Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Porsche Turbo 181k $3500 Deal or Money pit?

Old 09-21-2016, 10:32 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not so sure parting out this car is really worth it. The inter webs are littered with used parts. I think parting out more common cars (audi, VW) makes sense, but I think there are enough Porsche people that would prefer to buy new, combined with the shear number of scrap Cayennes/Tregs out there it's just not a viable business.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:42 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
I'm not so sure parting out this car is really worth it. The inter webs are littered with used parts. I think parting out more common cars (audi, VW) makes sense, but I think there are enough Porsche people that would prefer to buy new, combined with the shear number of scrap Cayennes/Tregs out there it's just not a viable business.
For $3500 I would take the chance. I have parted a few Pcars in my time and have always done well on them. It all depends on how much effort you put forth.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:26 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

I guess. I've parted a few Audi's, and it was not worth the time/effort. I guess it depends on what you value your time at, though.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:28 PM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive decided to pass on this Porsche. I think even if the guy gave it to me for free. It would be too much of a headache it appears. Wrinkled Pants, have you ever considered writing greeting cards on the side? :0)
Old 09-21-2016, 03:08 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

^^ Good move on that car. The money pit answer I think was there the whole time.

While I didn't take WP's advice on buying my CTT, he's probably the most knowledgeable guy on here and pairs that with a very cheery, optimistic outlook!
Old 09-21-2016, 08:04 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
This car is easily worth double in parts. If I had more room in my garage I would part this thing out for some easy money.
No kidding...for ~$3,000 I'd first run it into the ground all for the fun of it and then part it or sell it for scrap metal value.
One weekend I'd be doing a track day and the next weekend I'd head off to Attica Badlands to try some off roading.
Rare deals like that are why I keep a bit of fun cash in a safe.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:07 PM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please do not tempt me! I was considering picking it up from my wife said she only drives about 5 to 10 miles a day. She probably doesn't put any more than 100 miles on her car a month. But we need an SUV that's capable of dealing with the snow. So I have a ready stop considering this but I do admit, with the cheap price I'm
Old 09-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

It will only be "cheap" until the first thing breaks.

Murphy dictates that it won't be convenient. Or simple. Or cheap.

19psi's post takes that into account. He would use it as a disposable toy until it broke, then part it out and scrap it.

Unless your wife is willing have it break down on the side of the road, and then walk the couple miles to work or back home, I wouldn't put her in this car. Many of the guys on here have wives that are understanding and tolerant of our "quirks" regarding these cars. I doubt any are that tolerant.

Personally, I wouldn't put a wife/GF in a car that wasn't fully sorted out.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:44 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeramosjr
Please do not tempt me! I was considering picking it up from my wife said she only drives about 5 to 10 miles a day. She probably doesn't put any more than 100 miles on her car a month. But we need an SUV that's capable of dealing with the snow. So I have a ready stop considering this but I do admit, with the cheap price I'm
For your wife to use as a reliable car...NO!
Old 09-21-2016, 09:48 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
No kidding...for ~$3,000 I'd first run it into the ground all for the fun of it and then part it or sell it for scrap metal value.
One weekend I'd be doing a track day and the next weekend I'd head off to Attica Badlands to try some off roading.
Rare deals like that are why I keep a bit of fun cash in a safe.
I know! I could have some fun with this cheap beast and then its part out time.

This turbo is at best a parts car. Anyone who buys this and thinks it will be a reliable car is delusional.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:08 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Wrinkled Pants sometimes comes across as a bit blunt, but he really knows these cars.
What? I'm a bowl of sunshine!

I don't have much patience for people that post the "thinking of a cayenne, what are the pain points, things I should look for" type questions when it's asked and answered an a near routine basis. It's like they're too lazy to click back through a few threads. Otherwise, a complete list of things to "look for" would take several paragraphs to cover.

Maybe at some point I'll write up a buyers guide.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
What? I'm a bowl of sunshine!

I don't have much patience for people that post the "thinking of a cayenne, what are the pain points, things I should look for" type questions when it's asked and answered an a near routine basis. It's like they're too lazy to click back through a few threads. Otherwise, a complete list of things to "look for" would take several paragraphs to cover.

Maybe at some point I'll write up a buyers guide.
You already have. It's just spread out across a few different threads.

Most of them are titled something like:

"thinking of a cayenne, what are the pain points, things I should look for"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Porsche Turbo 181k $3500 Deal or Money pit?