Sponsored by:

958 Cayenne Diesel Timing Chain Cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 04:59 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 958 Cayenne Diesel Timing Chain Cover leak

I changed my own oil (will never do that again) 2 weeks ago on my 2013 CD, but I am glad I did it from underneath car instead of extractor which factory recommends. I saw an oil leak at bell housing of the transmission as it mates to the engine and brought it to the dealer for possible rear main crankshaft seal leak. I am the second owner, and was the dealer is NOT able to call the Orlando Porsche dealer to get previous service records, (or so they said) when I checked in the car to my Tampa Porsche Dealer after purchasing the CD from a private party, not from a Porsche dealer. So, the CD is still under factory warranty, but not CPO. They pull the transmission, and find out the leak is a timing chain cover leak. THE ENTIRE ENGINE SUBFRAME ASSEMBLY WITH SUSPENSION had to be pulled out of the truck, and parts ordered from Germany. 2 weeks later, it is back. Looking at the parts list and labor hours, this would most likely have been a $4k job for an oil leak. I am going to ask them how much it would have been. I read my service report, and it says that the Orlando Porsche dealer had replaced the main seal a year ago. The car was in service 22 months at that time. Sooo, apparently the dealer CAN SEE WHAT HAS Been done at other dealers, contradictory to what the service manager told me at my initial check in a year ago. I was told I would have to research past service history at the Orlando dealer myself. I know the service manager through PCA. Writing this to add to the database of Cayenne diesel service problems, and to me this is an indication that I need to purchase an extended warranty on this truck if I am going to keep it. The GMC duelly pickup is looking like a possiblity instead, even though I really love my Cayenne. A shame that all of the German car manufacturers cannot fix the problem of oil leaks after 50 years of complaints!!! 16 BMW's, 2 Audis, and 7 VW's and they all leaked, mostly from cover seals and RMS. 3 Porsches, all leak. Kinda done with it.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:28 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You definitely should trade in that leaky bastard. GMC uses unicorn skin for their gaskets, which is why there has never been a GMC that leaked oil. Ever.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:06 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes anything warranty related is visible by all dealers. That should at least include Major/Intermediate/OCI services too since the warranty depends on them.

As far as your issue, assuming I'm visualizing it correctly I had a similar leak that I found at my 10k OCI. Dealer blew it off as "normal seepage". The area was cleaned and it hadn't reoccured by either the 15k or 20k OCIs.

There is another 2013 CD owner that posted a thread over on Renntech (stronbl?) that also had this issue and it turned out to be a machining issue if I remember correctly. Some pretty hefty engine out work was done to his too.

Interestingly his CD and mine were built within a week or two of each other in 10/2012. Since your's is a 2013 too I'd be curious to know what your build week was.

Edit:

Here is the link: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...el-fluid-leak/

And it looks like I remembered wrong. I found it at 15k and my 20k was clear. 25k is coming up soon-ish.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:11 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wrinkeledpants sarcasm touche. Still doesn't dismiss the fact that Porsche is making record profits from US buyers who BUILT their country back from the ruins of WWII and bought 90% of their SUV's to take them from the brink of default to their GERMAN LENDERS, only to be rescued by Chase bank in the US, and yet they still audaciously build cars with oil leaks. I have owned 3 nissan SUV's. NONE of them leaked a drop of oil ever. Smirk away with coy remarks sir, but consider the source of the problem. Beat that dead horse enough I think.

Quick Reply: 958 Cayenne Diesel Timing Chain Cover leak