Sponsored by:

Would you buy a 2014 Diesel.... now?

Old 12-22-2016, 10:40 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam928sInNYC
hi from Adam in Brooklyn.

I would if I had a larger garage with the gear to making my own diesel. Plenty of Chinese restaurants here, and the cooking oil that smells like French fries will be lots cleaner than some of the so called local diesel sold here in Brooklyn.

Cleaner fuel means better performance.

Besides I don't mind driving around smelling like French fries and chicken wings here. More people will pull over and make space on the highway because they have the munchies.
New European diesels don't like biodiesels so I have heard. You need to buy older diesels.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:13 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Plenty of Olds, Pontiac, Mercury, Saturn, and Plymouth running around in CA with resale no problem. But they weren't out-ed as emissions cheaters. In CA there are concerns about not being able to pass emissions tests without a proper factory fix--and that means you can't re-register (only way to register without passing an emissions test is if you are low-income and spent at least $650 on servicing the emissions system trying to get the car to pass, but you can only bypass the smog check for 2 years, after that you either get the car fixed regardless of cost or scrap it. If you don't fall into the low income category, there's no option, the vehicle must pass emissions testing with no limit on out of pocket repair cost.)
Old 12-22-2016, 04:40 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for all the comments! Car is Int/Ex color I wanted, right mileage........ took the bet...

-Chuck
Old 12-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
However, I would get IN WRITING, as part of the sales contract, that you are entitled to 100% of any compensation offered to owners. No split and certainly the previous owner (or dealer) does not get to keep the compensation.
The sales contract will most likely not be valid in this case as you'd have to get this from the owners (i.e. if buying from a dealer, maybe could fly if private party). The VW settlement is pretty clear that basically says:
if you owned and sold the car before the scandal broke - you get nada
If you owned and sold the car after the scandal broke but before the settlement was announced - you get something
If you owned and sold the car after the settlement but before the buy back you get something else

Basically, there is a split for previous owners after the scandal was announced that is solely based on the fact that sellers after the scandal broke suffered accelerated depreciation.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:24 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

It all depends on what the "fix" is ... I love my Q5 TDI the way it is. Depending on the settlement $$, I won't be taking it in for the "fix" any time soon after they announce it! Hopefully it won't need any warranty work, because it will never get close to an Audi dealer!!
Old 02-26-2017, 04:40 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

My very first post here and am happy to be part of this forum.

I bought a 2016 Cayenne Diesel yesterday and am so happy I was able to find the perfect one as there are not many 2015-2016's for sale.

I have a 2012 Touareg TDI Executive and it is now parked and waiting for the buyback to begin. I'm going to get around $50,000 for it and when the compensation for the fix/modification comes, I'll get another $9-16,000. As my CD was a former lease where the lessee started the lease in 08/2015, they will not be considered a former lessee so all the compensation will be mine. I had my 2012 from 10/2013 till now and it now has 57,000 miles on it and other than an AdBlue repair kit for the tank/heater-whatever it was, that had been covered under the extended AdBlue warranty, the truck has been rock-steady and not a single issue otherwise.

The CD is awesome. I drove 280 miles from NJ to MA and with a 67 mph average, was shown a 31 mpg on the PSM and I was traveling at an average of 75-80 mph the entire drive.

Name:  P1100794_zpswsilgtl9.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  242.5 KB

My Gen 1 TDI would have gotten from 25-26 mpg as that motor is less efficient. So far, other than the keyless entry/exit/start/stop, everything about the CD has been better. I'm one who took a chance and am glad I did as the entire package is outstanding.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:33 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Excellent

So you will get $10,500 plus Bosch $1,500 assuming there is a compliant repair and you have the repair done. Good for you. Sounds like you know the details of what is happening.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:35 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
My very first post here and am happy to be part of this forum.

I bought a 2016 Cayenne Diesel yesterday and am so happy I was able to find the perfect one as there are not many 2015-2016's for sale.

I have a 2012 Touareg TDI Executive and it is now parked and waiting for the buyback to begin. I'm going to get around $50,000 for it and when the compensation for the fix/modification comes, I'll get another $9-16,000. As my CD was a former lease where the lessee started the lease in 08/2015, they will not be considered a former lessee so all the compensation will be mine. I had my 2012 from 10/2013 till now and it now has 57,000 miles on it and other than an AdBlue repair kit for the tank/heater-whatever it was, that had been covered under the extended AdBlue warranty, the truck has been rock-steady and not a single issue otherwise.

The CD is awesome. I drove 280 miles from NJ to MA and with a 67 mph average, was shown a 31 mpg on the PSM and I was traveling at an average of 75-80 mph the entire drive.

My Gen 1 TDI would have gotten from 25-26 mpg as that motor is less efficient. So far, other than the keyless entry/exit/start/stop, everything about the CD has been better. I'm one who took a chance and am glad I did as the entire package is outstanding.

Congrats! This looks like a perfect game plan for Gen 1 owners to continue having a diesel at a minimum cost
Old 02-26-2017, 06:37 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ckkrause
Thanks for all the comments! Car is Int/Ex color I wanted, right mileage........ took the bet...

-Chuck
Congrats! It is a great car. I just purchased a CPO 991.1 S for going around the backroads, but the CD is still my favorite for daily driving
Old 02-26-2017, 07:00 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bella1
So you will get $10,500 plus Bosch $1,500 assuming there is a compliant repair and you have the repair done. Good for you. Sounds like you know the details of what is happening.
Yes, I have a 2012 Touareg TDI and will be getting the fantastic buyback as part of the Gen 1 deal.

Then as there is no former lessee/owner of the CD, because the lessee had started it 08/2015, they are not eligible for any of the compensation. It is a win-win-win for me for sure.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by visitador
Congrats! It is a great car. I just purchased a CPO 991.1 S for going around the backroads, but the CD is still my favorite for daily driving
'

I was back and forth on the CD and the CS for a week but realized that my "fast car phase" had ended with the Corvette I had till 2011 and that the 3.0L TDI is good enough for me as I can get in more than enough trouble than I need to or want to for the time being. Plus, I could not get past getting just 24 mpg hwy when the CD is rated at 29 mpg hwy. The ease at which the CD gets up to speed, along with the 8-speed is so addicting and I've been addicted since 10/2013.

I had my mind set on a 2017 or 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel but it was not until last Sunday, on my way to go snowmobiling with some friends and I was towing my snowmobile on my trailer;

Name:  P1100745_zpsgp74ychz.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  405.1 KB

-when I realized that I was getting 21.5-22 mpg, and the Touareg was working so well and had been for the 3 1/2 years and 41,000 miles I had it for that I knew I had to get myself a CD and I'm so thrilled that I made it happen in spite of the very few CD's for sale within 500 miles of me. Other than a tow hitch and maybe 20" wheels, I got the perfect CD. I am going to have a hitch and the wiring installed and when I called for an estimate was quoted $2,000-$2,500, no biggie as I need it to tow.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:59 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

My SA has promised me a CD out of their inventory once they are released for sale. I've owned the 2010 Touareg TDI since new and look forward to the upgrade to CD after the buyback.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:41 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
As my CD was a former lease where the lessee started the lease in 08/2015, they will not be considered a former lessee so all the compensation will be mine.
Great looking vehicle!

Hate to burst your bubble, but, if the former lease began in August of 2015, unless it was a 2 month lease, the former lessee is, indeed part of the class and can make their claim.

From the settlement:

If you leased an Eligible Vehicle at any time between September 18, 2015 and November 2, 2015, inclusive, your lease was issued by VW Credit, Inc. or Audi Financial Services (Generation One and Two Volkswagen and Audi vehicles) or Porsche Financial Service s, Inc. (Generation Two Porsche vehicles), and you surrendered your vehicle at the end of the lease, you are a Class member. If you surrendered your Eligible Vehicle on or before January 31, 2017, you are an Eligible Former Lessee. If you surrender your Eligible Vehicle after January 31, 2017, you are an Eligible Lessee. Former lessees will be entitled to the same benefits under the Class Action Settlement regardless of whether they are classified as Eligible Lessees or Eligible Former Lessees.

So, unless it was leased from somewhere other than Porsche Finance or it was a 2 month lease, you might have to share some of your booty. And if it was leased from somewhere else, that institution was technically the owner and could make the claim as the former owner.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:58 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skiahh
Great looking vehicle!

Hate to burst your bubble, but, if the former lease began in August of 2015, unless it was a 2 month lease, the former lessee is, indeed part of the class and can make their claim.

From the settlement:

If you leased an Eligible Vehicle at any time between September 18, 2015 and November 2, 2015, inclusive, your lease was issued by VW Credit, Inc. or Audi Financial Services (Generation One and Two Volkswagen and Audi vehicles) or Porsche Financial Service s, Inc. (Generation Two Porsche vehicles), and you surrendered your vehicle at the end of the lease, you are a Class member. If you surrendered your Eligible Vehicle on or before January 31, 2017, you are an Eligible Former Lessee. If you surrender your Eligible Vehicle after January 31, 2017, you are an Eligible Lessee. Former lessees will be entitled to the same benefits under the Class Action Settlement regardless of whether they are classified as Eligible Lessees or Eligible Former Lessees.

So, unless it was leased from somewhere other than Porsche Finance or it was a 2 month lease, you might have to share some of your booty. And if it was leased from somewhere else, that institution was technically the owner and could make the claim as the former owner.
I had interpreted/read it incorrectly. I had thought that a person had to be either an owner or lessee on or after 09/18/2015 to be eligible but now I understand that that is not correct.

I don't care if the former lessee gets their share. It would be nice, though, if they don't sign up or register and I get their share. Either way, I'm in the sweetest 2016 CD.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Makes you wonder how a 2016 was able to be sold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you buy a 2014 Diesel.... now?