Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I got the siezed cardan shaft off the Cryenne :)

Old 05-21-2016, 05:40 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I got the siezed cardan shaft off the Cryenne :)

Finally got around to switching out my cardan shaft today. On the V6 the job is cake, literally would take me 30 minutes start to finish if I had to do it again, but getting the shaft to release from the rear end was a nightmare. I searched all the forums and found people that said you tap this, pry that and while that may work with some it definitely wouldn't have worked with mine. Then I saw the bearing puller which was a good idea but I didn't feel like going to the store so what to do. Well I put the front of the shaft back on the tranny and tightened a couple bolts then jumped in the car and threw it in gear and brake torqued her a couple times in both D and R, "pop" she came right off I know this probably isn't the most recommended thing to do but for us lazy folks it worked perfect lol.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:27 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cfiiman
Finally got around to switching out my cardan shaft today. On the V6 the job is cake, literally would take me 30 minutes start to finish if I had to do it again, but getting the shaft to release from the rear end was a nightmare. I searched all the forums and found people that said you tap this, pry that and while that may work with some it definitely wouldn't have worked with mine. Then I saw the bearing puller which was a good idea but I didn't feel like going to the store so what to do. Well I put the front of the shaft back on the tranny and tightened a couple bolts then jumped in the car and threw it in gear and brake torqued her a couple times in both D and R, "pop" she came right off I know this probably isn't the most recommended thing to do but for us lazy folks it worked perfect lol.
Another one is the seized rim on the hub. Loosen all the bolts about a mm. Do a figure eight in the parking lot (or less) and Ta da! rim is off the hub!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Nacho82
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the same method as you to remove the frozen on shaft when I changed mine out. I believe it was a suggestion I saw posted over at renntech. Just like you, I had already unbolted the front, so I had to put it back together before getting the rear off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How I got the siezed cardan shaft off the Cryenne :)