Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Cayenne Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:28 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

As I'm finding, your suspension will also thank you. It'll ride a lot better.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:18 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
As I'm finding, your suspension will also thank you. It'll ride a lot better.
Yes, this is what I'm thinking. Acceleration, fuel economy, wet roadholding, and ride (no "porpoising"/underdamped condition) in realistic road surfaces hopefully can be improved.

Last edited by mclaudio; 03-28-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:00 AM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting note, the 20" options that are OEM for the 957 use a 275/40 R20 tyre. The OEM 958 RS Spyder wheels size is 275/45 R20, something to be aware of if buying a set that comes with ready rubber on them.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:19 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

I've had the GTS back for a few days with the RS wheels.

Observations:

- No more metallic, high pitch road noise on Seattle's worn freeways
- No more loud thumps when going over potholes. This may confirm my suspicion that my 22" tires' sidewalls were insufficient
- Less steering wheel vibration
- I can now detect difference in various suspension settings among comfort, normal and sport. On the low ride setting, comfort and normal were not discernible to me with the 22"s; it always felt like it was on sport mode but with too much underdamping
- Acceleration/deceleration responsiveness improved
- Have not tested ultimate grip but grip is much better on imperfect and wet roads. Pushing it on dry street roads, speeds were certainly high enough for me.

Though perhaps some of my issues can be attributed to the tires, it's hard to argue over handling improvements due to lighter rotational weight.

Here's a quick photo or two.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:16 PM
fatmatt0116
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can't beat OEM wheels when it comes to ride quality.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:51 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm a little late to the thread but here is a 958 w Sport Technos. I went from Turbo II 19"s to these (9x20) w all season SottoZero tires. Really like the look, easy to clean, and very strong. I weighed the original wheel/tire which had Mich Lattitudes and the new set and the new are 2.8 pounds heavier (66 vs 68.8) each. I can't tell much difference in ride quality or road noise. I do not have AS.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio
I've had the GTS back for a few days with the RS wheels.

Observations:

- No more metallic, high pitch road noise on Seattle's worn freeways
- No more loud thumps when going over potholes. This may confirm my suspicion that my 22" tires' sidewalls were insufficient
- Less steering wheel vibration
- I can now detect difference in various suspension settings among comfort, normal and sport. On the low ride setting, comfort and normal were not discernible to me with the 22"s; it always felt like it was on sport mode but with too much underdamping
- Acceleration/deceleration responsiveness improved
- Have not tested ultimate grip but grip is much better on imperfect and wet roads. Pushing it on dry street roads, speeds were certainly high enough for me.

Though perhaps some of my issues can be attributed to the tires, it's hard to argue over handling improvements due to lighter rotational weight.
If you had Michelin Latitudes and went to the DWS's - IMHO the biggest difference is the tire. The taller sidewall will absorb bumps better - but the slap that you get when going over something like a poorly paved road-cut (which are endemic in NJ.. they simply slop so asphalt in them and go home) was all tire.

I'm sure the sport Latitudes are the best for handling, but switching between the two on my '06 in the same size tire (19" rims) the DWS had it hands down for comfort, noise and ride quality. Perhaps a bit less ultimate dry grip, but a LOT more grip in any sort of weather (wet, snow) and the vastly improved wear factor is just icing on the cake.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:15 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deilenberger
If you had Michelin Latitudes and went to the DWS's - IMHO the biggest difference is the tire. The taller sidewall will absorb bumps better - but the slap that you get when going over something like a poorly paved road-cut (which are endemic in NJ.. they simply slop so asphalt in them and go home) was all tire.

I'm sure the sport Latitudes are the best for handling, but switching between the two on my '06 in the same size tire (19" rims) the DWS had it hands down for comfort, noise and ride quality. Perhaps a bit less ultimate dry grip, but a LOT more grip in any sort of weather (wet, snow) and the vastly improved wear factor is just icing on the cake.
I had Pirelli Assymetricos on the 22"s. For a more direct comparison, it would be interesting to see how the 22" are with DWS tires. I actually thought about doing so before I decided on the 20". However, less rotational weight ultimately led me to my decision. I also prefer to stick with OEM wheels instead of the Chinese aftermarket wheels installed by the PO.

Another thing: while the DWS' taller sidewall may indeed be the factor in absorbing bumps better, the change to 20" is what enabled to have taller sidewalls for the same overall tire diameter.

Btw, I think you're right on the DWS' ride quality and grip in more adverse weather conditions.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:35 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51

I'm a little late to the thread but here is a 958 w Sport Technos. I went from Turbo II 19"s to these (9x20) w all season SottoZero tires. Really like the look, easy to clean, and very strong. I weighed the original wheel/tire which had Mich Lattitudes and the new set and the new are 2.8 pounds heavier (66 vs 68.8) each. I can't tell much difference in ride quality or road noise. I do not have AS.
I've had 17s and 18s in my past Cayennes. Though tire (model/design/construction) is a variable, I'm beginning to think that 20s are the sweet spot for these cars and 22s are too much for the Cayenne's suspension design/setup as well as visual proportions. The latter is more subjective of course.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:38 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

The differences you feel are from both the wheels and tires. Chinese wheels, especially 22's will almost always vibrate at hwy speeds. If you still have any steering wheel vibration, usually apparent at 80-85 mph, have them re-balanced. I am with you on 20's being the sweet spot.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:30 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtnrat
The differences you feel are from both the wheels and tires...

...I am with you on 20's being the sweet spot.
+1
Old 04-08-2016, 09:42 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio
I've had 17s and 18s in my past Cayennes. Though tire (model/design/construction) is a variable, I'm beginning to think that 20s are the sweet spot for these cars and 22s are too much for the Cayenne's suspension design/setup as well as visual proportions. The latter is more subjective of course.
IDK, I think my 22" forgestars look great and they ride just fine with the air suspension.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:53 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJG911
IDK, I think my 22" forgestars look great and they ride just fine with the air suspension.
To each their own. As mentioned, looks are subjective. With black wheels, they don't look as big to me (My 22"s were silver) and the wheels blend in more.

What does the wheel and tire combo weigh? 70+ pounds?
Old 04-09-2016, 03:45 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't have a weight, but significantly less than the chinese 22s I had on the last cayenne. the Forgestars are 29 lb wheels though.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Eli355
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I run OEM 21 turbo wheels on my '13S in the summer and 18s with all weather tires in the winter. Withe the air suspension the 21s are fantastic. Smooth in comfort mode and stiff for handleing purposes in sport mode

I think the 18s are too small and would prefer 19s for winter wheels. Here in the North east we get pothole craters this time of year. I have never had an issue with the 18 in terms of flats or bent rims but they look a little small in the space.

Quick Reply: Changing Cayenne Wheels