Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 955 Air bag fault and gen'l weirdness

Old 01-09-2016, 11:14 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts
Default 06 955 Air bag fault and gen'l weirdness

What's the most common cause of an airbag fault? Just had an oil change I know the indy I used didn't hook up to clear codes or anything, can't imagine anything they could or would have done would be related so completely coincidental? But more general weirdness, the "lowbeam right" warning I had disappeared for no good reason, and the steering column now sets itself at startup where it didn't for ages. Just weird little stuff going on, couldn't care less about any of it except the airbag. Any ideas on that?

Funny, my interior is like new, fully pampered with leatherique, body is perfect, not a swirl. But my TTS is 10 now. Been expecting to need more maintenance eventually. Got me some gremlins I guess.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:42 AM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How old is your battery? The Cayenne seems to start throwing electrical gremlins when the battery gets weak.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Battery. Check this -- super easy: https://vimeo.com/115830153
Old 01-09-2016, 11:57 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Also, the air bag "butt-present" sensor in the seat bottoms are known to wear through and ground out to the seat frame. That, and a ton of info regarding a poor connector design.

I had both happen to me at different times. Connector gets cut off and the wires soldered. The section that gets worn through and grounds out got wrapped in electrical tape.

Or battery...
Old 01-09-2016, 12:13 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
Also, the air bag "butt-present" sensor in the seat bottoms are known to wear through and ground out to the seat frame. That, and a ton of info regarding a poor connector design.

I had both happen to me at different times. Connector gets cut off and the wires soldered. The section that gets worn through and grounds out got wrapped in electrical tape.

Or battery...
Or both.

Both make some sense. I just ran out of CPO about a year ago and have been testing various indys in the area. I had one, one I've since decided for a few reasons I won't be working with much, replace my battery early last year and overheard them at the time saying "see if this one works". Pissed me off but I didn't say anything. Didn't want to judge prematurely. But I've called them, will take it in to investigate this coming week.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

The column set up (and seat moving back and forth) on startup is controlled by a tiny button just in front of the tilt/tele switch. Easy enough to hit by mistake.

Airbag could easily be the seat sensor. I had the warning pop up after going through a roundabout rather enthusiastically, when I went into it with the Durametric, it gave me the "seat sensor" error. I reset it and it hasn't come back up...

Yet.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:22 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Or both.

Both make some sense. I just ran out of CPO about a year ago and have been testing various indys in the area. I had one, one I've since decided for a few reasons I won't be working with much, replace my battery early last year and overheard them at the time saying "see if this one works". Pissed me off but I didn't say anything. Didn't want to judge prematurely. But I've called them, will take it in to investigate this coming week.
Since you have a TTS some were supplied with 2 batteries. The other will be in the spare tire area.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:25 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
The column set up (and seat moving back and forth) on startup is controlled by a tiny button just in front of the tilt/tele switch. Easy enough to hit by mistake.

Airbag could easily be the seat sensor. I had the warning pop up after going through a roundabout rather enthusiastically, when I went into it with the Durametric, it gave me the "seat sensor" error. I reset it and it hasn't come back up...

Yet.
I've had four of these and never knew that button was there. Will have a look thanks.

I'm getting "airbag fault" not "seat sensor". Does that make a difference?
Old 01-09-2016, 02:58 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't say without a code. Connector issue and sensor issue will both pop up the airbag fault. Code will tell you if it passenger or driver's side.

Edit: I've never seen a "seat sensor" warning. I'd be surprised if it is that granular with the dash message.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
I've had four of these and never knew that button was there. Will have a look thanks.

I'm getting "airbag fault" not "seat sensor". Does that make a difference?
Dash said "Airbag Fault" in the display at startup, and the little airbag light was on constantly.

The "seat sensor" was what the Durametric told me when I hooked it up to reset the fault.
Reset it and the light/message has not come back.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:45 PM
driveline
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had passenger airbag fault. Not being sure and did not want to replace the airbag if I was not certain it was the problem. I researched tsb's and called the dealer. There is a TSB for the connectors under the seat. Called the dealer said the TSB's were completed under the PO.

When I took it to a mechanic he indicated that the connectors under the seat had been repaired at one time and looked good. I bit the bullet an bought the air bag and it worked no more code.

Now the CTT has something like 10 airbags. I hope this is not a sign that others will follow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 955 Air bag fault and gen'l weirdness