Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlist Magazine? Please, feedback on the idea...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 02:48 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Rennlist Magazine? Please, feedback on the idea...!!!

If you folks follow any of the other Forums, the question arisis quite often as to can Rennlist have a magazine?". Hmmm - with 85,000+ users on the Rennlist mailing lists, another 16,000+ registered to the Rennlist Forums - that suggestion may have some merit.

Soooo - using Ngfan's excellent Cayenne write up as a "beta" article - I began playing with a "prototype". The "Rennlist Magazine" would be 4-color printed on high-quality coated stock, as well as be available electronically (in both high & lo-res PDF) as well as browser based. Rennlist Members would get a free "electronic" subscription and printed editions would also be available.

The content would include technical issues (all models (yes - including 914s, 928s, 924s - and the Cayenne)), social events, owner profiles, competitive events and unbiased articles regarding Porsche offerings, products, racing and the like. In short - a reflection of the worldwide Rennlist community itself.

If you'd like - you can take a look at the “prototype” here: https://rennlist.com/magazine/

And please, feel free to add your thoughts, comments and suggestions - but thought I'd post the link here, as the "prototype" used Ngfan's post as the Beta... Thanks Ngfan!!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 02:58 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

John, I think its a great idea, but do you have the time to do it ?, in my business we have tried a few times to get a simple mag together but alway run into content problems with little or no time to resolve before press time so they tend to die.

If you can then great, I would suggest inclusion of some "how-to" diy projects on popular models or an index with links to the website, I see them all the time but their is not really a spot (I know of) where this can be easily retrieved.

my 2c
Old 10-02-2003, 03:09 PM
Scott in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John if you sell it I will buy it. Hey it could be better than the other P-car related publications I get; Panorama, Excellence, 911 Porsche World.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:23 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John....

You know to sign me up for ad space, right? Love the idea.....
Old 10-02-2003, 03:27 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the feedback..! Please, keep it coming!

About the time required on my end - I believe so, but not without a lot of support. For example - Matt Olde will be assisting Editor, as he's got a terrific eye for design (you can see his "Rennlist Cards" here, for example : https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=90388 )

As well - Bob Chapman, a professional photographer, will be assisting with the photo's, graphics, etc. He's the one who has provided many of the opening pictures on the rennlist.com site. Also - many have asked if they can assist with articles - from DYI, Technical Articles, Social events - I even have "Sidvicious" who wants to take a stab at some Porsche owner satire...

So - yes - I think it's very possible, if it's done "right", if you know what I mean? However - I won't comprise on quality and content, and also want to provide it using "mixed" technologies - something very new and technically challenging....

My thanks again!
Old 10-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Great look John. I love the logo (linking the dot and the i)

For a enthusiest supported mag, look at "The Journal of Light Construction" as a model. Lots of info to chew on each issue. They also have a website (JLC.com ?)

Good luck...
Old 10-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Spizz Oil
Instructor

Yes great - go for it!
Old 10-03-2003, 06:24 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it might be time to play a little Devils Advocate here. This is sort of feedback but it is more to see what people really know. John and I discussed the idea of this magazine idea a long time ago. I thought I would let a few posts be made before saying anything myself.
I have a little bit of experience in this area so I feel I am qualified to present a few questions along with a few facts.
The single biggest killer of any magazine is the content. Either too little content or crap content. The biggest job for the magazine staff and especially the Editor is editing. This is hugely time consuming. The editor is "God". Every submitted article will have to be edited. Some will have to be rejected and editing is censorship. The editor has to be aware of many things especially in this case because it involves a company which jealously guards its own identity.
Trademark.
Copyright.
Libel.
Slander.
Censor requirements for language.
Liability.
Political correctness.
A slip up in any of these areas can cause immense trouble. Our club magazine in the UK was sued by an independent repair facility because he was criticised in an article submitted to the magazine.
Some contributors get very upset when their article is rejected or edited for any of the reasons I have listed plus others like;
Poor sentence structure.
Spelling.
Grammar in general.
Vague or confusing statements.
False statements.
there are many more.
Censorship rears its ugly head as well. This is particularily felt by Americans.
The editors job is to handle and rule on all these issues because the magazine editor regardless of size, origins etc of the magazine is the person in the hot seat every time an issue goes out.
So what is the point of all of this.
Understand the editors job. Learn to write properly. Help the editor by understanding there are limits to what you can and cannot write and in the end respect the editors judgement everytime.
If John can recruit contributors from around the world who respect his job and respect the institution of writing then the magazine will be a rip roaring success. Most important of all know now that it is the readership and the people of rennlist that will make or break this magazine.
John knows he has my full support and I hope the support he receives from rennlisters is genuine and substantial and if anyone complains in the future I will repost this post.
This is going to be a tough but rewarding job given the correct support.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: One little tip for all people who contribute. Spell check, grammar check and get somebody else to proof read it. Make sure they understand what you are getting at. If you stuff up it is in print forever and you cannot fix it once it has been published.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:58 AM
JeffES
Pro

Adrian -
Excellent post. I've been part of newsletters & magazines for years, and you've laid out the issues - it's damn difficult!
There are two keys to my mind - printing & distribution costs are very scalable, thus the ownership of most "speciality" mags by print/distribution companys. The result of these costs is that most small scale publications wind up owing more than income....
However (there's always a "but") - Rennlist may provide a "ready made base" of stable income while the printing/distribution costs are sorted out.

What this really boils down to is - why should I (or anyone) pick up "Renn ? Magazine out of a rack & pay for it (or subscribe). If this question can be answered, then Go for It!!!
J
Old 10-03-2003, 11:46 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd buy it and even try a contribution or two. I'd even discuss advertising in it...
Old 10-03-2003, 03:36 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

I would buy it as well for sure!. Like Adrian said there are many loopholes in editing... I would suggest that the magazine is more social with DIY projects instead of traditional P-Car magazine content. In other words focus on the Rennlist community and members instead of the products themselves...

Good luck we are with ya!
Old 10-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

I would be happy to help in any way that I can, as would my dealership. Please keep me posted.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I forgot to add John that you will need a range of sub editors to look after especially the technical content of any contributed article. Accurate technical information has to be of the highest priority.
Danny,
One the key areas of concern is DIY projects. I had to remove all the ones with safety implications from my book. Porsche schemes (with permission) is no problem but unverified DIY projects which impact vehicle safety are very difficult. An internal magazine procedure has to be established for such contributions.
An example: If somebody writes torque nut up to 400 ft lbs instead of 40 inch pounds and people start breaking things who is liable? It is even worse if that nut is a wheel nut and the data is unchecked and unverfied.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-04-2003, 10:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I would subscribe to a paper magazine. A fantastic idea!

Also, I LOVE the Rennlist cards. I talk about Rennlist with every P-car person I meet. Many have heard of Rennlist but some don't have a clue. Having cards would help spread the gospel.

Quick Reply: Rennlist Magazine? Please, feedback on the idea...!!!