Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feel the hate. Bosch quietcast pads are braking my heart.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 03:17 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No I guess not. I have never done it and haven't priced it and these meyle Chinese rotors aren't great. So if it was going to cost a lot I would rather just buy good rotors. Know what I mean? I also assumed it was more labor time to remove and reinstall each rotor or are they resurfaced in place?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
No I guess not. I have never done it and haven't priced it and these meyle Chinese rotors aren't great. So if it was going to cost a lot I would rather just buy good rotors. Know what I mean? I also assumed it was more labor time to remove and reinstall each rotor or are they resurfaced in place?
Depends on the machine they have if they can resurface while still on the car. Not many places resurfaces anymore because of how cheap rotors have gotten. If you do not replace the rotors or resurface them you will not get 100% out of the new pads you bought.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:20 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

New rotors definitely cost more than resurfacing old rotors, but if you have cheap Chinese rotors, then I'd probably spend the time and money and get OEM or better replacement rotors (OEM's are fine for my usage and needs). To me and as others have said, it is a safety item so best not to cheap it out too much.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:53 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I know I'm just going to have to wait until I can redo the whole enchilada properly.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:01 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I would absolutely not resurface the rotors. Put on new pads and call it good. It will not significantly impact pad life.

The only negative is that the bedding process may take a bit longer as the high spots on the rotor wear into the pad to achieve 100% contact.

Resurfacing will risk making them out of true, if the operator or machine is out of calibration.

Following this advice will also spare you replacing the bolts, since you won't have to remove the caliper to change the rotor.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

VERY happy with Hawk HPS: quiet, way less dust and about 90% stopping bite of dusty, fast-wearing Brembo/Textar/Pagid pads....
Old 03-26-2016, 05:04 PM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have experience with Ferodo pads? I got a good deal on them. I don't know what I currently have but they are super linear and you almost have to stand on the pedal for the car to stop.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:30 AM
JFR-
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my '06 S, I found the OEM set up prone to fade when braking hard corner to corner or above 100mph. I replaced with EBC yellow pads and Stoptech slotted rotors.

I haven't really tested the new set up under the same conditions I experienced fade with the OEM set up, but under normal conditions they have performed 100% identical to OEM in all regards. No squeeling, good cold performance, same dust, and a few normal hard stops have been on a dime (although again, no super high temp testing done to date).
Old 03-27-2016, 12:50 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

One point on brake pads - almost anything you used/installed more then a year ago - is NLA. The EPA has removed copper from brake pads. Copper used to be a primary component in many pads (like all sintered pads..) New pads - my mechanic friend told me - use a high proportion of walnut shells. You might still find some copper bearing pads in "race" formulations, but the every day use pads have changed. What you knew is no longer what's available.

Some info: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/hwtr/betterbrakes.html

And a google - https://www.google.com/search?q=copp...e+pads&ie=&oe= will turn up even more..
Old 03-27-2016, 01:49 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I've got a set of brand new oem takeoff pads from my 2016 CD I would sell for 300 plus shipping if anyone is interested.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:55 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed Bosch Quietcast on my Cayenne S prior to sale. I bedded them correctly and while they didn't have a good cold bite, for a street commuter they weren't that bad for me. Made in China though and I would not buy them again.

I love OEM pads but they dust like crazy.

I have EBC Red on my E55 and they are ok but I don't like the feel, I have a set of Pagids in the shelf that I am going to install in their place.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:48 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I've figured out the main thing I hate about them. And hey maybe the shop I used botched the brake bleed. But in a panic stop they just dont bite. It takes way longer to stop abuptly. If a cat or kid jumps out the pedal feels really stiff and I have to press so hard to get anything to happen. Feels all pillowy and takes longer. For regular driving where quick deceleration isnt required they are fine.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:11 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I've figured out the main thing I hate about them. And hey maybe the shop I used botched the brake bleed. But in a panic stop they just dont bite. It takes way longer to stop abuptly. If a cat or kid jumps out the pedal feels really stiff and I have to press so hard to get anything to happen. Feels all pillowy and takes longer. For regular driving where quick deceleration isnt required they are fine.
if they did a fluid flush and had to do a bleed, than they probably do have air in them. If you pump them repeatedly quickly, does it get firmer? If so, more than likely air in the system. Their are bleeders on both sides of the calipers, and some people dont realize that both sides have to be bled.

Quick Reply: Feel the hate. Bosch quietcast pads are braking my heart.