EPA adds Diesel Cayenne to Out of Spec Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Read the whole history. This has been going on for years and VW has been denying and obfuscating until until there was finally empirical 3rd party evidence against them. Even then they claimed it was only the non-urea motors. Then they claimed that the 3.0 v6 wasn't involved. They have been far from transparent and honest at all through this process until they are caught in such a manner that they can't avoid it any more. The best thing they could have done was recall and really fix the cars when the issue first started to come to light years ago. That would have at least saved them the damage to their brand of being proven as cheats and liars. The next best thing they could have done is releasing a full list of impacted cars when this blew up.
I've tried to read as much as possible, but didn't read it like that. But reporting has been heavy on sensationalism and short on fact so I haven't really found any good sources. If you have links, I would appreciate.

My thought on this situation is that if they are denying it, they had better have a leg to stand on since their pants are completely down right now....
Old 11-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is ridiculous. Go home EPA, you're drunk.

Also looking forward to the drop in price so I can pick one up next year! Sorry for whoever is going to take a loss on it!

Old 11-03-2015, 11:33 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it a given that the 3.0 Diesel can be made compliant, especially in CA? CARB diesel limits kept diesels of the US market for years (except for 3/4 ton pickups).
Old 11-03-2015, 11:42 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
This is ridiculous. Go home EPA, you're drunk.

Also looking forward to the drop in price so I can pick one up next year! Sorry for whoever is going to take a loss on it!

Me too. The price of diesel is again lower than regular. For years, it was up to 10% more than premium and negated diesel economy for avg mileage driving.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:25 PM
b-man
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by williamr91
Too bad for VW Group, so buying for those of you that bought the Diesel, was MPG really that important? Or did you expect your cake and to eat it as well (performance/efficiency), or lastly just want to say you own a Porsche?

I ask because, if it was just for MPG's why not save quite a bit of money and buy a loaded Toureg or TDI of some sort, or hell another brand completely? Before the EPA issues came up, were you unhappy with the MPG's? Just curious of the logic, I don't own or want a DC, just curious what is so upsetting to diesel owners (I've not looked much into it, so don't take this offensively).
I bought mine (a 2016 CD) primarily for its size and long term reliability, and the fact that it drives and handles very well for a vehicle of its size. I sold a 911 for it.

My reasons for buying it have nothing to do with mileage, the environment or the brand. If it did, I would have bought this:

http://store.ferrari.com/us_en/ferra...-bike-red.html

Initially, I wanted to buy an SUV from some manufacturer other than Porsche. But I looked at everything objectively (ignoring initial cost) and the CD was the best answer. But I am also curious, if you think there is a better vehicle for me, what is it? This is assuming you can answer without further projecting your insecurities on others.

I am following this VW diesel issue. But I am not losing any sleep over it.

The only thing I feel strongly about is that I will try hard to avoid taking my vehicle in to a dealer for any adjustments, reprogramming, etc. because of this issue. I am very happy with my CD.

b-man
Old 11-03-2015, 01:07 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by b-man
I bought mine (a 2016 CD) primarily for its size and long term reliability
The old school diesels from Mercedes that created the great rep for diesel reliability and longevity were far, far simpler and extremely heavy engines. I had two with a total of 600K miles. Complex, light TDI engines have a long way to go to earn the utterly bullet-proof rep of the old MB 5 cyl. 3.0. I did love the TDI torque in our Jetta...old NA diesels were exercises in humility.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Traded my '15 pepper diesel 4 weeks ago on a rover td6 Didn't take a big hit on a less than year old truck I feared this was coming and bailed Residuals will certainly go down quite a lot Dodged a bullet Stupid Porsche
Aren't you just the hero......
Old 11-03-2015, 05:03 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
The old school diesels from Mercedes that created the great rep for diesel reliability and longevity were far, far simpler and extremely heavy engines. I had two with a total of 600K miles. Complex, light TDI engines have a long way to go to earn the utterly bullet-proof rep of the old MB 5 cyl. 3.0. I did love the TDI torque in our Jetta...old NA diesels were exercises in humility.
Yeah i had a 76 240d that was cherry and an 85 300td. The non turbo certainly couldnt get out of its way but the turbo had some scoot. Still though the fuel economy on those old diesels wasnt actually that good even if the engines last forever.. Still, I have a huge soft spot for those mid 70's-mid 80's merc diesels.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:39 PM
b-man
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
The old school diesels from Mercedes that created the great rep for diesel reliability and longevity were far, far simpler and extremely heavy engines. I had two with a total of 600K miles. Complex, light TDI engines have a long way to go to earn the utterly bullet-proof rep of the old MB 5 cyl. 3.0.
I agree. But in reality, the reliability doesn't have to be as good as the older European diesels . . . just better than anything else out there in its vehicle class currently, which I think it is.

I have talked to mechanics (both Porsche and non-Porsche) and they all tell me that the 3.0 diesel V6 engine in the current Cayennes is extremely reliable. That engine has been around in different variations (and different vehicles) for quite some time now.

Also, I think the CD is the only current Cayenne model that comes with the Japanese Aisin transmission (which is supposedly better than the ZF in other Cayennes and competitors).

b-man
Old 11-03-2015, 06:58 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

I think that it's not just cayenne that's affected, it's all the diesels regardless of brand - bmw, mb, subaru...
VW will take a hit, deduct it from taxes, shake it off and be back in the game in no time.
Enviro agencies will go with "more realistic gas mileage estimates" and "real world emission test conditions" meaning they will go silently higher as no manufacturer would be able to meet the lower ones.
And the world will keep on turning
Old 11-03-2015, 10:28 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see other brands having the dishonesty that VW has had. I almost bought a diesel cayenne. I presume that with resale detriment, i could just get a regular cayenne, and despite the worse MPG< I would save on resale. Cayenne diesel seemed perfect. Too good to be true.

It is just so disappointing. The effects on the environment, the lack of trust. I just don't know how this could have happened, and was deemed acceptable in the company. What a disappointment for such a great car company. Love the 911s. Always will. It is just so disappointing.

Last edited by sambb; 11-03-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

The Cayenne Diesel has a urea injection system (Ad-Blue) and is probably fully compliant with current rules. I would not be surprised if the EPA and CARB are on an additional fishing expedition to hammer another nail on private transportation. Their ultimate agenda is to put all on limited range golf carts and stuff everyone in ultra-dense mega cities. It's an new religion.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:03 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The Cayenne Diesel has a urea injection system (Ad-Blue) and is probably fully compliant with current rules. I would not be surprised if the EPA and CARB are on an additional fishing expedition to hammer another nail on private transportation. Their ultimate agenda is to put all on limited range golf carts and stuff everyone in ultra-dense mega cities. It's an new religion.
I am not sure I agree. VW has admitted that they cheated already on other engines. They are known cheaters by their own admissions. I understand that you are stating that they are probably compliant, but the company has no credibility - they knowingly have cheated for years and years, to the detriment of society. They aren't credible and look what they have ruined. It is disappointing in so many ways.

I hope they are right and diesels are ok, but how in the heck can we believe them. It is just so confusing. I hope they succeed and all is ok. I wish them well, but they should have never been here to begin with.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:04 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by sambb
I am not sure I agree. VW has admitted that they cheated already on other engines. They are known cheaters by their own admissions. I understand that you are stating that they are probably compliant, but the company has no credibility - they knowingly have cheated for years and years, to the detriment of society. They aren't credible and look what they have ruined. It is disappointing in so many ways.

I hope they are right and diesels are ok, but how in the heck can we believe them. It is just so confusing. I hope they succeed and all is ok. I wish them well, but they should have never been here to begin with.
I agree that if they cheated - as they did in the 2L engine - they should correct it. But I have a hard time to believe a urea catalyzed system does not comply.

I am not absolving VW but I would like the EPA to check other brands' compliance too...

To wit... diesel passenger car NOx emmissions accounts for less than 1% of the Nix emmisiions created by trains, truck fleets and industry. As an engineer I would think that even modest NOx reductions in the latter would be more significant than major reductions in the former, but what do I know!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:59 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the EPA and CARB are on an additional fishing expedition to hammer another nail on private transportation. Their ultimate agenda is to put all on limited range golf carts and stuff everyone in ultra-dense mega cities. It's an new religion.
This.
They simply cannot understand why we're all too ignorant to understand the shining superiority of public transit; similarly, the next step will be to 'introduce', then 'support', then 'suggest', then ultimately mandate self-driving vehicles. Ideally, with the alluring style of a Checker Marathon.
It's just the egalitarian thing to do, is it not so, Comrade Citizen?

As for me: They'll drag my dead a** out of my primitive, overpowered, inefficient manual transmission 911 when they get past the 'optional equipment' in the side pocket provided by my CCW permit.

Quick Reply: EPA adds Diesel Cayenne to Out of Spec Cars