2010 Base Cayenne (Type 9PA) General Electrical System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2010 Base Cayenne (Type 9PA) General Electrical System Questions

Folks,

Furthering our family involvement with Porsche, ('86 Carrera Coupe, '88 944 and a '08 Cayman S) we have recently added a well optioned 2010 CPO Base Cayenne (Type 9PA) to the fold. Having found much published information on maintaining our other Porsches, the pickings DO appear to be pretty slim on the Cayenne (and the Cayman for that matter) from an electrical system standpoint.

With more and MORE stuff being controlled by computers I have a few questions about the electrical system on our 'New to Us' Cayenne. My ignorance of such things may show through the questions I have but here I go:

1) Has anyone mapped out the count, names and locations (within the car body) of the various 'Control Modules' the Type 9PA Cayenne may have? Given the myriad of options that were available in 2010, if there was ever an 'open ended' question this is it!

2) Does the 2010 Cayenne make use of the CAN Bus for communication between its 'Control Modules'? If so, does it use the 'Low' or 'High' speed version of ISO 11898 and does it use the 'Standard' or 'Extended' message framing format?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide AND for any pointers to material that might cover or, at least, shed more light on these questions. Porsche (and other automobile manufactures as well) seem to be holding this type of info closer and closer 'to chest' which makes things that more difficult for those of us that would like to fix a few things in the driveway...

Barry
Old 08-09-2016, 07:37 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Folks,

I found some information that stated that all new autos sold in the U.S. from 2008 on (although many manufacturers implemented it earlier) are required to use the Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus so that looks like I've answered part of my second question above.

Further poking around on the net found this link to a 'Primer' on the CAN Bus, its usage and the communications protocol it uses:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/autom...kiril-mucevski

This looks like a GREAT find and has the added benefit of apparently being authored by no less than a Porsche Service Advisor, albeit in Macedonia! Wow, that's a LONG ways away but 'information is information' and the dealer DOES exist.

As a former Software Engineer (DEC, IBM and Intel platforms) that also regularly dealt with various digital communication protocols and their ilk, the 'Primer' looks like the real thing to me and makes sense from past experience. Good reading anyway!

Still trying to find someone on the forum that might be able to chime in on the CAN Bus in general and on the subject of what Control Modules the 2010 Cayenne has.

Thanks!

Barry

Last edited by Barry A. Waters; 08-09-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Base Cayenne (Type 9PA) General Electrical System Questions