Sponsored by:

2005 CTT vs 2008 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
That 955 is pricey better come with free massages.
If you are talking about the Turbo S, my local dealer had a blue one with even more miles 120k and was listed at $24,995. It didn't last till the end of the week. I too thought it was over priced but it sold rather quickly.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:18 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Is saving a bit more and going for a 958 na a option for you? Really no comparison in many respects, but the 958 will cost allot more.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:28 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got off the phone with the owner of the 2005 CTT. He bought it two years ago and apparently had an extended warranty that covered just about anything. He described a lot of maintenance and coils, cardan shaft bearing, plugs, ECU replaced early in it's life, ABS control unit replaced within the last 2 years, brakes, rear tires are new, fronts are due to be replaced. But, he said the plastic coolant lines were not replaced by him and when he figured out that was an issue, the dealership told him they weren't done and if they hadn't gone by now they wouldn't! I believe that he believes that, he is not mechanical, I could tell over the phone.

But no LCA's, no fuel pump, no starter. He went looking for some additional paperwork and is supposed to call me back. This stuff is all back of the envelope, not actual service records, although he does have a carfax from when he bought it. Will the dealer reveal anything to the current owner with a vin#? He sounds pretty firm on $19k.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:32 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV
I keep going back and forth. I want the nicer interior and newer tech, but this is my first bigger vehicle in a while. I spent 5 years in an e39 540/6 and the last 2 in an e90 330i. I'm thinking going for the cheaper one and moving up later. I bought the 540 when it was 10 years old, one of th best I've owned.
Owning both, I'd get the 957 with pdcc. But not with grey interior and over 25k.

Btw, E39 was my favourite car ever.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV
...But, he said the plastic coolant lines were not replaced by him and when he figured out that was an issue, the dealership told him they weren't done and if they hadn't gone by now they wouldn't! I believe that he believes that, he is not mechanical, I could tell over the phone...
Ummm...

No. Ain't no "if" on the coolant pipes. It's a "when"
I get the impression you already know this, but I want to make sure.

My understanding is that they may go early, but somewhere in the 120k range is max.

I did mine a couple months ago pre-emptively. 05 w/105k at the time. The "larger small one" was extremely fragile & brittle. It broke taking the hose off the back end and after it was out I could snap chunks off with my thumb and index finger.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:51 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Ummm...

No. Ain't no "if" on the coolant pipes. It's a "when"
I get the impression you already know this, but I want to make sure.

My understanding is that they may go early, but somewhere in the 120k range is max.

I did mine a couple months ago pre-emptively. 05 w/105k at the time. The "larger small one" was extremely fragile & brittle. It broke taking the hose off the back end and after it was out I could snap chunks off with my thumb and index finger.
That's what I thought, just making sure. At $19k needing coolant pipes, it's a non-starter. What's interesting to me is it seems like prices are about $5000 higher than what most people are saying CTT's are worth on the board here. There are 2 or 3 nice 2008's that fit the bill for me in CA, but I'm in Missouri near St. Louis. Acquisition costs are high!

I just spotted a 2008 that checks all the boxes in TX at a used car dealer. 90K miles and they want $30,888. Dallas is easy to get to and only about an 8 hour drive back home. I'm going to call them and get some scoop. Anyone know of a good independent in Dallas to do a PPI?
Old 12-04-2015, 06:17 PM
KarlJC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that most Private Party sellers are asking $5-$10K more that what they should be at first, after not selling for several months they start coming down in price. Dealers always ask to much.

In Ca I was seeing Private Party nice well cared for low mile (50-60K miles) CTT selling for

- 04-05 CTT in $15 - $20K
- 06 CTT in $20 - $25K
- 08-09 CTT in $28 - $35K+

Add another $5-$10K if it was a CTTS

Also when I was looking I did not want a CTT that had been in a cold weather climate, if you read about the issues with Cayenne cylinder failures its often from cold weather climate cars. It may be worth $1000+ using U Ship it to get one out of warm weather state ?
Old 12-04-2015, 06:25 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. I told the dealer in Dallas I would be interested at $25K. No maintenance records, but he volunteered to take it to the Porsche dealership to see if it needed anything.

I've convinced myself that if I'm getting an 08, I want all the goodies, which means PDCC. That's been the hardest thing to come by. If I didn't care about that, it would open things up quite a bit.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:16 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

For me it is a plus if the coolant pipes have not been done as you know coolant has not been everywhere. That said they would have to be replaced immediately. Like get it home and do them. If you can DIY it is not too costly. Bargain $2000 or so for that. Another plus is if the starter turns over fast there is no reason to change it. If you do get that one do the coolant Ts at the same time. On my 05 they went at about 110,000 miles.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlJC
I would say that most Private Party sellers are asking $5-$10K more that what they should be at first, after not selling for several months they start coming down in price. Dealers always ask to much.

In Ca I was seeing Private Party nice well cared for low mile (50-60K miles) CTT selling for

- 04-05 CTT in $15 - $20K
- 06 CTT in $20 - $25K
- 08-09 CTT in $28 - $35K+

Add another $5-$10K if it was a CTTS

Also when I was looking I did not want a CTT that had been in a cold weather climate, if you read about the issues with Cayenne cylinder failures its often from cold weather climate cars. It may be worth $1000+ using U Ship it to get one out of warm weather state ?
If you can find a 04-05 CTT with under 60k miles for that let me know. That would be the bargain of the century where I'm at! Those kind of cars with low miles sell within days at even 25k but there is probably more supply in California so its probably a supply/demand economics thing. When I bought mine I wish I could of snatched one up at that price.

To the OP at the very least make sure the coolant pipes have been done. If you find one with coolant pipes, water pump, and valve cover gaskets that would definitely save you a lot of headache.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:21 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Once a car is 955 old, mileage is less important than the maintenance it has received. I would take a 100k miles car with full records over a low mileage specimen without any. Stuff wears out based on age just as much as wear in some cases.

Btw, OP - you know how to ID a 957 with PDCC right? (Hint: the all silver suspension controls)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:47 AM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Once a car is 955 old, mileage is less important than the maintenance it has received. I would take a 100k miles car with full records over a low mileage specimen without any. Stuff wears out based on age just as much as wear in some cases.

Btw, OP - you know how to ID a 957 with PDCC right? (Hint: the all silver suspension controls)
Thanks for the tip, I figured out the PDCC thing a couple days ago.

So I've found another candidate. I'm on the learning curve here, so bare with me. I've been reading and processing some of the sage advice from people like you and wrinkled pants. Found a 2006 CTTS with 133k miles. Carfax says it was serviced regularly at Pcar dealer in FL. First owner drove it 7 years and 16k miles per. Second owner, also in FL, had it for a little over 2 years and barely drove it, 5k a year or so. Sold at auction and at a big used dealer In Chicago. That's a prettyeasy fly up and drive home for me. They actually have darn good reviews for a used dealer. It looks great in pics, but don't they all? Black on black. Asking is just under $20k. This seems to fit the advice I've gleaned here. Thoughts?
Old 12-06-2015, 11:21 AM
KarlJC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top of your price range but it looks like it has all you want .....

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5345969826.html

This one is Tuned and ready to fly ......

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5343101924.html
Old 12-06-2015, 12:07 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Found a 2006 CTTS with 133k miles.
Thoughts?
Used up.
Are you looking for something to keep for many years and put 100K+ miles on it or something that will go another 20K to 30K before you have to give it away. As far as age related issues, you're looking at vehicles that are only around 10 years old with soft parts made from modern polymers, not 30 year old classics with rotting rubber parts.
You've obviously been doing a lot of research. How many Cayennes have you seen for sale with over 160K miles?
I'm sure someone will now chime in on how they know of Cayennes with 200K miles...yep, and I know of Pintos with 300K miles but that's the ultra rare exception.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:38 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd wouldn't put too much value in the extended warranty without close review of the work it covered. An '05 is several years too old to have had recent Porsche CPO coverage so it was likely a commercial warranty that may have precluded non-vital repairs because the deductible. Porsche CPO. otoh, is gold.

I'd also personally pass on any car with what I considered an unattractive interior color...you'll be reminded every time you get it.

Quick Reply: 2005 CTT vs 2008 CTT