Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feel the hate. Bosch quietcast pads are braking my heart.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 12:24 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
I will not skimp to save a few bucks on brakes or other safety related items.

http://www.944turbo.com/cayenne-brake-kit.html
Yeah I thought I'd be in safe hands buying a kit from ECS. I think I placed too much stock in their offering. Obviously I regret the decision but I needed brakes at a time when money was a real factor.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:53 AM
timwu12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought EBC yellow stuff pads with brembo rotors.

the stopping power is great, but the yellows squeal like crazy
Old 02-13-2016, 02:01 AM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by timwu12

You should have got EBC red stuff, awesome braking power, quiet and low dust. EBC yellow stuff are notoriously known to be noisy and dusty.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:37 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Hey guys do I need new caliber bolts? All that stuff has only been on there a few months. Are they stretch bolts and thus one time use?
Old 02-13-2016, 10:21 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Hey guys do I need new caliber bolts? All that stuff has only been on there a few months. Are they stretch bolts and thus one time use?

Porsche says they are one time. Why, I'm not sure. They are pretty cheap. Sent you a PM, let me know if I can help.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:54 PM
Bosty
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for stock pads. They are simply the best in all conditions.

I am using EBC yellows right now and cant wait to wear them out to go back to stock.

Porsche is very good at figuring out what works. Especially braking systems.

I think Pagid is the oem supplier to the CTT for brake pads. Pairing them with Zimmerman or Brembo rotors and fresh brake fluid. 👍🏻 I also changed the flexlines due to cracking with ECS braided. Very high quality product for a very reasonable price.

P.s to the above poster. I have used EBC reds. Hated them. They glazed all the rotors and caused them to pulsate. The only upside was the brake dust or lack of.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:28 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by timwu12

You do realize the "yellow stuff" is marketed as a race pad, right?
Old 02-14-2016, 09:55 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A few weeks ago I changed brake pads and did a flush. I replaced OEM pads with OEM pads. Flushed Porsche OEM DOT 4 with Porsche OEM DOT 4 fluid. Excellent stopping and a nice firm brake pedal. I was quite happy with OEM performance before so I stayed with it. My only real heavy braking is when I tow my trailer and car (~ 6500 lbs total tow weight). I have trailer brakes too, but never had any issues with the CD stopping under that heavy tow load. If you search my user name you can find a short comment to a brake thread where I gave some pointers about changing the front pads of the 92A (958) model Cayenne. The rears are standard and simple.

re: caliper bolts - Porsche says replace them at each brake pad change due to stress (brakes build a lot of heat and over time the metal fatigues easier). They are cheap and easy to replace since you have to remove them anyway to change the pads.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:37 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Yeah that makes sense and it's a no brainier to change a cheap part given the safety implications. Because I have o my had this crappy ECS kit on for a few thousand miles I just thought I'd ask.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosty
P.s to the above poster. I have used EBC reds. Hated them. They glazed all the rotors and caused them to pulsate. The only upside was the brake dust or lack of.
That is surprising to me, I have been using these for several years on some of my other cars. I just installed them 10 days ago on my 2009 GTS and absolutely love them. I have Racingbrake 2piece rotors up front. The car stops on the dime. I will post an update if performance deteriorates, thus far noticeable better brake feel then OEM, really solid stopping power. Pulsation is typically related to worn or low quality rotors, not brake pads.

The symptoms you described, did that happened right away or over time? I really appreciate your feedback as glazed rotors definitely reduce stopping efficiency. I hope I don't have to replace these pads.

Last edited by Rossi; 02-15-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:04 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What weather conditions do you typically see with the brakes. No doubt - there are brakes out there that will stop better and have better feel than OEM. Where OEM shines is covering the entire range of usual driving conditions. EBC, Hawk - on previous cars, it was cold and wet where they often gave it up compared to OEM. Warm and dry - many pads will stop better and dust less. It's really dependent on what weather you see and what you want out of your pads.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Been very happy with the performance of the Centric Posi-Quiet ceramics. I first did the fronts first to see how they felt compared to the previous pads which were the Centric Posi-Quiet extended wear.

The difference was night and day. The ceramics are a far better pad than the extended wear. Compared to the Pagid pads, the ceramics don't have the initial grabiness and after bed-in, the performance has been consistent and linear with good bit once warm. I suspect either the semi-metallic or ceramics are both equally good (for me). I put the ceramics on the rears shortly after and now am happy with the braking performance. It's not expensive either at about $150 for front and rears.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:05 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Another vote for OE Porsche pads. Best all around performance. Good bite when cold, good when hot. Maybe not the best track pad, but since 99.9% of driving is not on the track a decent trade off.

I've had EBC's on other cars, and felt that the initial bite when cold was bad. The other consideration is rotor wear; with Porsche pads I can get 2-3 pad sets per rotor change. If that ratio changes for the worse, then my costs go way up.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:00 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Yeah I'm going with OE. I need good initial bite when cold because I live in a small town and there are frequent short trips. It was mentioned in a PM that I should probably get my rotors resurfaced. They only have about 2k miles of use and id rather avoid the cost. Is that a fools errand?
Old 02-16-2016, 12:45 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

It's $10-15 a rotor to get them resurfaced. That's really an issue?

Quick Reply: Feel the hate. Bosch quietcast pads are braking my heart.