Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Old 06-01-2016, 01:10 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by morrisdl
Sorry, I have never loaded any of my mp3s on it. I have youtube red, amazon prime, slacker radio, IHeartRadio, and TED apps; they all allow for offline playback.
Do the steering wheel controls work well for you with the other apps? I didn't have good luck with that, but I may need to tweak things.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! I think I got a hold of most things.

I am just looking for a better dialer app, and music app. I am also looking for a better launcher that looks classy. I'll report back if I find anything.

Apart for that the unit is functional except for the GPS.

I have emailed Seicane three times already, and no reply on the GPS problem. When I called them they asked me to email. I hope they reply back and let me know what to do.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:57 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara

I am just looking for a better dialer app, and music app. I am also looking for a better launcher that looks classy. I'll report back if I find anything.

Apart for that the unit is functional except for the GPS.

I have emailed Seicane three times already, and no reply on the GPS problem. When I called them they asked me to email. I hope they reply back and let me know what to do.
That's weird about the GPS. Does the GPS signal app show any bars? Maybe its a bad antenna?

For launcher, I recommend Nova. I love the gestures and customization, and its what I use on current phone. The only catch is that the dock is on the right side of the screen as opposed to the bottom because its landscape mode. With only a couple screens, its not a big deal because you can just put the same icons in the bottom row. Google's launcher is supposedly very nice and fast but I never tried it.

I am also trying to find a better dialer app. We may have to dig into XDA forums where they talk about the android head units to see if that community came up with anything.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:16 PM
hgupta
Instructor

I am out of town, but found this.

maybe that will work?
Old 06-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Originally Posted by hgupta
I am out of town, but found this.

maybe that will work?
Yea I saw that! You need an Android phone for that! I don't have one trying to see the parrot asteroid community has anything.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:17 AM
Shark1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just order my. I hope everything goes well for myself
Old 06-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Seicane got in touch with me and said they were gonna send a replacement GPS antenna and rear view camera cables.

Did anyone else buy the rear view camera? How did you wire it? The middle section has like 4 wire apart from the RCA and a small plastic box. Any one know what exactly this is?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:07 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Yea I saw that! You need an Android phone for that! I don't have one trying to see the parrot asteroid community has anything.
There is a google app called Exdialer. That worked for me as a dialer.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Does that app work with iPhone as well? How do you connect to phones? Is there a Bluetooth functionality?

Also do you see Bluetooth in the settings? I only see wifi.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:06 AM
ETL330
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this is great. Have g read through the entire thread but definitely beats the $3k for the Alpine 9" I waned for my Jeep
Old 06-06-2016, 10:47 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does that app work with iPhone as well? How do you connect to phones? Is there a Bluetooth functionality?

Also do you see Bluetooth in the settings? I only see wifi.
The Seicane is a bluetooth master. Pairing to slave device settings are in the phone dialer app. This is somewhat logical since most of the time its a phone you are pairing to for calls HFP (but it also supports music stream A2DP). The Seicance should be able to host to multiple slave devices simultaneously, but I have not tried. Phone, iPod, ODBII, etc..

The android bluetooth slave settings on the Seicane are not accessible. I can only think of a couple use cases where you might even need the slave settings: 1) Play to a bluetooth headset or external speaker. 2) connect android wear watch maybe. In this one way its unlike a tablet, and more like a home receiver. Im sure they could not customize the android settings menu to do whats needed.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Originally Posted by morrisdl
The Seicane is a bluetooth master. Pairing to slave device settings are in the phone dialer app. This is somewhat logical since most of the time its a phone you are pairing to for calls HFP (but it also supports music stream A2DP). The Seicance should be able to host to multiple slave devices simultaneously, but I have not tried. Phone, iPod, ODBII, etc..

The android bluetooth slave settings on the Seicane are not accessible. I can only think of a couple use cases where you might even need the slave settings: 1) Play to a bluetooth headset or external speaker. 2) connect android wear watch maybe. In this one way its unlike a tablet, and more like a home receiver. Im sure they could not customize the android settings menu to do whats needed.
I guessed that. I am just surprised how the exdialer app worked for hgupta because I dont see bluetooth on the phone app settings.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Also, Did anyone buy the rear view camera from Seicane? Did you route the power cables from the reverse light? Where did you get the ACC- and ACC+ connections from ?
Old 06-06-2016, 07:25 PM
hgupta
Instructor

I guessed that. I am just surprised how the exdialer app worked for hgupta because I dont see bluetooth on the phone app settings.

yeah, it asked my how I wanted to place my call, and I selected bluetooth. It then used my phone to dial out.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:45 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Got my rear view camera installation completed by a shop today (for now)...until I come up with more modifications.
Some notes to assist others:

Rear view camera looks fantastic.
They added a ground loop isolator (they called it a noise filter), mounted the microphone above the rear view mirror.
With Nova Launcher, you can turn on google now hotword so that you can talk directly to the device just by saying "Ok Google". When you are on the home page. It worked really well. I can say all sorts of stuff to it, just like Siri, but without having to press a button. I can't wait to try it with waze.

Other things to note: it appears to be capable of a front camera using the AUX input if you ensure the parking wires are connected on the harness. I may try that next week because the shop didn't use the wireless video sender that I bought for the rear camera.
The mifi device fits in the ashtray, and I connected it to one of the USB plugs so that it starts up with the car. a friend recommended freedom pop because it is really cheap for hotspot (1GB for $5). I went ahead and ordered one.

I got google play music working, and the dash is now mostly the album cover widget, with a little Google now widget. Music is being synced using dropbox so that I can manage it easily from my home computer. I have it set to stay on for 10 minutes after I shut down the car so that it can finish syncing at home. It also is nice that it doesnt' need to reboot if I get out for quick trips (like gas).

Somehow the steering wheel controls started working with the Google play music and Spotify. No more complaints.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review