EPA adds Diesel Cayenne to Out of Spec Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by williamr91
Too bad for VW Group, so buying for those of you that bought the Diesel, was MPG really that important? Or did you expect your cake and to eat it as well (performance/efficiency), or lastly just want to say you own a Porsche?

I ask because, if it was just for MPG's why not save quite a bit of money and buy a loaded Toureg or TDI of some sort, or hell another brand completely? Before the EPA issues came up, were you unhappy with the MPG's? Just curious of the logic, I don't own or want a DC, just curious what is so upsetting to diesel owners (I've not looked much into it, so don't take this offensively).
Your question is so offensive I don't even know where to begin.

Note, saying "don't take offense" does not make what you wrote less offensive.

I'll write more later, but what is upsetting is the loss of residual value, and the potential loss of performance or MPG due to whatever "fix" might be mandated. And while you think "I'll just not do the fix, I like my car", it's entirely within the right of the EPA to allow your car to not be registered again if you do not show documented proof of the fix.

And the residual value issue is going to hit you unless you leased, or unless you plan on keeping your car forever. Thankfully we planned on keeping it.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:00 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
UPDATE: Volkswagen has denied the EPA's allegations, saying in a statement that "no software has been installed in the 3-liter V6 diesel power units to alter emissions characteristics in a forbidden manner." The company also said it would continue to cooperate with the EPA's ongoing investigations.
Hopefully true, but they've been denying their way up to this point so I'd know how much their word is worth at the moment...
Old 11-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Hopefully true, but they've been denying their way up to this point so I'd know how much their word is worth at the moment...
They didn't deny anything about the 2 liter engines. They admitted it as soon As EPA made the announcement.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts

If they end up being clear on 3.0L engines

The epa announcement will still take a negative hit on resale, unfortunately

Vw fu$&ed up bad
Old 11-02-2015, 08:11 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Traded my '15 pepper diesel 4 weeks ago on a rover td6
How do you like it? Wife wants me to trade our X5d in for one.

FWIW to the poster who asked, torque is what you want in a 5,000lb vehicle. Mid-20s MPG in a 5,000lb vehicle is impressive, and 600 mile runs between stops are great. Personally, I went for an X5d over the Cayenne due to more utility from the less-sloping rear window. I also think the X5 looks better inside and out, and I can't stand the Porsche dealers around here. Price and quick special order/delivery due to US factory was icing on the cake.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A vast majority of passenger vehicles would fail emission level at WOT across the board. The tests are practically designed to be gamed. If the EPA actually comprehensively tested diesel AND gasoline cars in actual real world conditions there would be some serious hell to pay... its definitely not just VW. I suspect the 3.0L diesel is just one of the first vehicles to receive actual scrutiny like this and may not specifically have a defeat device.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
They didn't deny anything about the 2 liter engines. They admitted it as soon As EPA made the announcement.
Read the whole history. This has been going on for years and VW has been denying and obfuscating until until there was finally empirical 3rd party evidence against them. Even then they claimed it was only the non-urea motors. Then they claimed that the 3.0 v6 wasn't involved.

They have been far from transparent and honest at all through this process until they are caught in such a manner that they can't avoid it any more. The best thing they could have done was recall and really fix the cars when the issue first started to come to light years ago. That would have at least saved them the damage to their brand of being proven as cheats and liars. The next best thing they could have done is releasing a full list of impacted cars when this blew up.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
How do you like it? Wife wants me to trade our X5d in for one.

FWIW to the poster who asked, torque is what you want in a 5,000lb vehicle. Mid-20s MPG in a 5,000lb vehicle is impressive, and 600 mile runs between stops are great. Personally, I went for an X5d over the Cayenne due to more utility from the less-sloping rear window. I also think the X5 looks better inside and out, and I can't stand the Porsche dealers around here. Price and quick special order/delivery due to US factory was icing on the cake.
I love the rr diesel..I refused to buy one until my wife begged to sell her Macan on a sport td6

I liked it so much I bought a full size for myself

They are quirky trucks, very different than a Porsche and fit a different type of driver

Full size rover is the best riding vehicle I have owned, like a big town car..but I have other cars to fill my Porsche need
Old 11-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Traded my '15 pepper diesel 4 weeks ago on a rover td6

Didn't take a big hit on a less than year old truck

I feared this was coming and bailed

Residuals will certainly go down quite a lot

Dodged a bullet

Stupid Porsche
How to you like the rover td6?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:26 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Izzone;12724097]If they end up being clear on 3.0L engines

The epa announcement will still take a negative hit on resale, unfortunately

Vw fu$&ed up bad[/QUOTE

No offense to any current CD owners but if this news drives the price of these vehicles down it means I can afford one earlier!
Old 11-02-2015, 11:04 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think the EPA knows what they are doing they don't. When they finally figure out what the real specs are many cars and trucks will not pass and the final result will be a relaxing of the specs for a while. Just my personal prediction.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:11 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

The EPA brought this upon themselves. They are constantly demanding regulations that are not possible in the real world. The EPA and it's ideologues have an end game and it does not include fossil fueled personal transportation.
Rather than rolling over maybe there should be a revolt.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:20 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Might be good news for me as I'm thinking about adding a CD (for the wife) to go with my CTTS. Sorry for anyone with a CD that is thinking of selling or trading in as it may be bad. But if I owned one I think I would keep it, or sell it to me cheap
Old 11-02-2015, 11:20 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife bought a '15 diesel on my recommendation. She is a huge environmentalist. This news will not be good.
Just for the record: Purchasing a used vehicle which has already been produced is better for the environment than having an additional new vehicle produced, virtually regardless of the 'cleanliness' of the exhaust.
But of course, advertising that on television wouldn't sell very many new SUVs now, would it?

Purchased my '03 this year. Just call me "Nature Boy".
Old 11-03-2015, 12:41 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EPA adds Diesel Cayenne to Out of Spec Cars

Nm

Last edited by raleighBahn; 11-03-2015 at 12:58 AM.

Quick Reply: EPA adds Diesel Cayenne to Out of Spec Cars