Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To “S” or not to “S”? That is my Turbo Question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 04:37 PM
joepjoep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To “S” or not to “S”? That is my Turbo Question.

I’m window shopping, and ruminating about an upgrade to my '05 CS. I've loved it, and also known the joys of costly ownership through a short block rebuild due to scored cylinders. So I understand the maintenance costs of these P!Gs. I’m considering 2008-2011 with a preface for an ‘09/10 to keep the low range gear ratio. A 957, unless I find a well-priced 958. I wouldn’t rule out the right ’06 CTTS either, but I want something to last me another 5+ yrs.

This will be my DD plus my other toy for both autocrossing and occasional off road fun too. Priorities are in that order. So I have looked very closely at the rare Transsyberia trims I’ve seen online. I know they would be an upgrade of a few more HPs, plus the off-roading package. I don’t know if I like the look of them sticking out so much with the side graphics. And I think I really want the Turbo/S to enjoy more each and every day not just occasionally. But from what I can find online, the off road package is practically non-existent with Turbos, and the Turbo S can only use 21” wheels due to the brakes? If I have a choice, I’ll avoid the PCCBs just for cost alone, and also if that opens my options.

Based on my own off-roading experience and knfeparty’s video I know I can use any Turbo really, just add proper tires. But it’s not an “S” for that extra Porsche-good-ness

There are few points I haven’t been able to find online, or by searching here.
My questions for you guys are the followings:

I believe there is a real “turbo lag” effect which might make any Turbo a poorer choice for autocrossing than the responsive CS. I typically turn off PSM and drop to M1 at launch too. But I’ve never test driven a CTT to know first-hand yet, but is this true?

Was the off-roading package available for Turbos or for Turbo S?
If so, could it be added on by a $teelership?

If the Turbo S requires 21” rims to fit over the brake calipers, is there even an off road tire solution out there? I have two sets of wheels now, and I’ll probably will again so I’m not looking for one tire to fit all roles.

And finally, To “S” or not to “S”? That is my Turbo Question.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys got, and for the collected wisdom I've found here.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joepjoep

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys got, and for the collected wisdom I've found here.

A Cayenne can never have too much power, it's just so heavy. That being said, there is a limit to how much more it's worth paying for the extra power.

The 957 Turbo S can use 20" wheels as well.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:39 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe there is a real “turbo lag” effect which might make any Turbo a poorer choice for autocrossing than the responsive CS. I typically turn off PSM and drop to M1 at launch too. But I’ve never test driven a CTT to know first-hand yet, but is this true?
It isn't that the turbo/turbo S is less responsive, as far as I've been able to tell, just that all the extra power the turbos provide isn't available off the line. When the g-force meter finds that you are taking a corner especially spiritedly, it will hold a lower gear for a while after you complete the corner. This keeps the RPM range right and the turbos spooled up for all kinds of 747 power out of the turns. I wouldn't hesitate (no pun intended) to go for a turbo (S) and autocross it.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:00 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

The advanced off road package was available on the 955 turbo but I don't know if you could get it on the S. I almost bought an 05 turbo that had it and the factory external spare carrier. Ended up finding a pristine 06 CTTS during the search and bought the CTTS instead. This is a 5000 lb truck that is slightly faster from 0 to 60 than a Ferrari Testarossa. Its just an absolute blast to drive and a comfortable DD. But, the S may not be the best choice for serious off road because of the wheel size limitation.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:08 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Turbo S can fit 19" wheels. PCCB ('09+) can fit 20" wheels. I've seen a handful of 955 Turbos with the Advanced Off-Road Technical Package, but I haven't seen a Turbo S with it that I can recall.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:15 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The Turbo S didn't always come with the PCCB's standard. I think that was added with the 958.2.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:31 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Not to "s" unless the price is same a a non "s".
Old 09-21-2016, 08:36 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds to me that with your priority being autocrossing, maybe you should be looking for a GTS with PDCC (and perhaps PCCB as well)? Not a good choice/model for serious off-roading, but again it seems your primary goal is a good autocrossing choice. No?
Old 09-21-2016, 08:53 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

I have 19" winters on my 2006 CTTS
Old 09-22-2016, 08:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,156 Likes on 3,924 Posts

If you end up finding the right 957 except for the PCCB brakes, I'll swap you the big reds off my '09 CTTS plus some cash for them, so don't let that stop you.

Turbo S comes with PDCC standard and would be a necessity for auto-crossing IMO. Sometimes you'll come across a GTS with it too, and the 957 GTS also comes with a 6MT option, which would be fun for Auto-X too.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:30 AM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
It isn't that the turbo/turbo S is less responsive, as far as I've been able to tell, just that all the extra power the turbos provide isn't available off the line. When the g-force meter finds that you are taking a corner especially spiritedly, it will hold a lower gear for a while after you complete the corner. This keeps the RPM range right and the turbos spooled up for all kinds of 747 power out of the turns. I wouldn't hesitate (no pun intended) to go for a turbo (S) and autocross it.
That is exactly what I have observed my with my 06 CTTS. You really notice and appreciate the transmission and shift programming when you're pushing hard into and out of the corners.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Replacement cost for brakes are much higher with a Turbo S than a Turbo. If that doesn't matter to you, drive both and see if the added purchase price and maintenance is worth it. In my opinion, I couldn't justify the extra money for one, so went with a boring ol regular turbo.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:17 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m window shopping, and ruminating about an upgrade to my '05 CS. I've loved it, and also known the joys of costly ownership through a short block rebuild due to scored cylinders. So I understand the maintenance costs of these P!Gs. I’m considering 2008-2011 with a preface for an ‘09/10 to keep the low range gear ratio. A 957, unless I find a well-priced 958. I wouldn’t rule out the right ’06 CTTS either, but I want something to last me another 5+ yrs.

This will be my DD plus my other toy for both autocrossing and occasional off road fun too. Priorities are in that order. So I have looked very closely at the rare Transsyberia trims I’ve seen online. I know they would be an upgrade of a few more HPs, plus the off-roading package. I don’t know if I like the look of them sticking out so much with the side graphics. And I think I really want the Turbo/S to enjoy more each and every day not just occasionally. But from what I can find online, the off road package is practically non-existent with Turbos, and the Turbo S can only use 21” wheels due to the brakes? If I have a choice, I’ll avoid the PCCBs just for cost alone, and also if that opens my options.

Based on my own off-roading experience and knfeparty’s video I know I can use any Turbo really, just add proper tires. But it’s not an “S” for that extra Porsche-good-ness

There are few points I haven’t been able to find online, or by searching here.
My questions for you guys are the followings:

Was the off-roading package available for Turbos or for Turbo S?
If so, could it be added on by a $teelership?

If the Turbo S requires 21” rims to fit over the brake calipers, is there even an off road tire solution out there? I have two sets of wheels now, and I’ll probably will again so I’m not looking for one tire to fit all roles.

Every turbo has lag, except for maybe some of the modern ones with secondary small turbos or electric spool pumps. There's just no way around the fact that a turbo at rest needs to be spun up to produce boost. Once it's spun up, of course, then there is no lag. So, off the line, you can brake boost a bit, and throttle response after that should be pretty equal to the CS since the turbos are already humming.

I would skip the off-road package on the 955. Get some AT tires and drop the pressure a bit. You can get more articulation with the hydraulic sways, but you'd need to be in some serious rock crawling situations. Situations where you should expect to be taking damage. We've had our CTT in some pretty serious off roading here in Colorado, and haven't had much issue getting around on street tires.

On the 957 and 958, the hydraulic sways are also the PDCC system. So, I would say it's worth it at that point.

I don't think it's worth it for a Turbo S if you happen to find a good Turbo. Sure, more power is great, but I think they're rare enough that finding one with the history, options, and price point you want can be tough. Plus, you'll want the option of 18" wheels if you plan on doing any serious off roading. I believe the 2008 Turbo can fit 18" wheels, but you need 19" after that. Someone has already covered the wheel sizes for the Turbo S.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:32 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree with Car Guy. If you are going to autocross consider the 957 GTS.

From autoevolution...

The Porsche Cayenne GTS represents the first time in over 10 years that the "GTS" nameplate has been used by Porsche. Technically a Cayenne for the track, the GTS is based on the S model, with improved suspension, brakes and more horsepower. Porsche themselves have said that the GTS model handles better than the much more powerful Turbo and Turbo S Cayennes.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:51 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
I agree with Car Guy. If you are going to autocross consider the 957 GTS.

From autoevolution...

The Porsche Cayenne GTS represents the first time in over 10 years that the "GTS" nameplate has been used by Porsche. Technically a Cayenne for the track, the GTS is based on the S model, with improved suspension, brakes and more horsepower. Porsche themselves have said that the GTS model handles better than the much more powerful Turbo and Turbo S Cayennes.
The only "improvement" made to the brakes was Guards Red paint.

Quick Reply: To “S” or not to “S”? That is my Turbo Question.