Sponsored by:

Cayenne Diesel Stop Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 05:51 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayenne Diesel Stop Sale

I have a 16 CD on order on the boat at the moment. Just got a call from the dealer saying Porsche just issued a voluntary stop sale on the car until everything is ironed out. They are giving me my deposit back since who knows how long it is going to take.

Sad day.......
Old 11-03-2015, 06:47 PM
timwu12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy crap, it just got real.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but I guess anything to save the environment, right?
Old 11-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Brad Waite
Intermediate

Default Stop Sale

Interesting. I have one on order with a 1/1 delivery date. Guess I'll keep driving the 08 Cayenne GTS. This is turning into the biggest corporate governance debacle since the Exxon Valdez.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:55 PM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Yep, it's hit the press: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/03/p...sel-stop-sale/
Old 11-03-2015, 11:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

VW disagrees - Now VW counters: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/02/v...tdi-emissions/

And they are probably right and the EPA wrong.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:35 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
VW disagrees - Now VW counters: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/02/v...tdi-emissions/

And they are probably right and the EPA wrong.
Actually VW's claim was yesterday, Monday. Porsche's stop sale is today, Tuesday. I am not going to go into VW vs EPA since I don't know much about how the tests are conducted and what are the requirements. Just based on the fact that Porsche has a stop sale while Audi and VW continues selling the V-6 powered models, I got this feeling that Porsche is quite concerned about its image. The Cayenne accounts for a big chunk of its profits. Anything that affects this goose will get immediate response. Who knows, Porsche may just walk away from diesels all together in the NA market.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:20 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well if anyone just can't wait until this is resolved, I have a 2013 I'll sell for a 'slight' availability premium
Old 11-04-2015, 05:44 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

My wife and I each drive a Cayenne diesel and will continue. They are focusing on the '15 Cayenne diesel yet we have found that our '14 actually gets better mileage than the '15 Go figure.

The bigger issue is why the government is coming down so hard on VW. No one was injured or killed and no property was damaged. The government gave GM a slight slap on the wrist yet they hid the fact of the faulty ignition switches which contributed to the death of 24 people. One must remember the liberal motto " It is the seriousness of the charge rather than the validity of the evidence" and thus with no concrete facts VW is guilty and GM innocent

Last edited by f4 plt; 11-04-2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 11-04-2015, 08:15 AM
GDF
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is too bad. VW's lack of integrity is probably going to hurt diesel sales of all manufacturers in North America, especially people that are new to diesel. We were so close to buying a CD this year.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:33 AM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Originally Posted by f4 plt
The bigger issue is why the government is coming down so hard on VW. No one was injured or killed and no property was damaged. The government gave GM a slight slap on the wrist yet they hid the fact of the faulty ignition switches which contributed to the death of 24 people. One must remember the liberal motto " It is the seriousness of the charge rather than the validity of the evidence" and thus with no concrete facts VW is guilty and GM innocent
What? No concrete facts? When it comes to the smaller diesel engines, Volkswagen openly admitted there was a cheat device active. They have found that these 3.0L diesels are noncompliant as well, but they haven't issued a stop-sale order yet as they work with VW to confirm results. Porsche is doing this voluntarily presumably until a verdict is reached.

And why is almost every first-world gov't coming down so hard on VW right now? Because they willing lied and collected tax credits for these "clean" diesels. FOR YEARS.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:57 AM
snzuloz
Instructor

Originally Posted by GDF
That is too bad. VW's lack of integrity is probably going to hurt diesel sales of all manufacturers in North America, especially people that are new to diesel. We were so close to buying a CD this year.
I would bet that VW isn't alone in this... if they started testing other manufacturers "properly" they would find all are skewed to some extent.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:21 AM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Originally Posted by snzuloz
I would bet that VW isn't alone in this... if they started testing other manufacturers "properly" they would find all are skewed to some extent.
Unfortunately for VW there's a difference between vehicles that only perform well in the test and vehicles that use cheat devices so that they are only compliant when they sense they're being tested.

Put it this way:

Every manufacturer has to take a written test. Everyone is given the questions on the test beforehand.

Other manufacturers:
-Study very hard for the test using the given questions
-Ace the test
-Can't answer random questions related to material tested because they only studied to answer the given questions

Volkswagen
-Got the answers to the test ahead of time from someone else and wrote them on their hand
-Can't answer any questions whatsoever because they simply cheated
Old 11-04-2015, 09:28 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

Car is worth about 20k this morning. Very sad for those who own one and money matters.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:32 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
What? No concrete facts? When it comes to the smaller diesel engines, Volkswagen openly admitted there was a cheat device active. They have found that these 3.0L diesels are noncompliant as well, but they haven't issued a stop-sale order yet as they work with VW to confirm results. Porsche is doing this voluntarily presumably until a verdict is reached.

And why is almost every first-world gov't coming down so hard on VW right now? Because they willing lied and collected tax credits for these "clean" diesels. FOR YEARS.
I don't disagree about the small engines, as to the cayenne there is a voluntary service issue concerning the temp of the "ad blu" in cold climates .
Old 11-04-2015, 09:56 AM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I don't disagree about the small engines, as to the cayenne there is a voluntary service issue concerning the temp of the "ad blu" in cold climates .
Not sure what you're talking about. Porsche isn't selling diesel Cayennes in direct response to this charge:

EPA notice of violation for the 3.0 liter engines

Take a look at the 3rd paragraph below. Read it carefully: If this doesn't sound like institutionalized cheating, I don't know what is. The information in the 4th and 5th paragraphs seem to confirm it is a test-sensing ECU that specifically runs in very different modes for the SCR temperature, injection timing, EGR valve, and even the fuel rail pressure. That is a HUGE amount of parameters to change. I don't see how anyone at VW can read this letter and then immediately claim there was no cheating on their ECUs.

Name:  tOMn7O2.png
Views: 8
Size:  607.6 KB

We will see though, VW has time to rebut the charges.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel Stop Sale