Sponsored by:

Most reliable and easy to DIY Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 12:57 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Most reliable and easy to DIY Cayenne

My ex has a 2005 Cayenne which is bulletproof.
Looking for something less than ten years old though.

Q1) Are there any major known issues (e.g. IMS) where certain years should be avoided?

Q2) Which is the more solid engine, the V6 or the V8 (S)? Obviously the V8 has more hp but in the case of Audis for example their V6s are bulletproof but their V8s crap out after 100k miles.

Q3) Overall, which MY range Cayenne is the easiest/simplest to DIY?

Q4) Since they're built in the same factory, is there any difference other than the badge between a Cayenne and a Touareg?
Old 11-27-2016, 07:35 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How new do you want to go? '11-12 cars can be had in the $40k range with decent miles. Those are the 958 version, lighter, no low range transfer case. I think all of the engine choices are reasonable reliable but all subject to the Porsche engine lottery which plagues most of the lines. IMS just happens to be one of the water cooled 911s issues.

The 2008-2010 957 models are updated over the 2005 but mechanically very similar. All V8s seem to be subject to a low rate of cylinder wall failure, it may not have even been fixed for the 958. Anyway, all great choices when you get a good one. Even the revised V6 is a viable alternative where the early ones were quite slow.

957s have lots of DIY solutions already, 958s are more sophisticated and I have no idea if they are more reliable long term or just newer, which is almost always better in a Porsche.

I am going to diy on my '08 CTT. Most of it is pretty straightforward from what I have seen. No idea on the 958s.

If you are looking for easy to work on or dead reliable, you probably shouldn't be looking at a Cayenne.

The Cayenne is the sport Touregg. The power is split 38/62 front/rear where the VW is 50/50. Interiors are different, both can be very nice, just different. Porsche gets different V8s, similar V6. Different suspension tuning, steering ratio etc.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:44 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
My ex has a 2005 Cayenne which is bulletproof.
Looking for something less than ten years old though.

Q1) Are there any major known issues (e.g. IMS) where certain years should be avoided?

Q2) Which is the more solid engine, the V6 or the V8 (S)? Obviously the V8 has more hp but in the case of Audis for example their V6s are bulletproof but their V8s crap out after 100k miles.

Q3) Overall, which MY range Cayenne is the easiest/simplest to DIY?

Q4) Since they're built in the same factory, is there any difference other than the badge between a Cayenne and a Touareg?
1. Yes
2. V6's seem to have fewer problems, but are slooow
3. It all depends. Are you willing to do things like pull an engine at home and/or buy expensive tools like Durametric Pro?
4. They share many, many parts, but they are not the same car and there are differences. You will just need to read up and research. I have not seen a definitive guide put together to detail them.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by prosled8
If you are looking for easy to work on or dead reliable, you probably shouldn't be looking at a Cayenne.
That might be the deciding point right there

Originally Posted by nodoors
3. It all depends. Are you willing to do things like pull an engine at home and/or buy expensive tools like Durametric Pro?
No. For me, DIY'ing has pretty much been limited to brake system, suspension system, cooling system, and swapping out various parts, e.g. starter
Old 11-29-2016, 08:55 AM
prosled8
Racer

That might be the deciding point right there

No. For me, DIY'ing has pretty much been limited to brake system, suspension system, cooling system, and swapping out various parts, e.g. starter

Just for example, the starter motor on the Cayenne requires removing the intake manifold. It is located in the V of the engine. DIY? Yes, quick and easy, No.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:30 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Just for example, the starter motor on the Cayenne requires removing the intake manifold. It is located in the V of the engine. DIY? Yes, quick and easy, No.
In that example it sounds like the car would be down for a while (in my case at least).
Given that any car has its' horrendous jobs, e.g. the 944 is generally straight forward to maintain but replacing the clutch on a 944...ugh - the question then becomes: is that example typical of jobs on the Cayenne?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2016, 10:53 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Reads like you are looking for the same reliability as the base 2005.
The safest option is a later model with the same base engine.

If performance is a requirement a 2012 and up V8 Cayenne would be a safe bet.

Older V8s can have issues, too numerous to list here. Use the search feature for details.

Mileage and service history will have some impact on this.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:41 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

In that example it sounds like the car would be down for a while (in my case at least).
Given that any car has its' horrendous jobs, e.g. the 944 is generally straight forward to maintain but replacing the clutch on a 944...ugh - the question then becomes: is that example typical of jobs on the Cayenne?

Thanks
Define "a while". I did pipes and T on my 955 and ended up doing the starter at the same time (old one was doing the standard "slow crank and Half a crank and stop").
Three days down, probably 20 hours of labor on my part.

It really wasn't a difficult job, except for the coolant T (huge pain), but it was "deep". Lots of stuff had to come off, lots of stuff had to go back on.

The Pelican site has good writeups on a variety of tasks. Take a look through that and see what you are getting yourself into.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:24 AM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by v10rick
If performance is a requirement a 2012 and up V8 Cayenne would be a safe bet.

Older V8s can have issues, too numerous to list here. Use the search feature for details.

Mileage and service history will have some impact on this.
All Porsche 4.5 and 4.8 V8's can have the 'the' issue no matter what year (cylinder scoring), but the smaller issues are fixed on later 4.8's. In the city I live in the local Porsche Indy just rebuilt a 2012 Panamera Turbo engine and there is a 958S for sale (cheap) with no.8 cylinder scored.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:57 PM
aftCG
Instructor

I'm finding my 2004 pig to be pretty damn easy to work on. I'm already familiar with most of it's components because we've had two Touaregs. The non air ride gas V8 pig is WAY easier to work on than our V10 TDI.

That intake manifold removal is a pretty simple job which sounds daunting. It isn't.

If the OP has done brakes and suspension and utilizes resources like the pelican articles he would be quite capable of doing tasks people throw way too much money at.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aftCG
I'm finding my 2004 pig to be pretty damn easy to work on. I'm already familiar with most of it's components because we've had two Touaregs. The non air ride gas V8 pig is WAY easier to work on than our V10 TDI.
Does a "pig" refer to a vehicle that eats a lot of gas?

I may take the plunge if a manual v8 comes up at a good price
Old 12-08-2016, 02:33 PM
aftCG
Instructor

Nah, pig is just the affectionate title applied to a Cayenne. Mine averages 16.8mpg and I'm unable to keep my foot out of it.

The only manual transmission cars I have seen come up are V6 cars or twin turbo V8 - complete opposite ends of the spectrum. I've never seen a V8 with a stick, but there are experts who may chime in to set the record straight. A twin turbo with a 6 speed would be a freak on a dirt road.

I've got enough complicated vehicles at my house thank you. Last night I finished doing a transmission filter/fluid change, oil change, bank 2 cam position sensor and evap purge solenoid. None of the work was difficult.

I've owned a ton of cars and go through them like hookers. Even though I loathe automatics, my pig is becoming my favorite car of all time. Practical, comfortable, safe and quite fast. Great audio, all wheel drive and smoking hot heated seats.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:09 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I was not aware they made a TT manual... if they did I would buy it in a heartbeat.

My understanding is the most powerful manual you can get is the GTS which has a v8.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:01 AM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by nodoors
I was not aware they made a TT manual... if they did I would buy it in a heartbeat.

My understanding is the most powerful manual you can get is the GTS which has a v8.
The following ones can be found with manual gearbox:

955 3.2 V6 Cayenne
955 4.5 V8 Cayenne S

957 3.6 V6 Cayenne
957 4.8 V8 Cayenne S
957 4.8 V8 Cayenne GTS

958.1 3.6 V6 Cayenne

All 958.2's are Automatic
Old 12-09-2016, 11:35 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 528 Posts

Thanks
Clutch replacement in a 944 is easy.

Clutch replacement in a 944 Turbo S is ugly.

Clutch replacement in a 944 Turbo S twice because you forgot to put in the new pilot bearing is priceless.

Quick Reply: Most reliable and easy to DIY Cayenne