Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soft close liftgate help request

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 02:37 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default soft close liftgate help request (solved)

Been having trouble with my soft-close and need a reference for what "normal" is from someone else. Mine is a 2004 CTT.

The powered latch at the bottom stays in the middle of its range of travel at rest, and when the liftgate latch microswitch closes (like when closing the liftgate), the motor turns and draws the bottom latch in, but then back out all the way and back to where it originally was.

I can see this by manually closing the top latch when the liftgate is open. Would someone mind trying this to see how their bottom latch moves? Thanks.

Last edited by knfeparty; 03-16-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: fixed it
Old 03-12-2016, 06:05 PM
Orantes
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine draws the hatch in and then it stays in that position. It does not move back out. I assume this is what you are asking?
Old 03-12-2016, 06:59 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

It is. I thought that is what mine did originally as well. I think I somehow moved the "home" position of the soft-close motor when I closed the liftgate too hard. I will probably have to replace the soft-close motor; opening it up looks like a big pain.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:18 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
It is. I thought that is what mine did originally as well. I think I somehow moved the "home" position of the soft-close motor when I closed the liftgate too hard. I will probably have to replace the soft-close motor; opening it up looks like a big pain.
I would test the microswitch first. You could have damaged the alingment or it could be dirty. I just did a full hatch removal and adjustment.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I would test the microswitch first. You could have damaged the alingment or it could be dirty. I just did a full hatch removal and adjustment.
I tested the micro switch in the liftgate itself. About midway through its travel, it will make the lights on the bottom of the hatch turn off, and when depressed fully it will activate the soft close motor.

Does the motor itself (on the lower latch, just above the rear bumper) have a switch as well?
Old 03-15-2016, 12:38 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I tested the micro switch in the liftgate itself. About midway through its travel, it will make the lights on the bottom of the hatch turn off, and when depressed fully it will activate the soft close motor.

Does the motor itself (on the lower latch, just above the rear bumper) have a switch as well?
I don't remember but I still have the latch motor exposed so I can look tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:28 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Problem solved.

My external button for opening the liftgate wasn't activating the microswitch. There's a little detent thing that controls the motion of the bar inside the button, and it was out of position and keeping the microswitch from being activated.

After I unplugged the switch, put the detent back in place, and put it back together, everything went back to working. The soft close motor returned to its "normal" ways of staying out until the latch connected, and then drawing in. I didn't have to use a durametric or anything.

As a side note, the rear hatch works WAY better with all the heavy trim removed. It lifts so much faster and higher now!
Old 05-24-2022, 01:44 AM
Tuan
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem solved.

My external button for opening the liftgate wasn't activating the microswitch. There's a little detent thing that controls the motion of the bar inside the button, and it was out of position and keeping the microswitch from being activated.

After I unplugged the switch, put the detent back in place, and put it back together, everything went back to working. The soft close motor returned to its "normal" ways of staying out until the latch connected, and then drawing in. I didn't have to use a durametric or anything.

As a side note, the rear hatch works WAY better with all the heavy trim removed. It lifts so much faster and higher now!
when you mention the microswicht, is it located inside the handle above the plate or it stay inside the latch?
my lower latch wont move whatsoever even wjen I turn the upper latch twice by hand. Something is missing here electronically or signally.

Quick Reply: soft close liftgate help request