Anyone else have a Steering column replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:21 PM
dubl07
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone else have a Steering column replacement

Hi,
15 mins after parking the other day, i get back in to pull out and car would not crank. Wouldnt even turn on beyond the dash and radio.
After towing it to the dealer, found out 'steering lock failure' was the culprit.
The repair requires the whole steering column to be replaced, including the kessr Computer.

Was quoted 4800 parts and labor.
Ive seen a few other people that had it done for around 3k. Anyone have an invoice or input on the price.
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Mpfaff (07-14-2019)
Old 10-29-2015, 04:57 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...g-column-work/

Cliff notes: you can replace just the lock mechanism without removing the entire steering column, but you still must purchase a brand new column.

Keep us updated on the fix.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:11 PM
dubl07
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 957austin
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...g-column-work/

Cliff notes: you can replace just the lock mechanism without removing the entire steering column, but you still must purchase a brand new column.

Keep us updated on the fix.
Interesting. Thank you for the feedback.
Anyone have a part number for the column. Or link to buy it.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:58 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Pretty sure it's 95534700720. Looks like the going rate is roughly $1400-1600

http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/oe...FQeKaQodDqoL0A
Old 12-09-2015, 11:08 PM
dubl07
Intermediate

It ended up being the steering lock mechanism. Failed, required replacement of steering column and computer for about $4500 after discounts.

Hurt the wallet a bit but havent had any problems since.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:48 PM
BionicTulip
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Quoted $9,350 for this replacement -- O_o

My '08 Cayenne Turbo immobilized itself. Flatbedded it to Porsche of Warrington, PA. After a week, they just quoted me $9,352 to replace the steering column and Kessy control unit.

I'm speechless. I scarcely even know how to respond to that. Any helpful suggestions?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.speedosolutions.com/REMA...al-_p_112.html
Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Here are three plans for getting it fixed:

Plan A
1. Go get a bottle of your favorite **** lube
2. Let the dealer bend you over for almost 10 thousand dollars

Plan B
0. Fill a grocery bag full of dog and cat feces.
1. Go back to the dealer and ask to see every single person involved in that estimate.
2. Get said people in a circle.
3. Swing the sh!tbag around like a medieval mace and try to hit all of the human sh1tbags in the face at least once before it explodes on one of them.
4. Call a flatbed to take your car back to your house.
5. Hire one of the avid members on here who knows whats up and fly them out to your house with a case of cold beer waiting (I am sure someone will take you up on this for less than $9k...)
6. Ask them to to replace the relays or hall sensors that have failed in the board (~ $25)
7. Drive back to the dealership to tell them that they are crooks. If you feel so inclined bring some horse **** this time.

Plan C

1. Do some searching on here
2. Buy some tools and learn how to work on your car
3. Take the relatively cheap and easy way out using the speedo solutions replacement module

Plan B sounds like the most fun to me, but it is your call. Remember, we don't call them stealerships for nothing!
Old 06-13-2019, 09:27 PM
BionicTulip
Track Day

Default Decisions decisions

Plan A is a bad plan. But Plans B and C both have their own appeal. I'm pretty comfortable doing some work, and will probably try the speedosolutions option first.

Nine thousand effing dollars. It's so absurd I'm still laughing about it.

I'll come back and update. (But don't let that stop any of the rest of you from posting plans D and E.)

Originally Posted by nodoors
Here are three plans for getting it fixed:

Plan A
Plan B
Plan C

Plan B sounds like the most fun to me, but it is your call. Remember, we don't call them stealerships for nothing!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:50 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

File a complaint with the NHTSA. Be very specific in the comments.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:15 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Called a dealer that sells discount Porsche parts the other day in Las Vegas. I happen to be from Las Vegas so I still have that area code on my cell number. I was calling to inquire about stock of trailer hitch bolts that were priced @ ~$4.50 each on their website before I placed the order. When I gave him the part # to check stock and told him I needed 8 he responded with "we will have to order those and it will be $163 for 8". I responded with " I was just calling to check stock before I order online where they are listed on your site for ~$4.50 ea." There was a most awkward extended moment of silence at that point before I said " I will go ahead and place the order online, thank you".

They must have their discount parts website blocked to Las Vegas IP adresses and when he saw my area code figured that is where I was. LOL - frickin' cracked me up and the bolts came super fast like he had them next day aired to him from the wharehouse before they shipped to me. But I will never forget the "Cost of being on the cutting edge VS. Bleeding edge and do I know the difference" speech I got from one of the board sponsors here. I wonder if that speech is still given as part of that individual's sales strategy?
Old 06-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Called a dealer that sells discount Porsche parts the other day in Las Vegas. I happen to be from Las Vegas so I still have that area code on my cell number. I was calling to inquire about stock of trailer hitch bolts that were priced @ ~$4.50 each on their website before I placed the order. When I gave him the part # to check stock and told him I needed 8 he responded with "we will have to order those and it will be $163 for 8". I responded with " I was just calling to check stock before I order online where they are listed on your site for ~$4.50 ea." There was a most awkward extended moment of silence at that point before I said " I will go ahead and place the order online, thank you".

They must have their discount parts website blocked to Las Vegas IP adresses and when he saw my area code figured that is where I was. LOL - frickin' cracked me up and the bolts came super fast like he had them next day aired to him from the wharehouse before they shipped to me. But I will never forget the "Cost of being on the cutting edge VS. Bleeding edge and do I know the difference" speech I got from one of the board sponsors here. I wonder if that speech is still given as part of that individual's sales strategy?
Maybe he was selling you a box of 36

*grin*
Old 06-14-2019, 12:03 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My steering lock was faulty, I was able to fix it for about $8 and the cost of a Durametric diagnostic cable ($280)

In my case it was the relays that send power to the steering lock motor. The lock relay was bad, and so the steering lock wouldn't lock. The cars alarm system would read this and brick the car, so you couldn't drive it and have it inadvertently lock the column while driving.

If your column is in the lock position, this is a little more difficult, but if it is in the unlocked position, then this is pretty easy to fix.

Here's the short version:
  1. Under the dash there is a shiny metal box attached to the steering column with tamper proof bolts, you have to Dremel a slot in these bolts to remove the lock.
  2. Once you remove the protective cover you can loosen the Torx bolt that holds the box to the column and remove it. If the steering is unlocked! Then go to step 5.
  3. If the steering is locked, then you need to do step 1 then dremel the crimps on the electronics box to remove the cover plate.
  4. Then you pull out the circuit board. And you can apply voltage to the motor to unlock the column. Then you can remove the torx bolt in step 2. Go to step 6.
  5. Dremel off the crimps to remove the cover plate over the electronics, pull out the circuit board.
  6. Replace the 2 relays on the circuit board.
  7. Grease the steering lock mechanism! (very important since the old lithium grease they used is hard and the reason why the lock relay fails after passing too much current to move the lock motor.
  8. Reassemble the lock to the steering column.
If you don't feel like doing all this yourself, then maybe you can get someone to remove the box and send it to speedometer solutions!, They will refurbish the circuitboard.

Read more here.https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14029763
Old 06-14-2019, 12:55 PM
BionicTulip
Track Day

Default Thanks

Vulcan, great response, thanks. Mine is in the locked position, but I'll see what I can do on my own based on your walkthrough.

Cheers.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:26 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

By the way, I do happen to have 2 extra relays from China. They normally take a few weeks to get, so could save you some time.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have a Steering column replacement