Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Replacement as a Preventive Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:27 PM
sswong98
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Replacement as a Preventive Maintenance?

Hi All,

I have a 2006 Cayenne S, 4.5 V8 with about 185K miles. As I lurk on this forum, I have a concern/fear my fuel pump will go out at any time.

I was wondering should I replace as a preventive maintenance since this is the original fuel pump? Wondering how many of you with the same or more miles on their original fuel pump?

I welcome any comments
Old 09-21-2016, 02:23 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are two pumps. So, if one fails, you can usually pull that fuse and the other one can get you home. That said, there are usually symptoms of a pump failing before it really bites the dust. Because of this, I don't really consider it preventative maintenance. The only parts I really consider replacing preventatively are ones that a failure will leave me stranded, or could cause substantial damage to other things. The fuel pump doesn't meet either of those.

It's pretty common for a pump to go over 200K miles. So, I don't consider your mileage to be extraordinary.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:39 AM
kjbu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my pumps before they broke down. Sold the working ones to another owner with broken pumps :-) Win-Win-solution for you and buyer.

I recommend this to others as well
Old 09-22-2016, 01:20 PM
sswong98
Intermediate

Wow...I appreciate the two different opinions. The prices for the pumps and other parts have come down in price and R&R is straight forward. For peace of mind, I'll probably replace my pumps.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post
Old 09-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Orantes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could I just suggest that you do the "relay pull" and see if both pumps are actually working before replacing them? I found that one of my pumps was non-functioning however I had no particular symptoms, just thought I'd check them out.

Having one pump already dead is obviously a stronger case for changing them both out because the next failure will leave you stranded. You should also change the regulator and the fuel filter at the same time as they are all connected. There are lots of write-ups and even good Youtube videos. It is a messy and unpleasant job that I would delay as long as possible!
Old 09-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
There are two pumps. So, if one fails, you can usually pull that fuse and the other one can get you home. That said, there are usually symptoms of a pump failing before it really bites the dust. Because of this, I don't really consider it preventative maintenance. The only parts I really consider replacing preventatively are ones that a failure will leave me stranded, or could cause substantial damage to other things. The fuel pump doesn't meet either of those.

It's pretty common for a pump to go over 200K miles. So, I don't consider your mileage to be extraordinary.
Out of curiosity what are the symptoms?
Old 09-23-2016, 01:13 PM
sswong98
Intermediate

Hello All,

Thanks all for responding to my post.

There is no symptoms. My Cayenne is running fine. I am religious about maintaining my cars, and like to do preventive maintenance. As I lurk around forums, I noticed many threads around the fuel pumps failing. I was wondering if fuel pump(s) failure are inevitable on the Cayenne.

I just wanted to get opinions from the fine folks on the forum
Old 09-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sswong98
Hello All,

Thanks all for responding to my post.

There is no symptoms. My Cayenne is running fine. I am religious about maintaining my cars, and like to do preventive maintenance. As I lurk around forums, I noticed many threads around the fuel pumps failing. I was wondering if fuel pump(s) failure are inevitable on the Cayenne.

I just wanted to get opinions from the fine folks on the forum
I very much share your philosophy however in this instance there is already redundancy built into the system (back up pump) so if you check both pumps are functioning as part of your maintenence routine you already have a short term solution to get you out of a bind in the event one fails
Old 09-23-2016, 02:15 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Actually BOTH fuel pumps are neccesary not only for correct fuel delivery in all conditions but also for proper emptying of the "saddle type" fuel tank.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:26 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

True - but you can get home on one. You won't have enough flow for WOT, but it'll drive if there's enough fuel in there.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:47 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Parts are cheap enough to change both pumps, regulator and filter every 100,000 miles.
You won't need to worry about them for another decade.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone using Touareg fuel pumps to save money? I was told they are the same and dont know how true this is?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Knowtorious RTG
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am currently smelling fuel from the back left tire of the truck. I took was getting my routine oil change at a local shop and they stated that there was a leak from the tank. I was able to go underneath and view a stream of gas dribbling from somewhere on top of the tank.

Checking on this site, I am pretty sure that it's the fuel pump seal or fuel pump that is having leaking. Is there any good recommendations to get this done some where in DFW metroplex? I am pretty handy with the tools and usually do my own work, but never done any fuel work.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:36 PM
rpansing
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the fuel leak from the top of the tank in my 2006 S. It wasn't the fuel pump, it was the fuel filter. Once you cut the access hole in the carpet under the back seat, it's really not a difficult job to replace the filter. It makes it easier if the gas tank is not full to the brim like mine was. I've seen posts on this forum that show pictures of the cracked housing on the fuel filter. It seems to be a common problem once you get past 100K miles. Make sure you disconnect the battery, open all of the doors and windows for ventilation.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement as a Preventive Maintenance?