Sponsored by:

Porsche... Its a contagious disease

Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,955 Likes on 933 Posts
Default Porsche... Its a contagious disease

Just 90 days ago, we were a regular family

We were happy, content (with the choices in our driveway) We had owned all of the cars in the driveway for over a decade and were planning on driving them for years to come.. (or at least till the two teenagers went to college)..

then one fine morning, I saw a craigslist AD for a Cayman S that needed a lot of TLC and was selling for 1/3rd its "book value"..
I closed my eyes and against most advice, pulled the trigger.. and a long time dream came to fruition...

fast forward to 3 weeks ago. Wife finally ready to retire her minivan and buy something newer and hopefully a little more fun
Wife makes a list, Q7, GL350 , Cayenne and at the bottom, a reliable though boring option, Honda Pilot.
That weekend, on the way back from a family dinner, we stop by at the local Porsche dealer at 9:00PM.. hoping no one is around so we can look at cars without a salesperson bothering us. Turns put a sales person was just finishing up and he invited us to stop by next day and test drive coupe of cars..
Wife drives Cayenne, like the car but is underwhelmed by the performance. Salesperson pressure her into driving a 2014 Cayenne GTS.
Test drive lasts for 25 minutes and I knew then, it was already too late. There was no point looking at any other car.
We stil do the mature thing, go to carman the next day and drive Q7, GL450 and Pilot.. None bring even a smile to her face. She talk about the GTS like it was some drunken one night stand she had in Amsterdam.

The disease, the obsession.. I saw it first hand.. She had never been a Porsche fan... Any interest she ever showed in the brand was last September when we visited the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. but now, all she talked about was the GTS. She talked about it before going to bed, and first thing in the morning..
I knew the only way to stop the madness was to just get her what she really wants.. Put aside all mature thinking, the calculations, the planing to buy a car that fits our needs and that can accommodate 3 kids..

Ok, I am just rambling now...

I picked her 2013 GTS 3 days ago...figured I should share..
We are now a Porsche family...

Old 02-21-2017, 11:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Good for your wife. Now lets hear about the fight for the keys..
Old 02-22-2017, 07:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,134 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Unfortunately, I can tell you it only gets worse, not better. How many kids you have will tell you how many more gold crested cars will end up in your driveway.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats! Do you know that this disease is incurable?
Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Ex968racer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story. It's a disease that becomes an addiction. I had a 968 in my early 20's. I sold it to purchase my first house and ever since then I had a craving to get back into one. 16 years later I relapsed. I now have a Cayenne GTS. Love it.

My name is Steve and I am a Porsche addict. There, I said it.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Porsche... Its a contagious disease...

It spreads by close contact.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Congrats! Do you know that this disease is incurable?
It's curable. It's absolutely curable.

The only problem is that the person has to want to be 'cured'.

Congrats on the GTS.

Congradudolences on turning your wife on to the disease.

It will make it so much easier to justify getting more of them.

The only problem is that for every one you get, she will want one.

OTOH, you might find it a ton of fun to find a 924 or 944 for the kids. Depending on your skills, experience, willingness, ect.; you could find a project to work on as a family.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:12 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a 2013 Cayenne GTS (Red) and I love it. For an SUV, that thing will really haul in sport mode.

Yeah our family got the disease too. At one point we had two Cayennes (my DD and my wifes DD), as well as a TTS and a GT4. We are down to 3 Porsches at the moment, but my wife would love a Targa!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The problem with this car...is every drive feels like the very first time. I find MORE excuses to drive than any car or truck I ever owned....
Old 02-22-2017, 01:51 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

When we started our search for a diesel SUV, the first one I had her drive was the CD. She tells every that because of that, all the others we drove (Audi, MB, BMW, Jeep) just didn't live up to the "standard".

And, of course, Porsche didn't help with their World Roadshows. They're like drug dealers... here, just have a little taste. You can walk away if you don't like it. Uh huh....
Old 02-22-2017, 03:16 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm guilty of it as well.

I'd always known about Porsche and the 911, but never asprired to own one. Then when we went to replace my wife's X5 back in '14, I made the decision to get the Cayenne. Now, I'm obsessing over getting a 911 in a year or so. I can't begin to tell you how many videos I've watched about 997 Turbos and 991 S's.

I'm even thinking later down the road of getting her a Macan and making the Cayenne my DD.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Skiahh's comment about Porsche World Roadshows is spot on.

A few years ago my wife and I literally left the roadshow and went straight to the dealership. Had they had a Boxster on the showroom floor like the one we had just driven on the track, it would have been sold.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Congrats on the purchase and I'm sorry you have the disease now. It generally only gets worse from here on out.

I started out with a 944 Turbo 9 years ago. I thought I was good there, I thought the disease was holding course.

Then this past fall, it amped up.... suddenly I had a Boxster, Cayman, and a Cayenne Diesel in the garage.

I don't know what happened... hit me like a ton of bricks.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:36 PM
Porsche_Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, same with my wife. Does not want to ever own any other SUV's other than Porsche Cayenne's. Says it's the best SUV she has driven.

I personally am a Range Rover fan when it comes to SUVs..which we sold for the Cayenne cause she wanted it..
Old 02-22-2017, 10:58 PM
BladeMD
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a sports car fan of somewhat modest means who has worked up towards some great cars (350z, 11 Camaro SS, more) and my permanent summer fun mobile is a '00 gated 360 Modena, but I crave a winter fun driver.... and have recently testdriven a few Cayennes.

Only took 10 miles. I shall own one. A Turbo. Soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche... Its a contagious disease