Sponsored by:

Out of State Used Car Negotiation and Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Out of State Used Car Negotiation and Purchase

I did a search of the forum and didn't find anything too helpful so I thought I'd post a question.

I'm in the market for either a 2013 GTS or a 2011-12 CTT. I've driven both and would be happy in either. I slightly prefer the GTS but there aren't too many out there in my price range.

At any rate, in an effort to find the right car I am searching nationally and will either fly/drive or have it shipped to my home in the Chicagoland area. I have a couple of questions, namely:

1. Is it customary to negotiate a price, and then do a PPI followed by a renegotiation (if necessary) or do you do the PPI and then decide if a negotiation is even worthwhile? My gut says the later, but wanted to confirm.

2. If I bought from a Porsche dealer, is there a % I should expect them to come down in price? For example, should I expect to be able to buy at at dealer trade in value plus X dollars or Y % or?

Appreciate any insights. For the sake of these questions, assume a clean/typical Carfax prior to considering the vehicle at all.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:38 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Hey Joel,
{sidebar; I posted a note under another guys thread, asking if you have driven anything with PDCC}

I can probably help you with your #1 above,... since I personally lost out on 2 Cayenne's back last year (Feb '15) when I was looking to buy.

Most all Porsche dealerships (& probably most independents), will expect you to negotiate the final price first, with the assumption that the vehicle is "as they describe", and passes any PPI that you setup/purchase. You should certainly tell them that the price you have both settled on, is dependent upon a PPI. And when you do finally settle on that price, & provide them a CC deposit, you should have them send you a deposit paper that also has YOUR words written on it about the contingency on a clear PPI, otherwise the purchase price can & will be re-negotiated based on any identified problems.

Those 2 Cayenne's that I lost out on (nationwide search & both were Porsche Dealerships) were because other people were also calling them, asking questions at the same time as me,... and unbeknownst to me, a different sales rep took a verbal offer from someone else, into their Sales Mgr's office BEFORE I could get all my questions answered & make my own "offer". Once I did make an offer, my sales guy would call me right back & tell me that another offer was already sitting on his managers desk. Once a dealership decides to counter offer, all other new offers sit in a FIFO stack, waiting to see if the first party completes the deal.

In both of those circumstances above, I was calling on NEW postings the MORNING AFTER they popped up on the net. I had automatic email notifications setup {w/ all specific criteria}, in cars.com & autotrader.com. So I was seeing these new postings pop up in the evening, and I would call them first thing in the morning.

That was my experience. By the time I finally wised up, I quickly asked all the questions I needed to ask, and would not let the Sales Rep off the phone (cuz sometimes, when they have a new listing, and the Rep doesn't know all the answers, they will tell you they can call you back with answers after they go investigate. I had them put me on hold, or ask a assistant to go find the papers or answers).

Fortunately for me, the one that popped up for me, was only 2 hours away. Once I put a fully refundable $500 deposit {cuz I was pretty sure it was the right one for me}, I then drove straight up to the PA dealership to complete my own inspection & review of all the paperwork. I also lucked out that mine had all service records from that same dealership where it was bought new. Anything & everything that was done to it, was at that dealership (the guy traded it in on a new CTTS).

So depending on what the circumstances are for you,... your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
=Steve
Old 03-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Steve,

Some additional info on the PDCC question--the GTS I drove was absolutely loaded ($120k sticker, PDCC, PTV+, Burmester, black with Peridot interior, etc.) while the CTT was nicely equipped but did not have PDCC or PSE (the CTT sounds nice but the sound of the GTS is intoxicating) and perhaps I preferred the GTS for those reasons. Regardless, they were both very nice cars and I'd do well to have a nice example of either.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:19 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel 67
.... the GTS I drove was absolutely loaded ($120k sticker, PDCC, PTV+, Burmester, black with Peridot interior, etc.)...
awwwwe yea,... a GTS equipped like that certainly checks a LOT of the boxes!! nice.

See,.. it proves my point that the OPTIONS can make it or break it on any Cayenne!!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Max432
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too live in the Chicago area but ended up buying my 2014 Cayenne S from jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta. For me it was a great experience worth the the trouble. I went this far partly because the dealers near me were not that great to deal with...too pushy seemed insulted that I wanted to "deal". Jim Ellis on the other hand has a dedicated internet sales staff that is very knowledgable and use to those of us that have lots of questions and want to negotiate.

The proccess for me was to identify the car I wanted, get all my questions answered, request some additional pictures and finally make an offer. It took around an hour of back and forth before we agreeded upon a price but was a pleasant experience none the less. I put a deposit down and my wife and I flew to Atlanta a couple of days later. The dealer had a car service pick us up at the airport and drive us to the dealership at their expense.

Once there we looked the car over and and there were two minor very small chips towards the bottom of the front bumper. Not really bothersome but I asked for a $300 credit and a couple of Porsche coffee mugs which they agreed to without hesitation. Was alot of fun taking our new car on a road trip back to Chicago. Regarding PPI we did not do as we bought certified.

We have now owned the car for 20 months and 15k miles with no serious problems. The clock was replaced under warranty and routine maintence. We have it serviced at Motorwerks in Barrington. They are very friendly and no problem that it was purchased elsewhere. Hope that helps.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:29 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Long Distance Purchase

My wife & I ordered a new Cayenne Diesel last September - it was built and sitting on the dock for shipping to the US when Dieselgate broke - the ship sailed with our Cayenne. We played the waiting game, but by mid-January my wife was over it. I spec-d a new "S" same as the Diesel, but she asked if there might be something similar in stock at a dealer. The only issue was that I was hard-over on getting the Sport Design body kit and doubted that any dealer stock vehicle would come so equipped.... unless it was a GTS. Took a chance and did a GTS search on the Porsche USA site and the first vehicle that came up was a 16 GTS with 8K miles, CPO, and in the color combo the wife wanted with just about every other option we were looking for except for a hitch and roof rails. Decided we could live without the rails and could add a hitch if we really needed it, so called the dealer and asked my questions. Made what I believed to be a reasonable offer (more based on making it no more expensive than a new "S") that was less than asking (~2.5% lower) and they accepted. Maybe could have pushed it for a little more, but frankly my approach is to be reasonable right from the start - not a big fan of the protracted back & forths. Also, the dealership starting price was lower than some of the pricing guides I could find, so it came across as priced for a sale (in the middle of a cold Midwest winter). Thankfully, the dealership I dealt with was amenable to this. Didn't do a PPI as they sent me the shop paperwork from the PPI. Had it shipped by Intercity (Rennlist Sponsor) and picked it up yesterday - it's the wife's new ride after 10+ years in a 4Runner. Espresso/Cognac interior, Premium Package, LCA, Premium Package with Seat Cooling & Heated Wheel, 21" Wheels..... not a lot of options, but it's a nice ride.

So yes, you can negotiate.... to your heart's content I would imagine, but in my case, a few % was in the realm of possible (for a CPO'd vehicle).

Old 03-03-2016, 12:06 PM
AtlantaPerimeter
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Max432
I too live in the Chicago area but ended up buying my 2014 Cayenne S from jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta. For me it was a great experience worth the the trouble. I went this far partly because the dealers near me were not that great to deal with...too pushy seemed insulted that I wanted to "deal". Jim Ellis on the other hand has a dedicated internet sales staff that is very knowledgable and use to those of us that have lots of questions and want to negotiate.

The proccess for me was to identify the car I wanted, get all my questions answered, request some additional pictures and finally make an offer. It took around an hour of back and forth before we agreeded upon a price but was a pleasant experience none the less. I put a deposit down and my wife and I flew to Atlanta a couple of days later. The dealer had a car service pick us up at the airport and drive us to the dealership at their expense.

Once there we looked the car over and and there were two minor very small chips towards the bottom of the front bumper. Not really bothersome but I asked for a $300 credit and a couple of Porsche coffee mugs which they agreed to without hesitation. Was alot of fun taking our new car on a road trip back to Chicago. Regarding PPI we did not do as we bought certified.

We have now owned the car for 20 months and 15k miles with no serious problems. The clock was replaced under warranty and routine maintence. We have it serviced at Motorwerks in Barrington. They are very friendly and no problem that it was purchased elsewhere. Hope that helps.

Thank you for the kind words. We are very happy to hear that you had such a pleasant experience with us. We do a lot of sales across state lines for these reasons. As a member of our Internet Sales Team, it gives me great pride to know that you were very happy with your purchase. Thank you for your business.

Gene
Old 03-03-2016, 06:23 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I just recently posted the same search and we are likely looking at the same vehicles. As others have mentioned, the options list is nice for a new buyer, but does make it tougher for buying used. Especially, if you're looking for PVT and PDCC. If I buy from a dealer & it's certified, I don't pay to have an inspection as it's well documented. But, i do my best to go over it thoroughly before working on price.
I have access to the auctions, so I get a chance to see what some of the places pay for them and am surprised as to the wholesale price. Example: 2013 GTS sold for $58,500 at auction and was on a dealer lot for $63,500. It doesn't take into account what people get when trading in and that number is likely the same or less. Bottom line, there seems to be approx. 12-15% mark-up, so if you can get 5% off of that, you're doing good. Plus, you can negociate extended warranty, maintenance and your interest rate......and as the OP mentioned, get some coffee mugs! Get YOUR deal or walk away. There are more out there everyday!
Old 03-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Smooth
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in MI and bought mine from a GMC dealer in Jacksonville listed on cars.com. I already had narrowed down all the options I wanted and this one was posted without pics. It was a trade-in. I had the salesperson snap photos while it was in clean up and negotiated the price, put a deposit of $1000 on credit card pending inspection and in-person view.

I got their permission to get the dealership redacted service records, reviewed those and everything passed on inspection. I fly down, they sent a driver to pick me up from the airport. Saw the Cayenne in person and it was tip-top. Signed the paperwork and drove her home. It was a challenge not to drop the hammer too much for fear of getting a ticket hours from purchasing with a temporary out-of-state plate.

I'm so glad I did that. Love the car and the options I wanted were just not available locally.

Quick Reply: Out of State Used Car Negotiation and Purchase