Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

957 3.6 immune from scored cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 PM
spcamno
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 957 3.6 immune from scored cylinder?

Hi All,

Considering an 09 3.6 DFI and would like to know the towing capacity.

Also, if these motor are immune from the early V8 from scored cylinder?

Thank you in advance any input will be very much appreciated.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:14 PM
bri3d
AutoX

Cayennes across the board are rated to tow 7700lb in the US, although the VR6 may be kind of slow towing that amount.

The 3.6L is the same basic design as every VW VR6 that has been supplied in VW cars for 25+ years (updated to 3.6L and FSI in 2005) and is not susceptible to the same issues as any of the Porsche-designed V8s, including cylinder scoring. I have heard it has other common issues but I don't think any are as severe.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:01 PM
spcamno
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bri3d
Cayennes across the board are rated to tow 7700lb in the US, although the VR6 may be kind of slow towing that amount.

The 3.6L is the same basic design as every VW VR6 that has been supplied in VW cars for 25+ years (updated to 3.6L and FSI in 2005) and is not susceptible to the same issues as any of the Porsche-designed V8s, including cylinder scoring. I have heard it has other common issues but I don't think any are as severe.
Thank you for your post.

I remember reading somewhere most V8 scored cylinder happen on model years 04 to 05 but any idea if the 957 (08 to 10) has a less likely occurrence?

Still debating between the V6 and the S but was scared off with the numbers of scored cylinder on early S model.

Thank you
Old 03-01-2016, 05:28 PM
bri3d
AutoX

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post11245274

This issue has been discussed over and over here, but this is the best summary I have seen. No V8 is immune (S or Turbo, 955 or 957). The incidence on Turbos actually seems higher with the 957 engines than the 955 ones. (see https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ilure-yet.html ).

The only reliable way to tell if the car will have the issue is a combination of a borescope and to somehow know if it has been cold started in very low temperatures. But, the wear starts below the piston face. So, even a borescope can't catch an early failure as the lower scratches will be covered by the piston even at BDC.

In this respect, the more miles the better IMO. A car with 80k is less likely to have the failure latent but hidden, and the natural, safe wear to the liners from normal use will lend the piston more clearance that can prevent the total failure down the road.

The Turbo has wider factory clearances so it's less likely to fail, but cold start it at too low a temperature and you're still screwed. I think a lot of the reason there are fewer posts about failed Turbos is that there are fewer of them, not that they're immune.

I think the decision between a V8 and a V6 with respect to cylinder scoring should come down to climate. If you're in Canada, or Michigan, the V8 is a lottery I wouldn't play. If you're in Texas or California, I wouldn't sweat it too much... just find a car that's only been registered in a warm state and you're probably good to go.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

955 Cayenne S is "the" cylinder scoring model. With all others its just a case of bad luck of it happens. Turbo's and V6:es have nikasil cylinder coating, S has lokasil.

Quick Reply: 957 3.6 immune from scored cylinder?