Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Old 05-23-2016, 06:24 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah, I picked up a MiFi too. I figured I would keep it in the glove box incase I need it for trips or other uses.

My unit came in already. I can't wait to install it. Where did you tap into the 12v for the most adapter?
Old 05-24-2016, 07:53 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The previous owner had already spliced in a Cartronics iTronic bluetooth adapter to pins 4 and 8. I removed it and just reused those connections:

Old 05-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought this as well! Its on its way! Cant wait to install it
Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Did anyone buy the backup camera along with this kit? Any reviews or comments on that? Was it easy to install?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 AM
hgupta
Instructor

I am still getting all my parts in for the install.

is there a way to use the USB and aux in from the center console box?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:28 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

YES, but the AUX is not long enough to get there and would need extension. Your probably want to convert the AUX from RCA to 1/8" female too. Maybe the USB input cords would make it to the center console.

$13 on amazon $13 on amazon
Old 05-26-2016, 01:57 PM
hgupta
Instructor

I was hoping to use the already existing aux in and USB that are in the console box, but I am not even sure how they are currently wired in.

I went to an installer today because I also want to add rear view camera, and they suggested also adding a front camera if the unit will support it. Anyone know how that might work?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Originally Posted by hgupta
I was hoping to use the already existing aux in and USB that are in the console box, but I am not even sure how they are currently wired in.

I went to an installer today because I also want to add rear view camera, and they suggested also adding a front camera if the unit will support it. Anyone know how that might work?
Which year Cayenne do you have? Do you have pics of the rear view camera? Does it replace one of the lights above the number plate and look like the OEM one? Any idea how its wired thru the car?

The front camera is the DVR option on the seicane website. I think it sits on the dash facing the road recording and storing everything you see. its $70 from the Seicane site.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:12 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara
Which year Cayenne do you have? Do you have pics of the rear view camera? Does it replace one of the lights above the number plate and look like the OEM one? Any idea how its wired thru the car?

The front camera is the DVR option on the seicane website. I think it sits on the dash facing the road recording and storing everything you see. its $70 from the Seicane site.
Mine is a 2010 S model. I just ordered one from ebay that replaces the lights. Hopefully it will fit. This is the one that I got.

I am not sure exactly how it is wired yet. I believe it goes up through the liftgate and to the power wire in the car taillight, but I am leaving it to the installer. I also bought the wireless module, but they said that they don't like using them because of the picture is often poor quality.

The installer also suggested a wired camera for the front (not the Seicane DVR), to make parallel parking easier if the Seicane allows dual cameras.

Oddly enough, although my installer owns a Cayenne GTS, he hasn't doesn't any modifications to his.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:40 PM
hgupta
Instructor

I am still working on getting ready for installation. I think of the five harnesses, the one marked "DAKY-5688-01" is most likely the correct one as it generally matches the back of my PCM.

To avoid cutting any OEM wires, I am planning on splicing the Bose MOST adapter directly onto the supplied harness (DAKY-5688-01). Black to Black, and red (Most adapter (ACC) to Yellow on the harness (constant 12). Is that correct, or will it drain my battery?

The yellow wire on the MOST adapter is not labelled. What does it get connected into?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:33 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by hgupta

To avoid cutting any OEM wires, I am planning on splicing the Bose MOST adapter directly onto the supplied harness (DAKY-5688-01). Black to Black, and red (Most adapter (ACC) to Yellow on the harness (constant 12). Is that correct, or will it drain my battery?

The yellow wire on the MOST adapter is not labelled. What does it get connected into?

I got impatient and I installed it myself today. So I am answering my own questions above to help out others. Just run the red on the MOST decoder to the fusebox as an accessory. Then splice yellow to yellow on your harness, and black to black. Works wonderfully.

First impressions: this thing is awesome. It looks fantastic. For my car (2010 Cayenne S), I did not need their GPS antenna. The OEM blue FAKRA wire plugs in directly. Same with the FM radio... Black Fakra plugs in directly, and reception is better than my old one. This thing sounds awesome, but yes, you will need a ground loop isolator. There is no built in microphone, so I will have the one that comes with it professionally installed. I ran the USB cables to the ashtray. Maybe should have put one of the cables in glove box instead, but I can't imagine what I would need the second one for. Ultimately, I would like to run the USB, and audio in jacks to the spots already in the center console box.

Sound is good. At least as good as OEM unit. Launcher interface is okay. I coudn't figure out how to add widgets, but it can't be THAT hard. You can swap out the launcher withe a more sophisticated one, like Nova or Google launcher. There are actually a lot of good launchers meant for the car, so you can pick any one.

Playstore works wonderfully, so once you log into your google account, you can go to your home computer and start picking apps from the playstore. When you get back to your car and start it up with an internet connection, it will add them all. With dropbox, and dropsync you can send music, videos or whatever to the unit when it comes on.

Bluetooth audio is great. It mixes in your audio from your phone with whatever you are listening to. So your notification sounds and other alerts are heard over the music you are listening to. That is just slick.

Cons: The screen is not set back like the OEM radio, so sun glare can be a problem. I'll try one of the antiglare, antifingerprint screen protectors to see if that helps. AM radio is weaker than OEM, but all the stations I listen to on AM are available on I heart radio. Can't yet figure out AUX video.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:52 PM
hgupta
Instructor

What music player app are you using? I hate the one that came with the device, but haven't had best luck yet with steering wheel controls on others.

Maybe I have to do some mapping for them.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:05 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Sorry, I have never loaded any of my mp3s on it. I have youtube red, amazon prime, slacker radio, IHeartRadio, and TED apps; they all allow for offline playback. Im in very rural part of VA and I have not problem stream live feeds 99% of the time. Im sure there are still vast "dead zone" spaces in the US, I just dont ever get out there.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Ok here is my review. I have a 2004 Base cayenne with the base unit.

Installation was very simple. I remove the old unit. Attached the cables using the adapter. I did not have to slice any wires. Installation took like 15 mins once I figured out everything. I routed the mic thru the center console, pulled it out near the driver legspace and attached it to the side. I pulled the USB cables out near the passenger leg space and let it sit near the ash tray in the center. I am going to see if I can push this to the glove box.

General look: The unit looks good and fits very well. I wish they had given two extra screws as my unit only came with two and the unit isnt complete flush with the trim due to this. I will go to the dealership and pick up more screws. I also wish the display was recessed a bit so glare wont be a problem. The porsche and android logo shows up when you turn on the car, looks very good.

Radio: the old radio antenna just snapped into place. Works better than the factory unit. clear sound.

GPS: I was unable to find any satellites. While testing, I put the antenna on the roof and still did not find any. I have emailed Seicane about this, and no reply as yet. I will update you as to what happens.

Phone Mirroring: I have an iPhone, and I was able to mirror the iphone to the unit easily. This may work much better with an android phone, but I dont think I will use this feature at all.. .

Phone: The app used to making calls is very easy to use. But it doesnt have a favourites list. It imports the entire phone list and if I need to call the top 4-5 people, I need to search. Recently called list is also there to alleviate some of this pain, but i wish it had a separate favourite list. If you want to listen to music from the phone, you need to use the app. Its not very intuitive as there is a separate app to listen to music. This app does not display any cover art etc. and looks lousy.

Music: There is a separate app for music when its stored locally. The unit came with some Chinese songs in it. I am yet to put some music here to see if all the art work shows up. when I connected phone on USB, it did not work immediately. I will try some more tonight to see if I can get it to work.

OBDII Scanner: I got a WIFI scanner instead of a bluetooth scanner. So I cannot connect to local wifi or the 3G module when using the scanner. I may buy a bluetooth scanner instead. But the app works beautifully. I am able to monitor the RPM and all other sensors.

Rear view camera: Yet to install this as I need to figure out the routing of cables.

Pros: The unit is functional and fits well. It looks more like an unit built for the car than a third party upgrade. Most of the features work as advertised. I am sure apps on android will make it work even better. I am yet to download apps and check them out. Please suggest some if you have any recommendations

Cons: the screen could be a better, and the software can definitely be user friendly. Hope they come out with a software upgrade soon. The GPS not working is either an antenna issue or a unit issue. I will update you guys when I find out.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:09 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara
Ok here is my review. I have a 2004 Base cayenne with the base unit.

Installation was very simple. I remove the old unit. Attached the cables using the adapter. I did not have to slice any wires. Installation took like 15 mins once I figured out everything. I routed the mic thru the center console, pulled it out near the driver legspace and attached it to the side. I pulled the USB cables out near the passenger leg space and let it sit near the ash tray in the center. I am going to see if I can push this to the glove box.

General look: The unit looks good and fits very well. I wish they had given two extra screws as my unit only came with two and the unit isnt complete flush with the trim due to this. I will go to the dealership and pick up more screws. I also wish the display was recessed a bit so glare wont be a problem. The porsche and android logo shows up when you turn on the car, looks very good.

Radio: the old radio antenna just snapped into place. Works better than the factory unit. clear sound.

GPS: I was unable to find any satellites. While testing, I put the antenna on the roof and still did not find any. I have emailed Seicane about this, and no reply as yet. I will update you as to what happens.

Phone Mirroring: I have an iPhone, and I was able to mirror the iphone to the unit easily. This may work much better with an android phone, but I dont think I will use this feature at all.. .

Phone: The app used to making calls is very easy to use. But it doesnt have a favourites list. It imports the entire phone list and if I need to call the top 4-5 people, I need to search. Recently called list is also there to alleviate some of this pain, but i wish it had a separate favourite list. If you want to listen to music from the phone, you need to use the app. Its not very intuitive as there is a separate app to listen to music. This app does not display any cover art etc. and looks lousy.

Music: There is a separate app for music when its stored locally. The unit came with some Chinese songs in it. I am yet to put some music here to see if all the art work shows up. when I connected phone on USB, it did not work immediately. I will try some more tonight to see if I can get it to work.

OBDII Scanner: I got a WIFI scanner instead of a bluetooth scanner. So I cannot connect to local wifi or the 3G module when using the scanner. I may buy a bluetooth scanner instead. But the app works beautifully. I am able to monitor the RPM and all other sensors.

Rear view camera: Yet to install this as I need to figure out the routing of cables.

Pros: The unit is functional and fits well. It looks more like an unit built for the car than a third party upgrade. Most of the features work as advertised. I am sure apps on android will make it work even better. I am yet to download apps and check them out. Please suggest some if you have any recommendations

Cons: the screen could be a better, and the software can definitely be user friendly. Hope they come out with a software upgrade soon. The GPS not working is either an antenna issue or a unit issue. I will update you guys when I find out.
I agree with just about everything you said.
For the fit.. I have all 4 screws and it still sticks out a hair at the top. Not enough for me to worry about.

GPS - mine works great with the Cayenne's built in GPS antenna. I didn't have to use the one that came with it.

Is your mic on the steering column? How well does it work there?

Camera: I bought a camera, but I am toying with the idea of installing this 360 degree camera if I can get aux video input to work. Let me know if you have success.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/All-R...634638919.html

Apps: If you have never used Android, be prepared for an amazing experience. I switched from iphone and love it. Use the Play store app to get setup. Then goto play.google.com on your home computer and start picking apps that you like. Get the standards for streaming - Iheartradio, pandora, spotify, netflix whatever. They will load the next time your car has internet. I also added Waze, Google Maps, Google now (so that you can talk to it like Siri), Yelp, Dropbox, and Dropsync. Dropsync should let you sync your USB drive with a folder on dropbox. That way, you can add or remove music or videos that are on the USB stick without having to remove it.

If you have rudimentary programing skills, Tasker is amazing for controlling the unit using scripts and if/then statements. For example, you can tell it to launch dropbox/dropsync only when you are connected to home or work wifi. That way you don't eat up data. You can also have it launch waze in the background so you are alerted to speedtraps, redlight cameras, or other hazards.

Of course, Android's greatest strength are the live widgets. The google now widget is very helpful for weather and best directions. Other widgets show the album art cover for the currently playing music (similar to the built in app), calendar appointments, todo lists, weather,and pretty much any other information you want to see without launching an app.

There are also a couple of driving related apps. Automate may be worth checking out. I used Drivemode on my phone which is intended to keep you focused on driving. I also added apps for my nanny cam and home security system so that I can view these easily if I need to check on issues at home.

I deleted a bunch of their built in apps (such as skype and facebook because I don't need them in my car, eating data). Also, preinstalled apps don't update, so I deleted torque and reinstalled it from the playstore since I already purchased torque pro.

Sadly, I have not has much success getting Google play music to work without errors. It keeps telling me something is wrong with Google play services when I try to use it. I think it is because I disconnected from the internet too soon. Ill try again, but let me know if any of you have success.

EDIT: corrected link

Last edited by hgupta; 06-01-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review