and spliced it in. At right rear we couldn't get upper caliper bolt off. Impact wrench. 3' breaker bar with floor jack. Nada. Sprayed on more Kroil and tried the next weekend. Couldn't get to it with impact twister/5# hammer. It finally came out with just the man powered breaker bar. Well, there was that 5# hammer invoked too. Anyway, all is well now. Can't believe Kroil was the difference. It may have been a different angle with the breaker bar and that hammer. But my advice would be to use a penetrating oil a week in advance. I had MAPP torch in standby too but thankfully didn't need. Oh, and right rear has the parking brake. Had a hard time getting the old rotor off. Used the hammer on that too.
Also good to add just a little touch of anti-seize paste to the tip of each caliper bolt before replacing them with new ones.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:24 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Amen on the anti-seize... makes the next time (if there is one) SO much easier. Rotor screws/bolts and caliper bolts. I even use it on brake pad pins (when they exist, not every caliper has them) and the edges of brake pads so the pads have less tendency to stick in the caliper as they wear... not much required there, you don't want it migrating onto the pad surface. The greasiness of anti-seize goes away over time, leaving an almost dry paste-like residue that keeps surfaces from sticking due to rust or other corrosion.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:57 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kroil is great stuff. We can't live without it.

Quick Reply: Brake Job