Sponsored by:

HAVE TO REPLACE BOTH HEADLIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I'm thinking about baking my housings to separate the lenses; my passenger side especially is really rough on the inside of the lens, so no amount of wetsanding and polishing the outside makes it look smooth again.
Too much work.

Recommend getting 2 new main headlight harnesses ($55 each delivered), disconnect them per many threads here from the interior bracket and ensure well seated, ensure bulbs are fresh or working and just get 2 new lamp housings. There are many many to choose from on eBay, some new, some good used or some aftermarket like I shared above (I'm considering those as I like the built in Daylight Led's and the black housing).

For instance here's something that peaks interest:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/150981466638
Old 12-26-2015, 10:18 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm thinking about baking my housings to separate the lenses; my passenger side especially is really rough on the inside of the lens, so no amount of wetsanding and polishing the outside makes it look smooth again.
Everything I read, you can't bake them open, the temperature to melt the glue is higher than the plastic, headlight will start melting first. Best recomendation is to cut the trim around the lens, remove as much glue as possible, then heat and pry off the cover.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:18 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I bought a pair on eBay from Valero who made OEM
Like the black led style but went with stock
Keep you updated
Old 12-27-2015, 10:23 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

My headlights work fine (I did have to do the harness tab mod on the driver's side to get it to stay seated), but they're just cloudy on the inside. I am very good at the whole wetsand and polish thing but recognized that even after getting the outsides nice and smooth, they still looked bad.

And I have a turbo, so I have the xenon and side light stuff...replacing the housing with OEM is $1100 a side and I can't imagine there is any aftermarket equivalent worth a flip that won't also cost an arm and a leg. Sure the valeo looks as good as OEM, but $900? That's like a tenth of the value of the whole car.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Doing the sand/polish is only part of the job to make them look good. You don't think your friendly dealer buys new headlights whenever one is traded in with cloudy ones do you? There are traveling dudes who just do headlights (like the traveling dudes who do wheel repairs) for used-car lots. While waiting for some repairs on the P!G while under CPO - I managed to chat with one of these guys who was doing a 911, and watch him do it.

They sand, lightly polish, then COAT the surface of the headlight with diluted clear-coat (cut 50%). Duplicolor sells a kit that offers the same thing. The most valuable part of the kit is the diluted clear-coat.

By diluting the clear coat you can spray a heavy coating that washes down the headlight surface, and that leaves a drip-free, dust-free finish that is resistant to UV attack. If the finish isn't perfect - you can follow it up with a 2nd coat, then cut/polish it just like a detailer would do paint. Mine wasn't perfect - a bit of orange peel in a visible spot. Cut it with 2000 paper, then hit it with Dupont Glaze (a very fine polish) used on a high-speed non-orbital polisher. You have to take some care with this type of polisher - you can burn paint with it.

End result - they look pretty damn good. I'm not unhappy with the results.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

My headlights work fine (I did have to do the harness tab mod on the driver's side to get it to stay seated), but they're just cloudy on the inside. I am very good at the whole wetsand and polish thing but recognized that even after getting the outsides nice and smooth, they still looked bad. And I have a turbo, so I have the xenon and side light stuff...replacing the housing with OEM is $1100 a side and I can't imagine there is any aftermarket equivalent worth a flip that won't also cost an arm and a leg. Sure the valeo looks as good as OEM, but $900? That's like a tenth of the value of the whole car.
Valeo is oem (same) for most Porsche cayenne's
Old 12-28-2015, 12:16 PM
phL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default old headlight housings

and glasses - are you interested in parting with them? i am looking for a set for a project, so that would be a great opportunity.

please PM me,

thanks,

Phil
Old 12-28-2015, 05:04 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Anyone have a link to the tab mod? That is a additional problem
Thanks
Old 12-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Originally Posted by Chaos
Anyone have a link to the tab mod? That is a additional problem Thanks
This one is pretty thorough. And you don't need a Dremel, a sharp utility knife is enough to trim the plastic off the sides of the harness...

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...going-out.html

Quick Reply: HAVE TO REPLACE BOTH HEADLIGHTS