New member needs education on PCM

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:12 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New member needs education on PCM

Hi guys

I recently bought a 06 CTTS, with some help and advice from here. High mileage, low price, couldn't resist. 1000 miles in, I'm convinced the CTTS is right for me, just hoping I bought the right example.

So my question is, what size offset do I need to get 15" phone dials to fit over the front rotors? See pic...

OK, seriously, I like to go over my cars pretty finely, but the reason I bought this was we moved across the country to a new house, and I needed something with more cargo room and towing. A corollary to that is, we just moved across country, I'm behind in work, and the new house is taking up much more of my time than I expected! Still, I'm trying to get to a few things.

I've got a new set of Yokohamas, and changed the filters and fluids that are relatively easy, and am taking it this week to a Indy in San Antonio for the rest (i.e. transmission filter/fluid) so I have a good starting point on that. There are a few minor interior things I'd like to get around to fixing - similar to the CTTS thread on here now.

My real question is the PCM. I appear to have some crap aftermarket double-DIN touchscreen unit. It actually worked briefly, which is the real surprise. It currently doesn't work at all. I don't need a super radio, but I'd like something. I also prefer to keep things stock, if possible. I am looking on eBay for PCM units - will any work, or do I need PCM 2 or PCM 2.1, or something specific to my MY? Does it have to be from a Cayenne, or any Porsche unit? I have the Bose subwoofer in the trunk. I don't see anything special in the option codes, but I think all CTTS had the Bose system?

As I mentioned, I'd prefer the stock system, but that seems pricey for what doesn't seem to be a great system. Would the single-DIN Porsche CD-23 work? I guess I'd gain a cubby that way.

So, what are my options, and do I need to have the dealer re-program anything? Is it safe to bid on things on eBay?

I realize I need to go open that sucker up, and make sure no one hacked up the wiring to put the 'upgrade' in.

I did find a CD player in the rear, and the bose subwoofer in the spare compartment. Not sure where else to look.

Sorry if I'm a little unprepared for the question, but it has been an ordeal just getting the car to Texas and registered

Sam
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2015, 02:41 AM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a stock PCM unit that I took out of my 2005 S five years ago with 50K miles. Works great, PM me if you are interested. I had the same Bose system you do.
Brent
Old 09-02-2015, 09:56 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Thanks, PM sent

So, this is a good example - if Red and I work out a deal, will his PCM just install, or does it need to have the same feature set?

My build sheet lists
PF2 - PCM inl. DVD- and Offroad Navigation
7A2 - 6-Disc CD Changer
QV4 - Satellite Radio XM
QR1 - Compass Display

Is compass part of the PCM?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:40 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Compass is in the dash screens but I only have the little crudy set up.

I am anti most manufacturers on the radio/nav set ups........

Welcome to the P!G pen, I am up in Austin and gladly can help........I had another Turbo owner give up on his due to change in interest, I have some MAF's from him that I am happy to donate if you want to clean and test them.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:49 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Thanks Cordsig!

I certainly wouldn't pay extra for the manufacturer gps, as a TomTom of my phone seems to do a better job! Still, I like a stock appearance, and what I have doesn't work at all.

So, I pulled the old unit to see what they did to install it - how screwed am I?
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2015, 01:39 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pugface
Thanks Cordsig!

So, I pulled the old unit to see what they did to install it - how screwed am I?
Looks like you'll have to replace and rewire the two OEM wire harness plugs that go to the PCM. The OEM PCM is a Becker head unit. The critical thing is that the two big orange fiber optic leads still terminate in the black OEM plug that fits the PCM. Its hard to see in your pics. You can always restore the original wiring harness but if the fiber optic plug was cut off, that's a problem that requires special FO splicing tools and the OEM connector. Consider now whether you want to add Bluetooth while the head is out.

I'm attaching a photo of the back side of the PCM 2.1 in my 06 CTT for orientation. PM me and I may be able to provide hook-up info for the plugs.
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2015, 05:10 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I was going to go check again what I have, but I just got back from dropping it off to get the transmission fluid changed.

From what I recall, the fiber optic was OK, it was just one big main connector that they cut up to get power and speaker wires. The end of the connector is still inside, dangling by a few wires. I'll report back once I get Porka back

pf
Old 09-04-2015, 12:37 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

What they said about the hacked stock harness. PCM2.1 is from '05~'08. There were some software updates along the way and the '06~'08 PCM2.1 heads have the phone button on the control head, which is valuable to have if you want to install the Mobridge Bluetooth system. Also '05 units had Level A software and if they are not updated to Level B or later then only map discs from mid-'05 will work with them. PM me your e-mail and I can send you a couple of Porsche Tech service Bulletins on the PCM2.1 which may have some good info for you.

Quick Reply: New member needs education on PCM