Sponsored by:

Dog in Cayenne, redux

Old 04-20-2016, 03:11 PM
2002sheds
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dog in Cayenne, redux

Hi,
I received exactly one response to my post(s) about a coolant leak (thanks, Wisconsin Joe!). I finally solved it myself.

This time I am writing in with a totally different topic -- dogs...

Since recently buying our New To Us 2008 Cayenne, our 17 year old foreign exchange student has begged us to keep our 2 year old, 65 pound mix of Lab, Boxer and just plain nuttiness out of the vehicle, so as not to sully the car's pristine interior (the PO kept the car in immaculate condition).
Of course, I would prefer to bring my buddy along, but I am reluctant to have him ride only in the back of the car, and yet I am concerned about what his claws will do to the interior, and would prefer to preserve its condition.
I have read a bunch of posts about dogs and Porsches, and have seen the reaction from both crowds, but I don't recall an answer to my specific question. Are there solutions out there that allow my dog to ride up front, but still be contained enough (or the passenger compartment be protected enough) so as not to trash the car?
Old 04-20-2016, 03:54 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002sheds
Hi,
I received exactly one response to my post(s) about a coolant leak (thanks, Wisconsin Joe!). I finally solved it myself.

This time I am writing in with a totally different topic -- dogs...

Since recently buying our New To Us 2008 Cayenne, our 17 year old foreign exchange student has begged us to keep our 2 year old, 65 pound mix of Lab, Boxer and just plain nuttiness out of the vehicle, so as not to sully the car's pristine interior (the PO kept the car in immaculate condition).
Of course, I would prefer to bring my buddy along, but I am reluctant to have him ride only in the back of the car, and yet I am concerned about what his claws will do to the interior, and would prefer to preserve its condition.
I have read a bunch of posts about dogs and Porsches, and have seen the reaction from both crowds, but I don't recall an answer to my specific question. Are there solutions out there that allow my dog to ride up front, but still be contained enough (or the passenger compartment be protected enough) so as not to trash the car?
http://www.bowsers.com/outdoor-trave...cover-ash.html
Old 04-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I use one of the hammock covers in the back seat along with a safety harness so my Golden Retriever can move around but still be safe. There are lots of differing qualities so get whatever you feel comfortable with.

Amazon.com : Solvit 62314 Waterproof Hammock Seat Cover for Pets : Pet Bed Covers : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Solvit 62314 Waterproof Hammock Seat Cover for Pets : Pet Bed Covers : Pet Supplies

When I bought the car it looked like the PO had a dog or rough kids in the back seat as there were a couple tears in them when I inspected the car. The dealer took care of them and you'd never know there was any previous damage. I'm hoping to keep it that way.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:57 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

When we are traveling with a lot of cargo, my 85lb lab would ride on a 'doggy hammock' in the back seat.
It attaches between the 4 headrests and keeps the dog from inadvertently clawing up the seats, as well as keeps her off the floor. Drool still happens on the center console, and the hair finds its way around. At the end of the day, a Cayenne is just another SUV to be used as an SUV.

These are sold everywhere:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 04-20-2016, 04:07 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Hey David,

I have a 96 lb Yellow Lab, and I use a combination of two products to protect the rear space interior.
I have a 2012 CTT. Picture below shows the two together...

1) I use a Weathertech rubber mat for the rear section (helps capture water that drips off my kiteboarding gear when I come off the water. It is great when the back seats are in upright position, but is also fine when I fold the rear seats down.

2) Then I also use a vinyl cargo cover underneath the Weathertech. I bought it off eBay. It has velcro between the 60/40 split, which is great when you have 2 extra people with you & one needs a back seat to sit in. And to protect the rear seat headrests when the rear seats are in the down position (you can see them below in my pic), I usually put a heavy rolled moving blanket along the headrests & wedge against the back of the front seats (for long trips). That way if my dog decides to stand with his front paws up along that front edge, he does not slip down into those gaps, nor have his nails cut the leather on the headrests. You could even combine this setup with the doggie hammocks too, so you have a choice when the dog has the entire back seat, or just the far back in-combo with some of the 60/40 space.

Here is a link to similar one for your 2008..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vehicle-Cust...xTutgk&vxp=mtr

Picture:

Hope this helps,
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 04-20-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:10 PM
2002sheds
Instructor

These are great ideas -- thanks! Both involve the back seat. It sounds practical... any ideas for a front seat setup? I like the safety harness idea. Maybe it would keep our dog from trying to launch himself through the windshield at every squirell...

And any ideas about claws on the doors?
Old 04-20-2016, 04:12 PM
2002sheds
Instructor

Hi Steve, that is cool ! Is there a way to keep your dog from clawing the door panels?
Old 04-20-2016, 04:19 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Hi Steve, that is cool ! Is there a way to keep your dog from clawing the door panels?
Hmmm, we have a tall Lab where his shoulders stand 26" tall,... so he only ever stands with his head at the windows, trying to catch some air in his jowls. So he has never attempted to put his paws on the doors or arm rests back there. Sorry I don't have that problem.

But if you were using the hammock with the back seats upright,.. then maybe you could get some simple rigid plastic sheet from home depot and cut it to fit, and let it stand vertical along the rear door sill, and have it be tall enough to reach the bottom of the windows. That way the dog could not even touch the door panels. Just an idea. But somehow you are going to need to protect the entire door panel.

And even though I never let my Lab up in the front seat (he would try to sit in my lap while I'm driving!!),... I do have a set of neoprene seat covers (CoverKing custom fit), that I use again for when I am at the beach, and have a wetsuit or wet bathing suit & do NOT want any sand getting down in all those little A/C holes. Those could protect the seat leather,.. but you'll still have the door panel issue.

Glad to see you are willing to spend a bit of cash to keep your best buddy along for the ride!!!
=Steve
Old 04-20-2016, 04:25 PM
rbaron
Racer

These are great ideas -- thanks! Both involve the back seat. It sounds practical... any ideas for a front seat setup?
I'm by no means a big dog expert - we've been breeding and showing Cavaliers for 20 years now and our dogs always travel in hard plastic crates / kennels seat belted in to the BACK seat. Aside from the extremely obvious safety issue of a dog being able to physically roam and interact with a driver, if a dog is in the front passenger seat (in a crate or otherwise) and the passenger side airbag inflates that will most likely kill the dog.

It has happened and it is not a risk we are willing to take.

--Bob
Old 04-20-2016, 04:47 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my dog but there is no way she is sitting in the front seat. My dog wouldnt know the difference between any of the spots.. So its the back back for convenience. She is just happy to be tagging along. There is no way my palm green leather doors are getting scratches... sorry pup. I'm mulling getting an supercharged S55 amg and so the hammock would be perfect for that tho.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:20 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

These are great ideas -- thanks! Both involve the back seat. It sounds practical... any ideas for a front seat setup? I like the safety harness idea. Maybe it would keep our dog from trying to launch himself through the windshield at every squirell...

And any ideas about claws on the doors?
I wouldn't use this but since you are looking for front seat solutions...

http://www.bowsers.com/ca/outdoor-tr...r-hickory.html
Old 04-20-2016, 06:36 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door Protection

We bought a '16 GTS a few months back and researched how our flat-coat retriever/chow mix (85 lbs) could travel with us (moving out of a 05 4Runner). She's used to the back seat, so we went with the hammock option plus the memory foam footwell fillers as she likes to move around and don't want to put too much strain on the front headrest straps.

I ended up buying the pieces from Orvis, and they also have these door protectors:

http://www.orvis.com/p/interior-car-...rotectors/2ecs

I read a bunch of reviews and they work fair - the issue being that they have 3 plastic "tines" that slide down into the window channel. When the window is up, they are fine, and likely will be OK is the window is down (or mostly down), but come out of the channel if you raise the window after inserting the "tines". That's a bit of issue for us as we travel on and off the highway and Bella likes to stick her head out when on surface streets but I won't put up with a roaring open window while cruising on the highway. I've only used them 3-4 times so far and basically kept the windows up, but am thinking I might be able to work something with Velcro strips to hold them in place without using the "tines". For $30, I figure they're something to start with and experiment.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:17 PM
2002sheds
Instructor

Default Dogs going places

Wow, thanks for so many great suggestions! It seems from the responses so far that most people will allow their dog in the back seat, and use a hammock-type device. Our knucklehead may just go for it (ride in the back seat), just in order to come along

I have been taking our older (2001) Dodge Dakota on errands just so our dog Elvis can ride with me and our son. The Cayenne, of course, is a MUCH more fun vehicle to drive, but I have been lacking as far as ways to both preserve this nice car and let my buddy ride along.

All of the other dogs we've had would just cower in the back, waiting for the ride to be over. This guy is looking at everything, and definitely loves to hang his head out of the window when he can. I am so happy to receive so many great answers. Thanks again !
Old 04-21-2016, 12:38 AM
2002sheds
Instructor

Originally Posted by rbaron
I'm by no means a big dog expert - we've been breeding and showing Cavaliers for 20 years now and our dogs always travel in hard plastic crates / kennels seat belted in to the BACK seat. Aside from the extremely obvious safety issue of a dog being able to physically roam and interact with a driver, if a dog is in the front passenger seat (in a crate or otherwise) and the passenger side airbag inflates that will most likely kill the dog.

It has happened and it is not a risk we are willing to take.

--Bob
Hi Bob,
Such a great point. No more riding in the front for this guy...
Old 04-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Different car, but I just toss down blankets. Same with the Cayenne. Then again, I do love my dogs even more than my P-cars.
Name:  photo981.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  1.15 MB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dog in Cayenne, redux