Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To “S” or not to “S”? That is my Turbo Question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:54 AM
joepjoep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
It isn't that the turbo/turbo S is less responsive, as far as I've been able to tell, just that all the extra power the turbos provide isn't available off the line. When the g-force meter finds that you are taking a corner especially spiritedly, it will hold a lower gear for a while after you complete the corner. This keeps the RPM range right and the turbos spooled up for all kinds of 747 power out of the turns. I wouldn't hesitate (no pun intended) to go for a turbo (S) and autocross it.
Very good to know, thanks! In a way I like not having the nannies to help, but then if it gets me a few secs less too...

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
The Turbo S can fit 19" wheels. PCCB ('09+) can fit 20" wheels. I've seen a handful of 955 Turbos with the Advanced Off-Road Technical Package, but I haven't seen a Turbo S with it that I can recall.
So the 2009+ can fit the 19" wheels? I know a 955 can, but that's what I may be replacing. I currently have a 18" AT set & 20" for street.

Originally Posted by Petza914
If you end up finding the right 957 except for the PCCB brakes, I'll swap you the big reds off my '09 CTTS plus some cash for them, so don't let that stop you.

Turbo S comes with PDCC standard and would be a necessity for auto-crossing IMO. Sometimes you'll come across a GTS with it too, and the 957 GTS also comes with a 6MT option, which would be fun for Auto-X too.
Thanks for the offer! I know there's a good aftermarket to trade them but I hadn't considered the angle. So swapping the PCCBs isn't a very big deal? Can they be added to any truck later? (I don't want too, just curious)

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Every turbo has lag, ... So, off the line, you can brake boost a bit, and throttle response after that should be pretty equal to the CS since the turbos are already humming.

I would skip the off-road package on the 955. Get some AT tires and drop the pressure a bit. You can get more articulation with the hydraulic sways, but you'd need to be in some serious rock crawling situations. Situations where you should expect to be taking damage. We've had our CTT in some pretty serious off roading here in Colorado, and haven't had much issue getting around on street tires.

On the 957 and 958, the hydraulic sways are also the PDCC system. So, I would say it's worth it at that point.

I don't think it's worth it for a Turbo S if you happen to find a good Turbo. Sure, more power is great, but I think they're rare enough that finding one with the history, options, and price point you want can be tough. Plus, you'll want the option of 18" wheels if you plan on doing any serious off roading. I believe the 2008 Turbo can fit 18" wheels, but you need 19" after that. Someone has already covered the wheel sizes for the Turbo S.
WP, I appreciate the sage advice. This is exactly what I've done with my 955 today and I'm pretty happy with it, but I wish I had more confidence, if not capability, in it to go deeper off-road. Sounds like a Turbo is the way to go for autox with no worries. Hmm, so I could keep my 18" wheels for a 2008... And I hear what you & the others are saying about the costs involved with the TTS. I have some soul & wallet searching to do on that point.

Originally Posted by v10rick
I agree with Car Guy. If you are going to autocross consider the 957 GTS.

From autoevolution...

The Porsche Cayenne GTS represents the first time in over 10 years that the "GTS" nameplate has been used by Porsche. Technically a Cayenne for the track, the GTS is based on the S model, with improved suspension, brakes and more horsepower. Porsche themselves have said that the GTS model handles better than the much more powerful Turbo and Turbo S Cayennes.
While I don't doubt it, I doubt it. I suspect they're trying to create a marketing buzz for the niche trim. A GTS would be better than an S, but not enough of an upgrade to get me to bite. Otherwise I'd be cone killing in a Transsyberia today.

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
The only "improvement" made to the brakes was Guards Red paint.
Shout it out brother!

Much appreciated everyone! I know a local fab shop who would work with me to construct some under armor if I can't find the PB1-4 type option for a 957. As stated above, after DDing, my priority is more autocross than off-road, but because the options for off-roading are so rare, I'm more focused on finding those. Since this is going to be compromise of competing capabilities (giggly fast & rock crawling) I know I'll need to settle somewhere in-between. ATM I know I always have that gut feeling of why didn't he get the TTS if I don't. Still, I'd like to have the option to drive up a mountain or two... bth the off-roading ambitions are not real rock crawling, but more like mud/dirt fire roads, steep inclines etc.

So here's what I gather are the things I'm looking for...

Must haves:
PDCC
PASM
Beige interior
Not-a-project (I'm not a great wrencher atm)

Wants:
CTTS
18/19" wheel options
Offroad package
Sports Package
non-panno
non-PCCB (but per Pteza this ins't going to be a determining factor)
ACC w/active safe
PTV+
morrisdl's Android radio
Entry and Drive

Unicorn wishes (957):
1Y1 Rear differential lock in addition to central differential lock
3L4 Driver memory package
6EB Additional body covers, stone guards and partial cover
7T3 Offroad navigation, with course calculator showing latitude and longitude + compass display
8WU Roof-mounted lights
9TF Courtesy entry and exit lights
L0R Right-hand drive version
PT3 Off-road Technology package: el.variable rear diff.lock, rock rails, reinforced engine bay guard, additional protection for fuel tank and rear axle, second towing lug + side running boards

If/when I start to focus in on any specific vehicles I'll dig more into the issues around them.

Last edited by joepjoep; 09-23-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joepjoep
So the 2009+ can fit the 19" wheels? I know a 955 can, but that's what I may be replacing. I currently have a 18" AT set & 20" for street.
Yes, 2009+ without PCCB can fit 19" wheels.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:09 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

One thing to note, if your goal is a 957 gen, then PTV wasn't available on the 955/957 gen vehicles. That option was offered with the intro of the 958s. I mention this because I noticed it was on your list of "must haves".
Old 09-23-2016, 01:04 AM
nychase
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Also to note....no bumester if 957....your stuck with the blowz. From what I can tell some of your wishes are quite achievable with a 957 Turbo S....some are never going to happen. For instance, in a year of looking at every single 2009 Turbo S I have only seen one sand beige interior. Mostly this is because the Turbo S was often fitted with the GTS sport seats (available as option on regular Turbo) and almost always they had Suede inserts. Just to make things more messy the 2009 CTTS also had two exclusive interior two-tones, black/havana beige and black/stone grey. It makes what Petza and I have very, very hard to find (full black leather).

The good news is that some of the other options your requesting are typically found on most CTTS's just because they were options everyone wanted (entry and drive).

Look at this which was just listed a few days ago. Price should probably be 35k just to give you a range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Caye...m=182287759489

Lava grey was exclusive to Turbo S, No Pano, sport seats (hard to tell if full leather or suede and build says full), exterior black package (would be HAPPY to swap trims and pay for the swap if you wanted silver),entry and drive, bluetooth, 4 zone AC (super important if you want to have different fan settings from your always cold wife!) and after market rear entertainment which is worlds better than the OEM option (google it).

Just thought I'd throw that out there and help your window shopping to understand what you will likely find in a 957 CTTS.

Oh, and its worth mentioning 575hp (I also have tubi exhaust which is sick sounding) in this beast is like nothing you've ever felt. It really does throw you in your seat sometimes when you catch the gears and boost just right.

Last edited by nychase; 09-23-2016 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-23-2016, 09:40 AM
joepjoep
Intermediate

Thanks guys for pointing those things out. I'll admit a couple of items here were scrapped from reading previous posts, and as you can see I'm still learning what options were available with each. I'm OK with the "Blowz" as its whats in my 055 and frankly I don't care too much about it. PTV sounds very interesting, but good to know. It will drop off the list then.

I've seen a few beige interiors, but yes they are very rare. I didn't know why until now, so thank you again for that.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:31 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only commonality between a 957 Turbo and 958 Turbo is the engine. Everything else is different. They're completely different SUV's. Honestly, if you're flush enough to afford a 958 Turbo, even a lightly optioned one, there is no reason to look at a 957 Turbo.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:08 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Honestly, if you're flush enough to afford a 958 Turbo, even a lightly optioned one, there is no reason to look at a 957 Turbo.
Except that they look better
Old 09-23-2016, 03:27 PM
joepjoep
Intermediate

that and 957s are cheaper across the board. I'm not that flush.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:35 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

If your priority is auto-x, spend a few grand and buy a miata. Seriously.

Yes, you can auto-x a Cayenne but why would you want to? It's an SUV, not a sports car. A cheap miata will be SO much better of an auto-xr its not even funny.

Then you can have your Cayenne do what it was built to do, which is be a great DD, off roader, snow machine.

Can't fit smaller than 19" on the CTTS, so that makes off road tires a bit of an issue. I do like the additional power and if you can find the right one they're not a whole lot more money than the regular CTT...
Old 09-23-2016, 03:56 PM
joepjoep
Intermediate

Yeah, I know I could go much faster in miata, or my boxtser too for that matter. But that's not the point of a challenge now is it?

Old 09-23-2016, 03:57 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
If your priority is auto-x, spend a few grand and buy a miata. Seriously.
Miata? Might be a good auto-x car but this is a Porsche forum.. why not a Boxster S? Earlier models can be found under $6k.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:22 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

To my knowledge, the miata doesn't suffer from IMS, RMS, AOS or cylinder wall chunking issues.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 PM
joepjoep
Intermediate

Now this is an interesting truck: https://cargur.us/c092n

Perhaps a few too many miles for my taste, and not enough unicorn wishes, but its by no means 'done' either. What has me scratching my head is the Engine Issue listed on the Vindercoderz site: http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-...AC29P18LA92896

Does this truck have a new motor installed? If that's the case this suddenly becomes a very intriguing vehicle for the price.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:22 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

That looks like a nice 957 CTT at a decent price. Reminds me of the one I had, with the chestnut brown/black interior, great looking combo. Yeah the miles might be a little high, but actually not outrageous for an 08 (9 years old now).

I see what you mean about the entry regarding the engine. That is a known problem with some of the 957 CTTs. It's plagued a few 957 CTTs I've seen mentioned here and in other places, although in the grand scheme still doesn't seem very prevalent. What's not clear from the entry in the VIN decoder database is what was done about it once the problem occurred on this vehicle?

Last edited by CarGuyNVA; 09-29-2016 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spell correction
Old 09-29-2016, 02:57 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by joepjoep
Now this is an interesting truck: https://cargur.us/c092n

Perhaps a few too many miles for my taste, and not enough unicorn wishes, but its by no means 'done' either. What has me scratching my head is the Engine Issue listed on the Vindercoderz site: http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-...AC29P18LA92896

Does this truck have a new motor installed? If that's the case this suddenly becomes a very intriguing vehicle for the price.
Love the interior color scheme. I'd be asking all kinds of questions about its service history. The miles wouldn't make me think twice, depending on what's been done vs. what's been deferred.
The price is about right.

Quick Reply: To “S” or not to “S”? That is my Turbo Question.